Is this OK for formal night on Carnival Miracle?

Hi! We'll be sailing the Miracle this October, stopping in Cabo and PV. We did this itinerary a couple of years ago, and DH and I discovered we were WAY over dressed on formal night in a cocktail dress and suit. So I'm trying to find the perfect balance of classy and dressy but not too dressy, if that makes sense.

With that in mind, do you think something like this would work for formal night? Or is it a better fit for the "cruise casual" evenings? Or is it just terrible and shouldn't be worn at all?

http://www.zulily.com/p/white-turquoise-floral-shirred-midi-dress-142328-24616581.html?pos=37&fromEvent=142328&

People who "over dress" on Carnival Elegant Nights are actually the ones who look out-of -place! ;)...:D

LuLu

I totally agree Lulu! I felt super over dressed, and I had been worried I wasn't fancy enough! So I'm trying to avoid that this time.

Thanks for the replies all! I'll go ahead and give this a try. Hopefully it's not too dressy! For some reason "cruise elegant" is hard for me. Probably because I have casual sundresses and cocktail dresses, but nothing really in between that works well for a cruise.

It's a nice looking dress - but it looks like you might need a slip with it. If you look at the arms, they are very sheer; maybe it's lined, I can't tell. Pair it with some nice strappy sandals and a bit of bling on your wrist and ears and you'll look lovely.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said....it's perfectly fine for the "dress up" nights on a Carnival cruise...which is what line you'll be cruising with. It's tropical motif is also perfect for your itinerary in Mexico. I hope you have an awesome cruise!

Thanks for the replies all! I ended up not getting it. It wasn't really my style, and I don't think I'd wear it anywhere else. Seemed like it could be fun for a cruise, but then would just take up space in the closet until I cruise again. I ended up getting this instead, which I can dress up or down as needed for work, church, weddings, etc.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/botanical-breakfast-dress-in-navy-blossoms

Neither of these fit the definition of "formal" wear, but either will look fine on a cruise ship, as very few people actually wear true "formal" wear on formal night.

Yes, I understand that. If you read my original post, I state that I was very OVER dressed for "formal" night on my last cruise, and so I am leaving my cocktail dresses at home and trying to find something that will blend in a bit better. DH and I felt ridiculous on our last cruise, and ended up wearing what we'd brought for regular nights in the MDR for the second formal night.

Yes, I understand that. If you read my original post, I state that I was very OVER dressed for "formal" night on my last cruise, and so I am leaving my cocktail dresses at home and trying to find something that will blend in a bit better. DH and I felt ridiculous on our last cruise, and ended up wearing what we'd brought for regular nights in the MDR for the second formal night.

I read that. Just wanted to clarify for the possible benefit of others who may be reading. Enjoy!