CONCERN about late night captain announcement on Riviera

luchy

With soon much talk and no real answer to what happen, it shows a lack 0f follow up on "O's" part----what could be the reason to keep this from the passengers. If I were on the ship I'd want to know why they made the statement period.

Rick

Sometimes security issues need to remain "secure". IMO, in terms of the cruise industry, too much has been said about the methods used against pirates and other threats thereby giving terrorists information to assist in bypassing the security that is in place. Do agree that the statement needed to be clear and not necessarily given at a late hour (unless really necessary). The way it was handled caused passengers more concern than apparently was necessary.

With soon much talk and no real answer to what happen, it shows a lack 0f follow up on "O's" part----what could be the reason to keep this from the passengers. If I were on the ship I'd want to know why they made the statement period.

Rick

The answer to what happened is right above your post. The follow up by O was checking out the ship and finding out it was clean and then telling the passengers all was safe. If they had announced there might be a bomb onboard what would have done, jump overboard. I think this is the sort of thing that no matter what they did someone would be OUTRAGED. The best thing the Capt couid of done was say nothing.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Thank you to MobyandDick for adding some clarity to what happened. IMO I suspect many passengers were suspicious when they saw crew members searching throughout the ship, which may be why the captain felt it was necessary to make an announcement.

MobyandDick - I like your attitude. If we give in to our fears and simply stop traveling, those who try to hurt us or disrupt our lives - have succeeded. No good can come from that.

I also agree with Travelcat2 - security issues need to remain secure and I'm ok with that. There would have been nothing to gain by providing specific details of what happened that night - other than to upset passengers and create panic - panic, a close friend of fear.

The answer to what happened is right above your post. The follow up by O was checking out the ship and finding out it was clean and then telling the passengers all was safe. If they had announced there might be a bomb onboard what would have done, jump overboard. I think this is the sort of thing that no matter what they did someone would be OUTRAGED. The best thing the Capt couid of done was say nothing.

Sorry, but once they "O" makes a statement good or bad, they need to address what they put out. Maybe the Capt shouldn't have said anything in the first place, but since he did he should have made a second announcement............

Rick

Maybe the Capt shouldn't have said anything in the first place, but since he did he should have made a second announcement............

Rick

Yeah.

Captain: "...we think we're pretty sure there's no bomb...so, you can relax now."

:p

Sorry, but once they "O" makes a statement good or bad, they need to address what they put out. Maybe the Capt shouldn't have said anything in the first place, but since he did he should have made a second announcement............

Rick

Saying what?

I'm really sorry to be so dense, but I'm just not getting this. What would a second announcement or press release or whatever achieve? The situation is done and dusted.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

i have no idea where the above quote came from. This is what I said.

It is always possible that the Captain's announcement was meant for crew only,who would have been aware of what was happening, and he pressed the wrong button.

This has happened to us a few times on other lines not least on one ship where everyone on deck at New Year was waiting for the Captain's countdown, which he made to the cabins instead of the public areas!

There may have been other passengers about that did notice something unusual happening. Perhaps, for example, those on deck would have been witness to something of concern. It does sound unusual, but just pointing out that with a total of 2k people on board, we have a very small sample size being represented, so it's a bit hard for me to pass judgement in any direction.

I was on board and was well aware of the bomb threat at the time of the announcement.

I applaud the Captain for doing so. Yes, he could have worded his point better. But if he had not made the announcement rumor mongering and crack pot assumptions would be rife the next morning with the vacuum. Just as we all read at the start of the thread, several passengers swore to me in Baristas it was a "migrant boat" security concern. Seriously?

In fact, there was a high alert for the crew who were immediately notified to be posted at their stations and noticeable search of public areas took place (but not private cabins). Why would an onboard search occur if the threat was from so a so-called "migrant boat" at sea? Of course, it makes no sense.

The poster Mura who described the bomb threat was correct. When we docked in Malta there were frogmen checking the underside of Riviera - certainly not a hidey hole for migrants on a boat fleeing Libya!

Amazing how these stories take a life of their own despite evidence to the contrary.

I was on board and was well aware of the bomb threat at the time of the announcement... Just as we all read at the start of the thread, several passengers swore to me in Baristas it was a "migrant boat" security concern. Seriously?

Not contradicting or minimizing Wristband's point in any way, but a collision at sea with a migrant boat would have its own unpleasant consequences. Given that cruise ships tend to sail with strings of lights at night, I'd like to believe that even a less-than-state-of-the-art migrant smuggler's ship would be able to avoid collision. Still, I shudder to think of the havoc such a collision would cause.

Related question: I've never been out and about in the middle of the night. Do the outside strings of lights stay on throughout the night?

Related question: I've never been out and about in the middle of the night. Do the outside strings of lights stay on throughout the night?

No, they do not.

While at sea, all illumination forward of the Navigating Bridge must be extinguished at dusk for fear of distracting the Officers.

Aft of the the Bridge, safety and some ambient deck lighting will remain lit after the majority of passengers retire, but it costs money to produce electricity at sea, so the only lighting which is always "on" are those which identify the direction in which the ship is travelling to other sailors (the so called "running" or "navigation lights").

092%20navigation%20lights%202.gif

To give you some idea of what I mean, below is a photograph of RCCL's Explorer of the Seas, as she would appear at sea after midnight, while sailing towards the left side of this page.

011219.jpg

This is an image of the same ship in port at night:

Explorer%20at%20night,%20Kings%20Wharf,%20Bermuda.jpg

No, they do not.

While at sea, all illumination forward of the Navigating Bridge must be extinguished at dusk for fear of distracting the Officers.

Aft of the the Bridge, safety and some ambient deck lighting will remain lit after the majority of passengers retire, but it costs money to produce electricity at sea, so the only lighting which is always "on" are those which identify the direction in which the ship is travelling to other sailors (the so called "running" or "navigation lights").

Thanks. Very helpful explanation and photographs.