Jewel of the Seas to Alaska! May 29, 2015 Pictorial Review!

This solarium has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It needs a gut renovation! It looks so dated and tacky.

I doubt you will see much change to this space other than the switchover to the Park Cafe from the Solarium cafe if Radiance gives us any example. For me, it would be much better if they just removed all or most the fake plants all over the ship! They were everywhere on Radiance two weeks ago - even in the Centrum :rolleyes: Maybe I'm spoiled by Central Park now on the Oasis class?

Looking forward to rest of your review, great photos. How were you able to take so many photos without and passengers in the shots?

I just choose my timing carefully. I either wait for port days when the ship clears out, or late in the evening.

Thanks Grady- Great pictures- Can't wait to hear the rest :)

Thanks Ellen!

This solarium has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. It needs a gut renovation! It looks so dated and tacky.

They'll do a minor amount of work to it during the refurb, but not much. As another poster said, the conversion of the Solarium Cafe into a Park Cafe is the biggest change.

Remember, you are only sailing on the ship for vacation, not buying it to live in.

I loved the fact that the solarium was covered and the fruit punch tasted good ( at least on Radiance in 2012). That was my first Royal Caribbean cruise. 😃

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This is so timely and fabulous, Grady! Thank you so much. Look forward to reading your trip report too. We are taking our family ....15 of us including 7 grands aged 5-11. This is a celebration of my husband's 70th birthday. I have been looking at weather reports as we depart Seattle Friday June 26. As much as I am excited, I am anxious too. Just want everyone to enjoy...hoping the grands will enjoy the kid activities so that we can have some adult time with our 3 children and their spouses. We have booked the private dining rooms for night 3 and night 7. I loved seeing the Mimi golf course, the climbing wall and the basketball court. We are hoping for great formal night pictures and to that end the boys/men will wear tuxedos. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we hope it will be educational as well as fun. Thank you for posting!

I doubt you will see much change to this space other than the switchover to the Park Cafe from the Solarium cafe if Radiance gives us any example. For me, it would be much better if they just removed all or most the fake plants all over the ship! They were everywhere on Radiance two weeks ago - even in the Centrum :rolleyes: Maybe I'm spoiled by Central Park now on the Oasis class?

You're right- the fake plants (which turn a weird teal color) really make it worse. Just taking them out would be an improvement! I much prefer the more modern, spa-like looking solariums!

Darth Grady, I look forward to the rest of your review, great start! (Sorry I didn't say that before I started slamming the ugly solarium!) :)

Edited by micmacmissy

This is so timely and fabulous, Grady! Thank you so much. Look forward to reading your trip report too. We are taking our family ....15 of us including 7 grands aged 5-11. This is a celebration of my husband's 70th birthday. I have been looking at weather reports as we depart Seattle Friday June 26. As much as I am excited, I am anxious too. Just want everyone to enjoy...hoping the grands will enjoy the kid activities so that we can have some adult time with our 3 children and their spouses. We have booked the private dining rooms for night 3 and night 7. I loved seeing the Mimi golf course, the climbing wall and the basketball court. We are hoping for great formal night pictures and to that end the boys/men will wear tuxedos. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we hope it will be educational as well as fun. Thank you for posting!

Thanks Grady! Can't wait to hear about the cruise. Leaving for this same cruise aboard the Jewel the first week of July!

Glad you folks are enjoying it, there's lots more to come. Hope you enjoy your cruises as much as we did!

Wow, really??? I have to say that the Jewel solarium is my absolute favorite area of any on ANY ship we've been on in the fleet. We've been on 6 different ships and I've never found anything that I enjoy more.

Our Cabin:

We had cabin 3608, which is an ocean view (window only) room on deck 3. It was a good location being close to the stairwell and elevators, but not too close. The cabin had been updated slightly with a flat screen TV. After several cruises on the Brilliance and older Vision Class ships it was great having the sliding shower doors instead of the attack shower curtains. Our room steward did a great job keeping the room clean. We had no issues with the cabin whatsoever.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu827%3B%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B345234%3C9326nu0mrj

C&A gifts

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu55%3B8%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B345234%3C%3A326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu836%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3C254325%3B%3C235ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu73%3B4%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533332326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu4536%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34533334326nu0mrj

Day 1, Seattle:

After the lengthy embarkation we dropped our bags off at the room and headed up to the Seaview Café for a late lunch. The food in there was good, and service was fast. After the muster drill we watched sail away from the helipad at the bow of the ship.

The Seattle skyline

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B277%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34543778326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C%3B9%3B%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34543786326nu0mrj

Before going up to the Diamond Lounge we had to stop by and see Diego, the ship’s Concierge. He’s a really personable and funny guy and was very helpful throughout the cruise. Once we made it up to the lounge, we had the pleasure of meeting Hector, our DL bartender for the week. Hector is a great guy and extremely friendly. Our drinks were kept constantly refreshed. Maria, the ship’s Loyalty Ambassador, stopped in many times throughout the week as well. She does a great job making everyone feel welcome.

The Concierge Lounge

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu4593%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B346787%3C9326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu9786%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B3467%3C335326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5839%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B346787%3C%3B326nu0mrj

Some new signage in the Hollywood Odyssey, apparently its required in Alaska. That's the story I got anyway.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B%3B%3C%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D9%3A8%3D773%3DXROQDF%3E2%3C25587886235ot1lsi

We all decided to eat dinner in the Windjammer and avoid the often chaotic experience in the main dining room on the first night. After dinner we eventually ended up in the Vortex, the ship’s nightclub. The bartenders kept the revolving bar going all night and the crowd was surprisingly large for an Alaskan cruise. On my last cruise to Alaska the bars and clubs were totally deserted. It was refreshing to find myself onboard with a small but dedicated group of fellow bon vivants. The night ended, as so many do, with some really marginal pizza from the Solarium Café.

Day 2, At Sea:

Our second day onboard was spent at sea, traveling north toward Alaskan waters. After a late night in the club, I was in no rush to get up so I missed breakfast. In the afternoon a few of us attended a presentation on the history of glacial formation. We had a glacier excursion planned for Juneau so it seemed like a good idea. The speaker was very knowledgeable, if a bit dry.

After the presentation I made a trip up to the gym. The gym on the Jewel is very nicely positioned at the front and top of the ship. It has huge windows that offer great views while working out.

The evening went as usual. A stop into the DL was followed by dinner at Portofinos. I had never eaten at one before, as I generally preferred Chops. But since they are being quickly phased out, it seemed like a good idea to try one at least once. I was very impressed by the level of service and the quality of the food. I had the Papardelle Ai Funghi (ribbon pasta, sautéed mushrooms in a cream sauce) and it was delicious. The tiramisu for dessert was also very good.

Only two pics from the sea day. My wife's mom and her friend had birthdays before the cruise, so the crew in Portofinos brought them a special dessert.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5787%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B3454378%3A326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu877%3A%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B34543792326nu0mrj

Edited by DarthGrady

Glad you folks are enjoying it, there's lots more to come. Hope you enjoy your cruises as much as we did!

Hi DarthGrady,

Yet another soon to cruising on JOS. We depart on July 10th; 25 days to go.

I posted a question (or two) on another post to someone else who was doing this itenarery n June as well. If you can, might you address there during your review.

Was it warm enough to swim in the outside pool during the first couple of days? We are traveling with 4 children ages 11, 12,13,14 (not all ours).

Was their any Alaska Themed drinks of the day?

As the ship is now re-supplying in the North West vs the South East, did you notice any regional dishes or food.

Did they have Alaska Beer on Tap.

We are having trouble finding out about Themed nights or Pub Craw for the during the cruise. I know there is formal night, but was there anything else?

Was the solarium crowded on Sea Days? I'm planning on spending some quite time during sea days, or if I just want to get away. Our Party includes my wife and I, Three of her girl friends and 4 children.

Hope this is not too many questions. Looking forward to your review and the cruise.

Hi DarthGrady,

Yet another soon to cruising on JOS. We depart on July 10th; 25 days to go.

I posted a question (or two) on another post to someone else who was doing this itenarery n June as well. If you can, might you address there during your review.

Was it warm enough to swim in the outside pool during the first couple of days? We are traveling with 4 children ages 11, 12,13,14 (not all ours).

The temperature on the sea days was a little chilly, due to the wind as the ship was doing nearly top speed. On the port days the temps were in the low to mid 70s and mostly sunny. I believe the pools are heated, because the water felt to be normal temperature. There were a few, but not many people using the main pool on those days.

Was their any Alaska Themed drinks of the day?

I'm not sure about the DODs, but they did have Alaskan beers for sale in the Schooner Bar.

As the ship is now re-supplying in the North West vs the South East, did you notice any regional dishes or food.

Not that I can recall, mostly the same old cruise food.

Did they have Alaska Beer on Tap.

Not on tap, but as I mentioned above, they had a few types in the bottles.

We are having trouble finding out about Themed nights or Pub Craw for the during the cruise. I know there is formal night, but was there anything else?

Formal nights were #2 and #5. The only big themed party was the 70s dance in the Centrum on night #6.

Was the solarium crowded on Sea Days? I'm planning on spending some quite time during sea days, or if I just want to get away. Our Party includes my wife and I, Three of her girl friends and 4 children.

It was moderately populated, but nothing like you may have seen on Caribbean cruises.

Hope this is not too many questions. Looking forward to your review and the cruise.

No problem, hope it helps!

No problem, hope it helps!

Thank you DarthGrady.....

A little disappointed to hear the Alaska beer is not on tap, but will make the best of it.

I'm sure we will have great time.

From other posts I have read, if you go into your cruise with a negative attitude, you will have a negative cruise.

Go in with a positive attitude, and you will have a positive cruise.

We are traveling with some first time cruisers. Everyone is so positive about this cruise and looking forward to it, that nothing can deter from the experience.

Your cruise is what you make it, and we are going to have a fabulous time. Good Times, Good food, Good adventures, and most importantly, GOOD Friends to share it with.

23 days and counting.

Quote: Before going up to the Diamond Lounge we had to stop by and see Diego, the ship’s Concierge. He’s a really personable and funny guy and was very helpful throughout the cruise. Once we made it up to the lounge, we had the pleasure of meeting Hector, our DL bartender for the week. Hector is a great guy and extremely friendly. Our drinks were kept constantly refreshed. Maria, the ship’s Loyalty Ambassador, stopped in many times throughout the week as well. She does a great job making everyone feel welcome. End Quote

Awe Hector -- my friend.:) Good to hear he is still up in the DL (Hollywood Odyssey). He was great on my cruise - and yes drinks were constantly refreshed:D. We didn't see Maria much the first few days, but by the 3rd day she popped in quite frequently.

We had our Top Tier event up on the heli-pad on Day 6 (which was Tracy Arm for us) --- hope they do the same for you -- it was a lot of fun.