Jewel of the Seas to Alaska! May 29, 2015 Pictorial Review!

Thank you so much Grady! Awesome review. We are going in August and are Emerald but staying in a lowly inside cabin. We are wondering where we should go on the ship for the best views to sit and see etc. Bridge? Viking Crown lounge?

Also could someone educate us on the Seaview restaurant? Open for lunch included?

Cafe Latitudes- can you get a cup of coffee there like a cafe promenade? Or do you need to buy it or a punch card? Do they offer free paper cups with lids to carry around with you.

Thanks so much for any info:)!

...Cafe Latitudes- can you get a cup of coffee there like a cafe promenade? Or do you need to buy it or a punch card?...!

You can purchase coffee drinks at Cafe Latte-Tudes singly, without purchasing any card or package. Figure $4 to $5 for specialty coffee.

What about for regular plain coffee? Paper cups available to pick up?

We mainly cruise on the Voyager class ships so we are not familiar with the difference on the Radiance class.

Thanks

I don't recall if Cafe Latte-Tudes has regular plain coffee available. On Jewel, you could get coffee in Windjammer, at the drink station aft of Windjammer, and possibly at the Solarium Cafe. Don't know about paper cups.

Thank you so much Grady! Awesome review. We are going in August and are Emerald but staying in a lowly inside cabin. We are wondering where we should go on the ship for the best views to sit and see etc. Bridge? Viking Crown lounge?

Also could someone educate us on the Seaview restaurant? Open for lunch included?

Cafe Latitudes- can you get a cup of coffee there like a cafe promenade? Or do you need to buy it or a punch card? Do they offer free paper cups with lids to carry around with you.

Thanks so much for any info:)!

Hello, hope you enjoy it, she's a great ship. The great thing about the Radiance Class ships (and one of the reasons they're used for Alaska) is that they have great viewing areas pretty much everywhere. Nearly all interior spaces have huge windows. The Viking Crown Lounge is a great, quiet place to sit and enjoy the views during the day. At night it becomes the disco. It's at the top, use the mid-ship elevators or stairs.

The best outdoor views will be on deck 12, which is open all the way around the ship. That is also the deck (starboard, aft) where the Seaview cafe is located. They were usually open noon to six I think, without a cover charge. It will be listed in the Cruise Compass paper.

There is also an open promenade on deck 5 which has good views. If you go all the way forward, and up the stairs, you'll find the helipad which is a neat place to visit.

The bridge is not guest accessible, but some ships do offer a behind the scenes tour for a fee. I'm not sure if Jewel does, you'll have you inquire onboard.

Seaview Cafe opens at noon with a line of people waiting to get in! Highly recommend the Nathan's Hot Dog and onion rings. The Cuban Sandwich is good, too. The bridge is included in the behind the scenes tour but it's pricy at $149 though my husband enjoyed it as his birthday gift when we were on the Jewel in May. We like the coziness of an inside cabin for sleep and there's plenty of public areas for relaxing and views.

Seaview Cafe opens at noon with a line of people waiting to get in! Highly recommend the Nathan's Hot Dog and onion rings. The Cuban Sandwich is good, too. The bridge is included in the behind the scenes tour but it's pricy at $149 though my husband enjoyed it as his birthday gift when we were on the Jewel in May. We like the coziness of an inside cabin for sleep and there's plenty of public areas for relaxing and views.

It was odd on this cruise, the Seaview was never busy when we went there. On a couple of occasions we were the only people in there.

That is odd. Maybe because of cooler weather? On the Panama Canal cruise it was so hot that nobody wanted an outside table! Also I don't think a lot of folks discovered the Seaview until several days aboard [emoji41].

That is odd. Maybe because of cooler weather? On the Panama Canal cruise it was so hot that nobody wanted an outside table! Also I don't think a lot of folks discovered the Seaview until several days aboard [emoji41].

That's what I've experienced on previous cruises. It's usually empty the first couple of days until everyone finds it. The ratio of past guests on board can change that drastically though.

Edited by DarthGrady

What about for regular plain coffee? Paper cups available to pick up?

We mainly cruise on the Voyager class ships so we are not familiar with the difference on the Radiance class.

Thanks

I don't recall if Cafe Latte-Tudes has regular plain coffee available. On Jewel, you could get coffee in Windjammer, at the drink station aft of Windjammer, and possibly at the Solarium Cafe. Don't know about paper cups.

Latte-Tudes has 'regular' Starbucks options. A regular-sized (tall) Americano was 2.66 (with auto-tip). You also get a coffee card --buy 6 get the 7th free. They didn't have any paper cups other than what they used behind the counter -- don't know if they would give you one if asked.

It was odd on this cruise, the Seaview was never busy when we went there. On a couple of occasions we were the only people in there.

It was pretty empty anytime I went -- I too stopped in after walking around Victoria!

Sawyer Glacier, taken with my cell phone, so this would be the un-magnified viewing perspective

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu68%3A9%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B346798%3C9326nu0mrj

Sawyer Glacier, using my DSLR's zoom

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3A447%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B3454375%3A326nu0mrj

I too didn't get up early to watch us go in -- got up about 7:30 and went out on the balcony to see us doing a turn and heard the captain saying if anyone wanted a picture we'd better get now as we were leaving! So pulled on some clothes and went up to the pool deck.

Grady -- looks like you did have a lot more ice to deal with than we did (and we didn't get go in very close either).

Non-zoomed and Zoomed Pics:

2u5ulv8.jpg

wjuafd.jpg

jg5lp3.jpg

11wg381.jpg

Grady --- great pictures and review. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

My family also did the Seattle Underground Tour and enjoyed it. My brother-in-law is a history buff so we went as he wanted to go -- we were all glad we did!

Grady --- great pictures and review. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

My family also did the Seattle Underground Tour and enjoyed it. My brother-in-law is a history buff so we went as he wanted to go -- we were all glad we did!

Thank you!

Enjoyed your review. We want to head back to Alaska doing both cruise and land tour, but it will be a couple of years. Just got our Yellowstone trip pushed to next year due to a family wedding.

Hoping for 2017. Hope the ice doesn't melt.

Good luck getting the trip arranged, I hope it works out!

As usual, you do fabulous photos, and the Jewel is my favorite trip. I did a transatlantic on her and loved all 14 days.

Thank you Carol!

We were onboard June 5-12 and both embarkation and departure were super fast and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear that they got the kinks worked out.

Thanks for posting your excellent review. Great pictures!

Thank you!

The best outdoor views will be on deck 12, which is open all the way around the ship. That is also the deck (starboard, aft) where the Seaview cafe is located. They were usually open noon to six I think, without a cover charge. It will be listed in the Cruise Compass paper.

Hi Again Grady,

Been loving your posts and pics. 12 more days until we sail. Getting down the luggage TODAY.

My wife asked if I could ask if you had any pics of the Daily Compass, possibly one of a Sea Day?

Thanks

Edited by Den Leader

Hi Again Grady,

Been loving your posts and pics. 12 more days until we sail. Getting down the luggage TODAY.

My wife asked if I could ask if you had any pics of the Daily Compass, possibly one of a Sea Day?

Thanks

Hello, and thank you! Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures of the Compasses. Hope you enjoy your cruise!