Inside or Obstructed Oceanview

Bocagirl1

Hi

We are sailing on Diamond Princess and booked in C518 inside cabin but thinking of moving to E415 which is partially obstructed oceanview by the lifts and above Crooners

Anyone sailed in either of these and any opinions will be gratefully received

Thanks very much :)

Hi

We are sailing on Diamond Princess and booked in C518 inside cabin but thinking of moving to E415 which is partially obstructed oceanview by the lifts and above Crooners

A link to the view from E415. Great "view". Go for it:D

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/diamond-sapphire-princess/cabins-400--425

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Hi

Let there be light! :D

If the price difference is small, I'd book obstructed cabin.

If the price difference is substantial, it depends upon your cruising style. There is no reason to spend a lot more if you are "only in cabin to sleep and shower and such" types. I'm in my cabin a bit more than that and I appreciate eve a bit of natural light.

19 nights Sydney to Singapore

450 lbs in US dollars is $700; $350 /pp. That nets out to approx. $18.42/per day/pp. Only you can know if daylight is worth the difference.

I wouldn't want to spend almost three weeks in darkness.

Both seem to be a good location. Both are centrally located. I think Caribe will be much quieter if you are a light sleeper. Emerald deck is right above Crooners and I can bet you will be hearing the piano playing every night at least till 11 pm. Even though I prefer a window if I had to choose from only these two cabins I would take the inside just for the quiet at night. Now if you look at the deck plans one deck below the Caribe deck there is one large blank area about one cabin over from yours. Not sure what is going on in that area. That might also be a concern. Flip a coin. :)

OV obstructed cabins are a little larger than insides. For a longer cruise, I would want the extra space, light , and some view.

Not always. On the orginal Grand-class ships (Grand, Golden, Star) the OV obstructed cabins toward the aft (E700-series) are definitely smaller than the standard inside cabins on higher decks--the center of the ship bulges out more, especially near the aft lift lobby, shrinking the size of the exterior cabins.

Personally I find having the sunlight to help me wake up in the morning essential, though I have taken cruises as long as 11 days in an inside cabin and enjoyed them. But considering Princess makes upsell offers of around $20 pp/pd to go from inside to balcony cabins, I sure wouldn't pay $18 pp/pd just to move to an obstructed OV. Since you are not sailing until March 2016 I would wait until closer to final payment date to see if the price goes down--with the knowledge that you are risking that the price may go up, or the ship may be sold out by then.

Lets wait and see if any of the cruise critic folks have had inside cabins in that area and had any complaints. Really don't have an answer. I like the Plaza deck but the same issue there also. There are crew working areas below Plaza and so you never know. Hopefully someone will come to your rescue with some good advise. I'm just speculating. :)

Not always. On the orginal Grand-class ships (Grand, Golden, Star) the OV obstructed cabins toward the aft (E700-series) are definitely smaller than the standard inside cabins on higher decks--the center of the ship bulges out more, especially near the aft lift lobby, shrinking the size of the exterior cabins.

Personally I find having the sunlight to help me wake up in the morning essential, though I have taken cruises as long as 11 days in an inside cabin and enjoyed them. But considering Princess makes upsell offers of around $20 pp/pd to go from inside to balcony cabins, I sure wouldn't pay $18 pp/pd just to move to an obstructed OV. Since you are not sailing until March 2016 I would wait until closer to final payment date to see if the price goes down--with the knowledge that you are risking that the price may go up, or the ship may be sold out by then.

Looking at the deck plans it doesn't really look like the OV cabin is obstructed. At least with a life boat.

I think for the price difference I would book the obstructed. The light just makes so much difference especially on a longer cruise such as yours. You could get lucky and book the inside and be upgraded like we were as well! But we were very lucky to have that upgrade.

I've stayed in the E700 cabins on the Star and the Golden because we like to be by the aft elevator. While I'm not sure the footage is actually larger, the rooms that have the bed along the side wall and not under the window definitely feel larger. I've been in insides on the Grand and CB - different decks and areas and they have all been identical. Never have been in an inside that I feel is larger than the obstructed OV's and it's not just the window being open, it feels bigger with the curtains closed.

Edited by mek

A lot will depend on how you spend your days. We tend to only sleep and shower etc in the cabin therefore we do inside now all the time. We previously did balcony cabins. In my opinion I'm not sure the length of the cruise has a lot to do with it - our last cruise was 31 days on the Golden (Caribe- midship) in an inside cabin - no worries. Even when we had balconies we spent little time there and feel that the added cost did not justify having one. Never had an obstructed view but principle is the same.:)

A lot will depend on how you spend your days. We tend to only sleep and shower etc in the cabin therefore we do inside now all the time. We previously did balcony cabins. In my opinion I'm not sure the length of the cruise has a lot to do with it - our last cruise was 31 days on the Golden (Caribe- midship) in an inside cabin - no worries. Even when we had balconies we spent little time there and feel that the added cost did not justify having one. Never had an obstructed view but principle is the same.:)

I agree. Have had a mini, an OV and and inside, and next time, it will be another inside. I found it very cozy, and not a problem at all. We loved it, and would not waste any extra on an OV.

I agree. Have had a mini, an OV and and inside, and next time, it will be another inside. I found it very cozy, and not a problem at all. We loved it, and would not waste any extra on an OV.

I always think I will miss something. :rolleyes:

I think I understand when you say you may miss something. I love the arrival and departure to and from the various docks - love the activity etc. but I have come to realise that while there is a little more inconvenience, you can see more from being out on a deck anyway. We tend to spend a lot of time in the lounges etc and the atrium area reading books, drinking coffee etc when not doing activities.:)

I always think I will miss something. :rolleyes:

In this case it's location. Do you really want to be directly over Crooners for the OV? Does this ship have a piano directly under this cabin? Maybe a different location would work better if available.