Inside Passage - Southbound

Karen Lynn

Question if anyone recalls or knows

When doing the 'Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers' with Princess. The last night after leaving Ketchikan..I'm assuming the largest part of the passage is travelled at night thereby missing best views? I know the last sea day is through the passage ...but....:confused:

Question if anyone recalls or knows

When doing the 'Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers' with Princess. The last night after leaving Ketchikan..I'm assuming the largest part of the passage is travelled at night thereby missing best views? I know the last sea day is through the passage ...but....:confused:

If you can find a copy of Anne Vipond's book in your library . She has a good description of the trip. She lives on Vancouver Island .

We had some good wildlife sightings after leaving Ketchikan when we sailed this itinerary. It was the only time we saw orcas. If you get up early the last morning, you can watch sailing under the bridge going into Vancouver.

We regularly see wildlife between Ketchikan and the North End of Vancouver Island. This usually the first (NB) and last (SB) full day of the cruise .

This last May(2015) we saw dolphins (seal ?) , humpbacks and Orcas during this part of the cruise .

Thanks everyone...how early to see the bridge...are we talking?:D

Its the Lions Gate bridge and you will pass under it about 1/2 hr before docking so about 6 to 6:30 am. You will sail by my home on the port side about 4:30 am but please don't honk.:

:D

The evening and night that you leave Ketchikan is spent in Hecate Strait where you are some distance from the Queen Charlotte Islands and the smaller islands to the east then you cross thru Queen Charlotte Sound which is a pretty open body of water so there is really not a lot of scenery in either body of water. However the next day as you reach the northern tip of Vancouver Island the scenery becomes spectacular, particularly going thru Seymour Narrows which is dependent on tide and currents so I hope you go thru during daylight or twilight hours which is often the case.

My advice would be to look to starboard as you approach the

Lions Gate Bridge and watch Stanley Park go by at 1000 acres it is as large as Central Park in NYC. As you you approach Canada Place you will see building with a large red S on it...it is where I was officed for the last 20 years of my

career.

Awesome..thanks all!

I'm wondering...port side might be best for this itinerary?

There is always a debate on the topic of port vs. starboard....both sides arrive at the same time though. Some will argue that the port side is better for the narration on your glacier day(s), however veteran Alaska cruisers will tell you that if you stay in your cabin or on your balcony you will only see 1/2 of glaciers and the scenery that this cruise offers. To take in everything in you really need to be out on deck and moving around.

So far this season, all southbound vessels board Pilots at the north end of Vancouver Island between 12:00 and 14:00; thus transiting the very scenic waters between Vancouver Island and the mainland during day light hours. Darkness usually falls just south of Campbell River. The ships then run slow for Vancouver harbor with first lines ashore ordered for 07:00. The order through First Narrows is determined by the berth the vessel is bound for. Those that reverse into their assigned dock usually go last so as to not hold the other 1 or 2 up while they complete their turn.