The Beach House on Ventura

amajaa

I would recommend going purely as somewhere different to eat. We ate there twice on our cruise last week, I thought the food was ok but not considerably better than the MDR. The Beach House is simply a section of the buffet restaurant that is sectioned off at night for the cover charge meal. You can read my thoughts on some of the restaurants I visited by clicking on my Vetura review in my signature at the bottom of this post.

On the first visit I had coconut battered prawns for starters which sounded gorgeous, but they were dry and tasted plain. For the main meal I had the beef ribs, which were very fatty.

On the second visit I had nachos for starter, which as expected was just the same as if you'd emptied a bag of nachos onto a plate at home, added grated cheese and some chillies. Nothing special at all. For mains I had steak on lava stone (£3 extra) which was really nice. Basically its a thick seared raw steak served on a sizzling hot stone, so the steak keeps on cooking until you've eaten it. It was served with onion rings and oven chips. Reminded me of something you'd knock together from Iceland.

But as I say, it was an alternative to the buffet or MDR and it it was fine.

IMG_7798_zpszfuopn6s.jpg

Edited by Big Stevie

I agree with Stevie, it's somewhere different to go but the food was a bit disappointing to both of us. Still loved being in there with a nice table by the window but (and this was on Azura) we much preferred the food when it was an Italien. Felt very bloated after eating in there - never felt like after eating in the MDR!

The Glasshouse was our favourite - the 3 plates for £5 were amazing and the steak was lovely (I had the smallest steak and it was about £5.60)

Are the 3 plates for £5 enough for one meal? I've looked at the Glass House menu when we have passed by but thought they were just little starter plates. There never seems to be anyone eating in the Glass House when we have passed through.

The 3 plates are fine for lunch, well they were for us! On Ventura the Glass House was quite quiet but that's one of the reasons we liked it! I've just come back from Azura and it got noticably busier in their Glass House as the cruise went on. Saw plenty of people having the 3 plates for lunch.

Edited by P&O SUE

Havent tried the beach house restaurant on Ventura but have tried it 4x on Britannia

3 course meal for £5 - drinks obviously extra - the steak on the stone was £3 extra, didnt try it but looked delicious

Agree with the comments about it being an unhurried experience, it was also a part of the buffet restaurant closed off for sole use as the beach house

Can also recommend Sindhu - but go in hungry as you will come out stuffed !!

• 3 weeks later...

I have also tried The Beach House on The Ventura.. we went twice it was that good! £5 for 3 courses each! I had the Prawns to start, The steak on the lava stone was so delicious, and key lime cheesecake for dessert. (which wasn't the usual key lime cheesecake you get anywhere else!) You must try it, you won't be disappointed! :D;)

We use the Beach House when we don't fancy being stuck in the mdr for 2 hours +. The food is fairly simple U.S. themed but the simplicity is for us part of the attraction. I often feel "fooded out" on cruises so the Beach House is a welcome relief. On a Fjords cruise it was lovely watching the scenery glide by.

We use the Beach House when we don't fancy being stuck in the mdr for 2 hours +. The food is fairly simple U.S. themed but the simplicity is for us part of the attraction. I often feel "fooded out" on cruises so the Beach House is a welcome relief. On a Fjords cruise it was lovely watching the scenery glide by.

Could not agree more.After a day in the Caribbean sun this is a welcome change from the overrated MDRs. Light meals are our preference on holiday.

The service was excellent, loved the steak and the burgers and the chicken stir fry. Perfect holiday food in attractive surroundings and much quieter than the MDRs!!!!!!!

We ate at the Beach House on Aurora. It was okay, but it's what I call 'Boy Food', i.e. not fine dining, just fancy burgers, frozen fries, etc served on tableware with cutlery as opposed to finger food eaten from a poly-carton. The service was excellent. We had starter and mains and were stuffed. Our waiter tried to ply us with desserts but to no avail. (Note to all waiters: even though the food may be 'free', the calories never are!).

We much prefer the Glass House (especially on Azura) and have eaten both lunch and dinner there. The 3 taster plates are my preference and are very satisfying. The steaks are excellent, the fish is delicious, and the fries do not appear to have journeyed from the freezer to the oven. We have dined there on formal nights and not felt cheated by not going to the MDR. Can thoroughly recommend.

Yes to boy food, except it wouldn't appeal to my boy at all. He doesn't do burgers, nachos etc.

Ah but Jean - your 'boy' is a suave, sophisticated man-of-the-world. As befits an elegant, sophisticated woman-of-the-world! :). Btw - I agree, I wouldn't give the Beach House Menu house-room! I'm on a cruise-ship not in a local retail park. I too will really miss Sorrento on Oriana.

Edited by Britboys
addition

Well thank you kind sir, I will tell him!. And not to mention the other lovely lady we have with us. Can you imagine her eating burgers or ribs and nachos? I think not.

We might try Sindhu though. It's a 21 day cruise, so we will need a change. we will be eating out in Venice as we are there overnight.

Edited by jeanlyon

Indeed not Jean. I can understand them introducing Sindhu on Oriana. It is very popular and seems to be quality dining. The Beach House on the other hand is akin to a branch of Frankie & Benny. Nothing wrong with that in the right place but imho, I don't think that place is Oriana.

Very sad - really enjoyed Sorrento. No matter. We will give Sindhu a chance and probably the buffet one evening. getting excited, now but before that Shirley and I are off to Antwerp in the car on Sunday :-) Leaving my boy at home on his own. However, he does have food.

Oh dear, apparently I won't be doing Sindhu either - it's the Ocean Grill and to be honest looking at the menus for Ocean Grill, doesn't look much different to the MDR. I suppose if you love steak it's OK, but we don't.

Just had another look at the Beach House menu - even if we did decide to try it, everything I would try has yet another charge!

Cook your own Fillet of Beef on Lava Rock £6.50

6oz fillet of beef served with three dips, confit tomato, sautéed field mushroom and onion rings*

Fruits de Mer £9.50

Grilled lobster tail, breaded mussels, calamari, grilled cod and tiger prawns in garlic butter

Churrasco of Beef Fillet, Chorizo, Scallops and Bacon £6.50

You've already paid a fiver for goodness sake!

Edited by jeanlyon