Ever ate in two Specialty Restaurants in one night?

Sandman799

Need some advice from those who have eaten at two Specialty Restaurants in the same night. For our Getaway cruise in September I bought the UDP when all that was offered was the 7 day plan, for $140 each. We would be able to eat at more than one Specialty Restaurant in the same day with the 7 day UDP, but from what I've read on here, the 3 to 6 day plans may only allow you to eat in one specialty restaurant per night. We're considering changing to maybe a 4 day plan since one night we will eat at Illusionarium and may not have time for a different dinner, and I'd like to hit up O'Sheehan's Prime Rib one night when they're serving that. Maybe even see what dinner in the MDR is like. On the other hand, we'd like to get the most out of the Specialties as we can too by visiting two in one night, but don't know if that's even feasible or not.

Before I make any changes, I want to hear from those who've eaten in two specialties in one night so we know if this is a benefit to the 7 day plan that we'd likely use or not.

1. Are the meals small enough that one could still have an appetite for a second one, or maybe not a full meal but just the entree or desert if scheduled 3- 4 hours apart?

2. Are we correct in assuming each meal will take 90 minutes? Maybe less if we skip dessert?

3. Le Bistro extras like Lobster don't cost extra with the 7 day plan, but I think will cost extra with the other plans. Is this a major benefit to keeping the 7 day plan or not? I'd like to have both steak and lobster if I can get it.

Any input from foodies out there who've tried to maximize the value of the 7 day plan by attempting two specialty meals in one night would be greatly appreciated!

It's up to you, but the portions are so huge, I cannot imagine eating at more than one specialty restaurant in a night. Moderno wipes me out - I have to pick and choose there or I would be sick afterwards. Usually I get about 4 salad items (out of over 20) and eat about 3 types of meat out of probably 10. If you have the Cote d'Bouef in Le Bistro - well it's just gigantic - like a whole roast and the steaks in Cagney's are just huge - I believe the smallest is an 8oz filet mignon, but many are 12oz or more! A normal portion of beef is 4oz. Add to any of these entrees an appetizer or salad and a dessert and you've probably racked up 1500 to 2000 calories in one meal or more than most people eat in a day.

Still I saw people eating lots more than we normally do. Who can forget the 3 people I saw in the elevator with entire plates of fried bacon? They must have had 20 strips or more apiece. To each his own.

If you can polish off two gigantic meals in one night, more power to you! Go for it!

I can't speak for everyone,but I can not beleive anyone could eat and enjoy more than one dinner a night period, much less in a specialty dining. Some I have heard of will have dinner in one and go back for dessert in another specialty dining room later but not 2 full meals. In fact we often don't have room for dessert after eating in Cagney's or Le Bistro and hubby loves his sweets.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We just got off the Star and had the UDP and it was fantastic. Sometimes (because of late reservations) we had appetizers at one resteraunt before our dinner later on. We also had dinner at one resteraunt and then get desserts later from somewhere else.

I'd reccomend the 7 day package and definitely make reservations before you get on the ship. You can always change them later (if available) but its good to have made them in advance. By day two on the ship it was hard to make changes to reservations.

3. Le Bistro extras like Lobster don't cost extra with the 7 day plan, but I think will cost extra with the other plans. Is this a major benefit to keeping the 7 day plan or not? I'd like to have both steak and lobster if I can get it.

It looks like both packages have the same rules here: extra-charge entrées like lobster are included, but ordering two main courses at Le Bistro costs an extra $10.

The SDP terms and conditions put it like this: "Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00."

The UDP puts it like this: "Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. […] $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s."

So you can order the lobster at Le Bistro, for no extra charge, but if you also order the steak as a second main course, they will charge you $10. But you can ask for "surf & turf" as an off-menu item, served as a single main course, and people have reportedly gotten that for no extra charge under the UDP. It should be the same under the SDP, but I think in general we will have to wait until August to hear first-hand exactly what you can and cannot do with these new packages.

I can't even eat all that comes with 1 specialty meal...I can't imagine doing 2....and paying for 2 that you can't enjoy!

I don't think people are talking about back-to-back. You can do a specialty at 5:30, go to show and do stuff, and then have a late dinner at another.

Well with a $10 charge for a second entree, it makes you wonder if they will allow you to have 2 full dinners in a single evening.
They do allow it under the UDP. It's like the UBP: Technically you can't order two drinks at once (unless you pay full price for the second one), but you can order them one after another. These packages are unlimited, but they don't want to make it too easy for you to pig out.

On the gem a couple of weeks ago we would have dinner in a specialty and then have dessert from another later on that evening. Full disclosure, I usually had dessert sent to the cabin as we were in a suite. The main reason we put off dessert is because we were always so full after the appetizer and main course. I don't believe you would have any isues with going to 2 specialties per night, but you might have an issue with getting a reservation. I suggest making them early as well. The specialties filled up rapidly as the week progressed.

Yes, but that's for two people, right? You can't order it by yourself even with the current UDP, right?

Yes it is for 2 people, but even shared, it is a massive serving of meat. Out of 5 slices each (a total of 10 slices of beef), my husband was able to eat 3 of his and I ate 2. It was delicious, but waaaaaaaaaay too much food, even for 2.

Yes, but that's for two people, right? You can't order it by yourself even with the current UDP, right?

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

Just for some clarification ...we did order the additional cost items from Le Bistro with the 7 day UDP and it didn't cost us a penny.

Also - I added a lobster tail to my dinner in Cagneys and it didnt cost me extra.

Not sure if the Lobster tail was a freebee as we tipped the previous night we were in there and the servers and host new us by name.

We never had an additional gratuity added to our check with the 7 day UDP.

Here is a pic of Cagneys Steak and Lobster (5oz filet)

f0df6aa0ad0764a5b2731d9c33f56cf0.jpg

-Sean

Just for some clarification ...we did order the additional cost items from Le Bistro with the 7 day UDP and it didn't cost us a penny.

Also - I added a lobster tail to my dinner in Cagneys and it didnt cost me extra.

Not sure if the Lobster tail was a freebee as we tipped the previous night we were in there and the servers and host new us by name.

We never had an additional gratuity added to our check with the 7 day UDP.

Here is a pic of Cagneys Steak and Lobster (5oz filet)

f0df6aa0ad0764a5b2731d9c33f56cf0.jpg

-Sean

what I understand is that a lobster tail is considered an add-on and is free w/udp.

under the OLD cagney's menu, you can get a lobster tail add-on for $8. it's no longer listed but apparently the restaurant still honors it.

if you ordered the lobster tail/shrimp/linguini entrée (in addition to your steak), it would be $10

Does anyone know what the latest is you can be seated in the specialty restaurant? Is it say 10:30pm or 11 pm?

I don't think they will seat you that late, or you wouldn't be leaving until after midnight, in most cases. I think the latest seating would be around 9-9:30 pm pm. Anyone know for sure? :)

Edited by Rala
typo

I don't think they will seat you that late, or you wouldn't be leaving until after midnight, in most cases. I think the latest seating would be around 9-9:30 pm pm. Anyone know for sure? :)

On our Star trip last week the latest reservation was 9:30pm. I believe they were closed by 10:00pm unless you were already seated.

So if the OP is taking a 7 day cruise and purchases a 5 day UDP, is that broken down to five specialty visits? Could you eat apps at Le Bistro before your ressie at Cagney's or would that constitute 2 days of UDP? The idea for me is that I have a child 4, who can last 45 minutes at most on best behaviour. If I could break up our meals throughout the night, he would be able to join us more often instead of being sent to kids club. At the same time, we want to try at least 2 "free" options.