Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

A 7 day disney ticket is $356, not including park hopper. Now add in meals and lodging. I'm not sure how you can possibly go to disney even twice for the cost of one cruise.

To get that 2:1 ratio I think you'll have to stay at the fort wilderness campground and make most or all of your own food. Or you're staying in a Grand Suite or better. I just don't see how you can make the math work if you're really serious and making a apples to apples comparison.

A Disney vacation doesn't mean 7 days in a park or staying on a Disney property, why would you do that? Stay in a one room overpriced hotel room? We stay in a large condo, staying on Disney property is for people that don't know better. Even if we did buy 7 day tickets, yes we would still spend far less than a cruise costs.

We are booked in an interior stateroom on the Oasis, there is nothing grand but the bill. Ironically it looks like we got a deal too, I checked and to book our cruise now would be about a thousand more than when I booked it.

I really don't care how anyone spends their money, I just get annoyed when people toss around what a great bargain cruises are and that it is such a cheap way to vacation.

I voted. Don't see the big deal when there's no identifying markers as to who voted in what bucket.

People thinking cruising is a bargain always baffle me. I think cruising is a pretty expensive vacation. Dollar for dollar my wife and I have done some pretty nice vacations for the all-in price of our August FOS cruise.

$2,750 for a balcony (two people)

$750 flights

$125 for the hotel the night pre-cruise

$575 for drink packages

$1,000 for planned excursions, shopping, tips, taxi, or misc. costs

That's $5.2k for a relatively conservative all-in cost for two people. I am not surprised at the fact that the majority of people cruising are a little more than double the average household income in the US.

Here is what AMEX says about the typical summer vacation for Americans.

According to American Express' 2013 survey on summer vacation travel, the average expense per person in the United States is $1,145, or $4,580 for a family of four.

I keep hearing that the middle class is no more! Perhaps they just went on Royal for a vacation and will get back in touch when they have Wi-Fi again :rolleyes: Meanwhile I think crew and those who live in other countries that we visit by cruise ship probably do think we are all super rich and there is probably truth to that from their point of reference. Sitting on a large tour bus looking out at the "quaint" villages and "cute little barefoot" children, I do think of the difference between me and them and say a prayer of gratitude. My not cruising would not help the balance and this is how I do choose to use my money that does not have to go to "necessities". I am very fortunate to be able to cruise and my life has been so much richer for the travels that I have been able to take.

A Disney vacation doesn't mean 7 days in a park or staying on a Disney property, why would you do that? Stay in a one room overpriced hotel room? We stay in a large condo, staying on Disney property is for people that don't know better. Even if we did buy 7 day tickets, yes we would still spend far less than a cruise costs.

We are booked in an interior stateroom on the Oasis, there is nothing grand but the bill. Ironically it looks like we got a deal too, I checked and to book our cruise now would be about a thousand more than when I booked it.

I really don't care how anyone spends their money, I just get annoyed when people toss around what a great bargain cruises are and that it is such a cheap way to vacation.

As I stated you have to make an apples to apples comparison.

You're specifically comparing this to the Oasis, which is a 7 day cruise.

Comparing the cost of a 7 day cruise vs. fewer days at disney is simply ridiculous. Of course it looks cheaper because you're not making an equal comparison. An equal comparison here would be a 7 day Oasis cruise and a 7 day Disney vacation (that includes staying on Disney property and including a Disney dining plan.)

Since you wouldn't stay at disney for a week, try comparing a 3 day Majesty cruise (~$260 + tax & gratuity) to a 3 day Disney ticket $275 (no park hopper.) The math just does not work out. You're still spending more on the disney park tickets than you'd spend for the entire cruise and you still have not included this supposed cheap condo. Even if you eat ramen noodles for 3 days, you cannot go to disney twice for the cost of a comparable cruise.

Edited by ewenix

I'm from the UK and if I want a sunny holiday it's going to involve flights! We find we spend a lot less when we cruise... And have a much better time... £for£ I know what I feel offers the best value for money! 🚢

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

As I stated you have to make an apples to apples comparison.

You're specifically comparing this to the Oasis, which is a 7 day cruise.

Comparing the cost of a 7 day cruise vs. fewer days at disney is simply ridiculous. Of course it looks cheaper because you're not making an equal comparison. An equal comparison here would be a 7 day Oasis cruise and a 7 day Disney vacation (that includes staying on Disney property and including a Disney dining plan.)

Since you wouldn't stay at disney for a week, try comparing a 3 day Majesty cruise (~$260 + tax & gratuity) to a 3 day Disney ticket $275 (no park hopper.) The math just does not work out. You're still spending more on the disney park tickets than you'd spend for the entire cruise and you still have not included this supposed cheap condo. Even if you eat ramen noodles for 3 days, you cannot go to disney twice for the cost of a comparable cruise.

Nonsense, I never said we stayed in a Disney park for seven days, we were in the area for seven days and I was quite clear about what we did. We did Disney, Cocoa Beach, The space center, we had a pool resort day. Even if according to your demand I spent seven days in a Disney park ( far long after I'd run out of things to do) I'd have to spend $1070.34 on tickets after tax. We are booked at $3200 for Oasis and our "supposed" condo cost about $780 after tax.

Why would I spend more to stay in inferior accommodations by using a Disney hotel? Why must I limit myself to the overpriced dining plan when so many other options exist? Is that how you comparison shop? Decide what is best then manipulate all other options to get the result you desire? Perhaps you have a preconceived notion of what it means to go on a Disney vacation. I do not happen to desire 100% immersion even if you think that's what it means.

Even if cost were no factor at all I still would not stay in a Disney hotel when larger more convenient options exist, I would not choose their dining plans of endless counter service when I can have anything I want to eat at countless restaurants or in my own fully equipped kitchen.

Since you wouldn't stay at disney for a week, try comparing a 3 day Majesty.

I'd sooner sit at home and watch the grass grow then get on this barge. looked at this thing and it doesn't look like there would be anything to do once you got onboard but wait for them to let you off at the end.

Nonsense, I never said we stayed in a Disney park for seven days, we were in the area for seven days and I was quite clear about what we did. We did Disney, Cocoa Beach, The space center, we had a pool resort day. Even if according to your demand I spent seven days in a Disney park ( far long after I'd run out of things to do) I'd have to spend $1070.34 on tickets after tax. We are booked at $3200 for Oasis and our "supposed" condo cost about $780 after tax.

Why would I spend more to stay in inferior accommodations by using a Disney hotel? Why must I limit myself to the overpriced dining plan when so many other options exist? Is that how you comparison shop? Decide what is best then manipulate all other options to get the result you desire? Perhaps you have a preconceived notion of what it means to go on a Disney vacation. I do not happen to desire 100% immersion even if you think that's what it means.

Even if cost were no factor at all I still would not stay in a Disney hotel when larger more convenient options exist, I would not choose their dining plans of endless counter service when I can have anything I want to eat at countless restaurants or in my own fully equipped kitchen.

You continue to miss the point, possibly intentionally that paying for tickets to get into a disney park (regardless of the number of days) is not comparable to purchasing a cruise which includes food, entertainment and lodging.

At the prices you stated $3200 - 1070 - 780 = $1350. Now subtract the cost of your food for the week and please show how you still have enough left to cover the cost of another trip to disney, food, and lodging.

As I stated above the only way your '2 to 3 times' works out is if you fail to compare the cost of one complete trip to another complete trip.

You continue to miss the point, possibly intentionally that paying for tickets to get into a disney park (regardless of the number of days) is not comparable to purchasing a cruise which includes food, entertainment and lodging.

At the prices you stated $3200 - 1070 - 780 = $1350. Now subtract the cost of your food for the week and please show how you still have enough left to cover the cost of another trip to disney, food, and lodging.

As I stated above the only way your '2 to 3 times' works out is if you fail to compare the cost of one complete trip to another complete trip.

I spent about $1500 dollars, yes that included the food, yes it was a week long, got the cc bill to prove it, no I'm not scanning it and posting it for your satisfaction. I'm booked for an Oasis cruise for $3200 dollars. That is where I came up with I can go on two Disney vacations for the price of one cruise. So sorry if I didn't discuss your notions of what constitutes a "Disney Vacation" before I posted it, I didn't know you were the expert on all rules regarding comparisons of "MY" vacations.

Now if you don't think you can get a better vacation for your money then you can get on that boat and flush your cash straight into their unreliable sewage system for all I care, but you can quit griping at me and trying to tell me what I did or did not do or what deal I can or cannot get.

I spent about $1500 dollars, yes that included the food, yes it was a week long, got the cc bill to prove it, no I'm not scanning it and posting it for your satisfaction. I'm booked for an Oasis cruise for $3200 dollars. That is where I came up with I can go on two Disney vacations for the price of one cruise. So sorry if I didn't discuss your notions of what constitutes a "Disney Vacation" before I posted it, I didn't know you were the expert on all rules regarding comparisons of "MY" vacations.

I hear this over and over and it is so untrue. I have taken the family to Disney at least 8 times in the last decade and I can go there two or three times for the price of a cruise. Cruising is an expensive vacation.

I wasn't doubting what you spent. You made a statement which was easily refuted by myself and several others based on disney ticket cost. I tried to explain it to you. You are comparing a week vacation in florida in a rented condo, and a few days at disney versus a week long cruise on the Oasis. I am now sure that anyone reading your posts will understand why you think a 'disney vacation' is cheaper than cruising.

Edited by ewenix

I wasn't doubting what you spent. You made a statement which was easily refuted by myself and several others based on disney ticket cost. I tried to explain it to you. I now sure that anyone reading your posts will understand why you think a 'disney vacation' is cheaper than cruising.

They are fairly comparable. The cost for three us in the summer on a Oasis class ship in a balcony room is just a few hundred dollars different than a week at Disney in a moderate resort with their dining plan. Now take into account this would be our first cruise with RCCL and no discounts given.

I wasn't doubting what you spent. You made a statement which was easily refuted by myself and several others based on disney ticket cost. I tried to explain it to you. You are comparing a week vacation in florida in a rented condo, and a few days at disney versus a week long cruise on the Oasis. I am now sure that anyone reading your posts will understand why you think a 'disney vacation' is cheaper than cruising.

I never made any secret of what I think a Disney vacation is, quite the opposite. If you'd read my posts this isn't the first time I detailed our travels, I even broke my own rule for you and rehashed it out since you couldn't be bothered to read it. I do however think that anyone that thinks that spending 7 days in a Disney park is a good vacation is as dumb or dumber than someone who thinks going on a Cruise is a cheap vacation.

They are fairly comparable. The cost for three us in the summer on a Oasis class ship in a balcony room is just a few hundred dollars different than a week at Disney in a moderate resort with their dining plan. Now take into account this would be our first cruise with RCCL and no discounts given.

I understand they are comparable. Sitzmark made the statement that one could take 2 or 3 disney vacations for the price of a cruise.

I just want to live on a cruise ship! Someone to make my bed, clean my bathroom, be nice no matter what, serve me meals especially dinner where I don't have to cook or clean up, bring me more to eat than I possibly can, linen tablecloths, coffee on a balcony looking at the ocean, entertainment nightly, different views daily, ahhhhhh!

Never stay on the resort, two many condos just off property cost a fraction of the Disney price and offer so much more. We stay in a 2 bedroom condo with screened in balcony, pool complex, beach grill, hot tubs etc. I'm not sure Disney has anything like it at any price, let alone their budget prices that are still outrageous. We also do not qualify for any RCI discount, and likely never will. we are getting 200 dollars OBC from the TA though.

While we are hashing out another argument on a totally derailed thread, I will say that for me, its not the cost of the cruise itself. Its all the "extras" that add up that make cruising expensive. And the thing is, I dont even fly to catch my cruises.

My last cruise was around 1300.00 for two in a Promenade cabin on Freedom for 7 nights. Thats a great deal IMO. Add to that the gas down to PC and back, two nights pre cruise hotel stay, meals before boarding the ship, gratuities on the ship, +/- 500 onboard spending, meals on the way back home and it quickly starts adding up.

That 1300.00 cruise can turn into 3 grand pretty quick so I DO see Sitzmarks point. Im pretty sure I can vacation in FL for a week for 3 grand and have my meals included. As far as Disney goes, I have about as much interest in going to that hell hole as Sitzmark has in getting on his next cruise. :cool:

I guess the point Im trying to make is, yes, if you shop around, the cruise itself can be "cheap". All the add ons doesnt make it so cheap anymore though. Cruising is only "cheap" for those that live close to the ports, can cruise last minute and dont spend much on board.

JMO

Edited by ryano

I understand they are comparable. Sitzmark made the statement that one could take 2 or 3 disney vacations for the price of a cruise.

And went on to explain how, I cannot help that it does not fit your narrow definition of how to visit Disney World.

I dont even fly to catch my cruises.

JMO

Yeah, we drive most everywhere, I don't mind the drive and it has the advantages of no luggage limits and I don't have to screw around with a rental once we get there. Gotta get there for either vacation so that's pretty much a wash, gonna be a few tanks of gas either way.

You probably could if you book a higher room for the cruise, a lower resort or off resort at Disney and eat cheap. I know I spend at least $5,000.00 to $6,000 every cruise. Throw in a back to back which we prefer to do and boom 10 to 12 grand gone.

I just want to live on a cruise ship! Someone to make my bed, clean my bathroom, be nice no matter what, serve me meals especially dinner where I don't have to cook or clean up, bring me more to eat than I possibly can, linen tablecloths, coffee on a balcony looking at the ocean, entertainment nightly, different views daily, ahhhhhh!

Almost the same as a nursing home, minus the different views;):p

Edited by mediccruzin

As far as Disney goes, I have about much interest in going to that hell hole as Sitzmark has in getting on his next cruise.

JMO

Bet you'd enjoy it more.

but that is a sentiment shared by a lot of people, we probably won't be going back there for a while because we've done everything there that there is to do. Not sure where our next vacation is going to be...

Never stay on the resort, two many condos just off property cost a fraction of the Disney price and offer so much more. We stay in a 2 bedroom condo with screened in balcony, pool complex, beach grill, hot tubs etc. I'm not sure Disney has anything like it at any price, let alone their budget prices that are still outrageous. We also do not qualify for any RCI discount, and likely never will. we are getting 200 dollars OBC from the TA though.

We stayed there mostly for our daughter who was six at the time for all the bells and whistles. We are probably going to do a week at Disney before our next cruise next summer. We just haven't decided on which line yet. Toss up between the Carnivals Magic, NCL's Escape and RCI Allure or Oasis.

You probably could if you book a higher room for the cruise, a lower resort or off resort at Disney and eat cheap. I know I spend at least $5,000.00 to $6,000 every cruise. Throw in a back to back which we prefer to do and boom 10 to 12 grand gone.

We always stay off the resort, not so much for the price as it is for the facilities and the space. It just can't be had on property, the price is the bonus. We don't eat cheap, we eat quite well while we are there, but we get to choose from a much wider array of options. No worries about drink packages or crazy pirate bar prices.

Bet you'd enjoy it more.

Its been 30 years :eek: Im sure I would enjoy it ok during off peak times. Im just not good in heat and big crowds though.

Im also sure that my jaw would drop at all the changes in the last 30 years. LOL. Epcot hadnt been opened all that long the last time i was there :o I use to live about 25 minutes from the main gate west on I4 back towards Tampa. We also had our senior prom at the Contemporary in 1988.

Edited by ryano

Bet you'd enjoy it more.

but that is a sentiment shared by a lot of people, we probably won't be going back there for a while because we've done everything there that there is to do. Not sure where our next vacation is going to be...

I don't know, I'm with him, we spent a couple days pre-cruise at Disney last year and it was not fun. Long waits everywhere, overpriced everything, crowds, crowds, and more crowds. A few of the attractions were cool, but factoring in the waits, it felt like a waste of money and time. We wished we had just parked ourselves on the beach for a couple of days.