Jewel of the Seas to Alaska! May 29, 2015 Pictorial Review!

This solarium has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It needs a gut renovation! It looks so dated and tacky.

Wow, really??? I have to say that the Jewel solarium is my absolute favorite area of any on ANY ship we've been on in the fleet. We've been on 6 different ships and I've never found anything that I enjoy more.

I agree with you BGC -- the Jewel has a very nice Solarium. I don't find it dated or tacky -- sure it doesn't compare to the Oasis one or from what I've seen Quantum, but is a fabulous spot to relax and have a swim.

The exterior of the wonderfully free Seaview Cafe. Its an endangered species, and the last of its kind. RCI will shortly convert it into a restaurant that I've never seen anyone use. Good call RCI. They've actually already started ruining it though. They now charge a $10 fee to go into the Seaview at night in exchange for "premium" hamburgers and sides.

That's the first I heard of that, but I guess its moot. I won't be back on Jewel before 2017 at the earliest. I thought they already were ruining it with poor service. Quite a difference between 2012 and 2014. Maybe it was just that crew because I also had great dining room service in 2012 and terrible in 2014.

This solarium has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It needs a gut renovation! It looks so dated and tacky.

I know you will get a lot of disagreement on this one. It looks nothing like a Carnival ship :p. You should probably see it in person first.

Thank you DarthGrady.....

A little disappointed to hear the Alaska beer is not on tap, but will make the best of it.

I'm sure we will have great time.

From other posts I have read, if you go into your cruise with a negative attitude, you will have a negative cruise.

Go in with a positive attitude, and you will have a positive cruise.

We are traveling with some first time cruisers. Everyone is so positive about this cruise and looking forward to it, that nothing can deter from the experience.

Your cruise is what you make it, and we are going to have a fabulous time. Good Times, Good food, Good adventures, and most importantly, GOOD Friends to share it with.

23 days and counting.

That's very true. Much can be forgiven, or at least understood, with a positive attitude.

Quote: Before going up to the Diamond Lounge we had to stop by and see Diego, the ship’s Concierge. He’s a really personable and funny guy and was very helpful throughout the cruise. Once we made it up to the lounge, we had the pleasure of meeting Hector, our DL bartender for the week. Hector is a great guy and extremely friendly. Our drinks were kept constantly refreshed. Maria, the ship’s Loyalty Ambassador, stopped in many times throughout the week as well. She does a great job making everyone feel welcome. End Quote

Awe Hector -- my friend.:) Good to hear he is still up in the DL (Hollywood Odyssey). He was great on my cruise - and yes drinks were constantly refreshed:D. We didn't see Maria much the first few days, but by the 3rd day she popped in quite frequently.

We had our Top Tier event up on the heli-pad on Day 6 (which was Tracy Arm for us) --- hope they do the same for you -- it was a lot of fun.

Yes, ours was also up on the helipad during the cruise through Tracy Arm.

That's the first I heard of that, but I guess its moot. I won't be back on Jewel before 2017 at the earliest. I thought they already were ruining it with poor service. Quite a difference between 2012 and 2014. Maybe it was just that crew because I also had great dining room service in 2012 and terrible in 2014.

Service was just average in the Seaview this time, and some things have already been eliminated like the chicken wings basket. I had only heard about the night time surcharge right before we left, so I was disappointed. The Seaview is a much better late night dining spot than the Solarium IMO.

Day 3, Juneau:

Our first Alaskan stop was in Juneau. We didn’t arrive until noon, so we ate lunch on the ship before going ashore. On our last visit to Juneau we did a whale watching excursion and a trip to the Mendenhall Glacier. We decided that our second visit needed to be even more spectacular. Our group booked a tour through Coastal Helicopters that would take us up onto the Taku Glacier. It was arranged privately, not through the cruise line. They provided a shuttle from the pier to their office at the Juneau Airport.

Upon arrival at their office we were checked in and weighed (they charge extra for guests over 280 lbs). They outfit each guest with ice boots that slip over the shoes. After a brief safety video groups are set up for each aircraft and seating assignments are given. Our helicopter landed a few minutes later and we climbed aboard.

Shortly thereafter we were airborne, quickly heading over Juneau and past the Mendenhall Glacier. It was my first time flying in a helicopter, so the experience was exciting in many ways. Flying over the mountains and down over the glacier was amazing. After a while we touched down and were able to get out and walk around. It would be useless of me to attempt to describe the vistas up there. I can only recommend that everyone visiting Alaska should go see the glaciers. Whether it is on a hike or via helicopter, it’s worth the trip. The excursion was excellent; I hope to do it again someday.

After the glacier we walked around town for a bit before going back on board. Curiously they scheduled the past guest party for that evening even though the ship left port just before it. The party was well attended, but not packed as I had expected. The rest of the evening unfolded as usual. Vortex for music, Solarium for pizza.

At Coastal Helicopters

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B24%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533345326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu4784%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B3452%3C967326nu0mrj

Ice boots

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B%3A55%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533337326nu0mrj

Taking off, the Mendenhall Glacier is in the background

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5235%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533347326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu84%3A5%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533355326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu9236%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533359326nu0mrj

Edited by DarthGrady

Really enjoying your review of my favorite ship!!! And it is so hot here today that I am loving the pictures of the glaciers!! I was hoping that they would cool me off! Sure wish we could have fit in an Alaskan cruise this summer!!

The last time we were in Alaska we used Coastal for a helicopter trip to the Norris Glacier. I would also highly recommend them if anyone is interested in doing this. Well worth it. As a mater of fact .....they co-ordinated with Captain Larry's Whale Watching and we went whale watching in the morning, then took us to the airport to hook up with Coastal. Great day!!

Post some more "cool" pictures, please!!!! We're sweltering here!!

Great review! Can you tell me about how long you were actually in the air each direction? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Flight time each way was only about ten minutes. But you get a very good view of Juneau and the surrounding land from up there. We then had about twenty minutes on the glacier itself.

Day 4, Skagway:

Staying up late is never a great idea when you have an early tour the next morning. I was feeling every bit of that 3 am pizza run at 7:30 when we were all heading to breakfast.

Our entire group booked a tour through Frontier Excursions. They picked us up at the pier and drove us in a private shuttle to catch the White Pass and Yukon Route Scenic Railroad. We had nearly an entire train car to ourselves, there were only a few other people in the rear of the car.

We did the WP/YR RR on our last visit to Skagway, but it was the shorter route that stopped before entering Canada and returned to town. This trip went into Canada and through the Tortured Valley finally stopping at Fraser. I highly recommend the WP&YR, the views from the train going up through the mountains is awesome.

After debarking the train at Fraser (passports are required) we met our shuttle driver again and headed further into Canada and the Yukon. There were a few sightseeing stops along the way. We eventually stopped at a place called Caribou Crossing, an odd mixture of restaurants, petting zoo, gift shop, history and animal exhibits and sled dog training center. Our tour included a barbeque chicken lunch in their restaurant (there was also a vegetarian option) as well as admission to the various attractions. The lunch was decent enough, and they had good fresh doughnuts.

Our next brief stop was at the small town of Carcross. It was once a hub of activity during the gold rush. There were lots of signs explaining its history spread around for those interested enough to read about it. After Carcross we began heading back toward Skagway. We had a great experience with Frontier Excursions and I would definitely recommend them.

The evening activities were understandably sedate as many people were up early for activities. Hector kept things going in the Diamond Lounge as usual, but the dance club was nearly deserted.

The Jewel tied up in Skagway

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu62%3A7%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B345234%3A%3A326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A38%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3C25446%3B48235ot1lsi

They have a tradition in port where the crew of a new ship visiting Skagway paints their ship and captains name on the rocks above the pier

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A7%3A%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34537%3A4%3A326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu6967%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34536%3A47326nu0mrj

The WP & YR RR picks up right next to the pier

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A265%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34537%3A38326nu0mrj

The inside of our vintage parlor car

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu7796%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34537%3A63326nu0mrj