Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS:confused:

Except if you do answer the poll, NO ONE WILL KNOW WHAT YOU SAID.

It cracks me up that some are so offended and won't answer the poll when no one can see how you answer.:rolleyes::cool:

It's just too funny. Um, can you say, OVERREACT?

The same goes for those that think people are being untruthful. What would be the point? Again, NO ONE can see how you respond.

Edited by BND

Except if you do answer the poll, NO ONE WILL KNOW WHAT YOU SAID.

It cracks me up that some are so offended and won't answer the poll when no one can see how you answer.:rolleyes::cool:

It's just too funny. Um, can you say, OVERREACT?

The same goes for those that think people are being untruthful. What would be the point? Again, NO ONE can see how you respond.

Well please explain how it is anyone's business what I earn.

It will also depend on how many in the household.

Mine has four income earners if we weren't above the $180,000 it'd be a worry.

So now you have told us what your household earns,:eek: hope you ticked the right box. or are not worried.:p

Edited by MicCanberra

LOL. You need a cruise.:D

One month till payment due [that's what I'm worrying about]

Four months till we sail

Five months till it's over [Now that I am really worried about]

Seven months till SHE goes back to work [well I hope she does].

Shortest time we've ever had between cruises [about ten months].

One month till payment due [that's what I'm worrying about]

Four months till we sail

Five months till it's over [Now that I am really worried about]

Seven months till SHE goes back to work [well I hope she does].

Shortest time we've ever had between cruises [about ten months].

Well you may be worried but you still get to cruise.:D

151 people responded making $80,00 or less household income. 390 make $80,001 or more.

Average US household income is around $52,000.

I think this is very telling even without having concrete data points. Cruising tends to be a vacation style of the more well off, however that may be defined. My inference is because it really is more expensive of a vacation that other options chosen "in general."

I just don't see how people can make a case that a typical cruise is equivalent in price to the normal US vacation stats. My $5-6k cruise this August would afford my wife and I a really solid land-based vacation, whether in Vegas, NYC, FL, or even places within the Caribbean, with money to spare. Ancillary add-ons to cruises really jump the overall cost.

Edited by phade

I just don't see how people can make a case that a typical cruise is equivalent in price to the normal US vacation stats. My $5-6k cruise this August would afford my wife and I a really solid land-based vacation, whether in Vegas, NYC, FL, or even places within the Caribbean, with money to spare. Ancillary add-ons to cruises really jump the overall cost.

I think most folks try to make an apples-apples comparison (cost to fly to all the ports, hotels+meals at those ports) not to some "normal" US vacation. Most folks don't spend $5-6K on a cruise - the typical Carribean 7 day sailing is about 1/2 that.

But you are right about one thing - at the avg household income of $52,000, taking even a $3K cruise is probably using up a lot of discretionary income.

We really cut back on our cruising once we discovered a couple of great condos in Hawaii. We were able to fly and have one week in a Condo for under $2,000 for two people. One benefit of being on the westcoast is I can usually fly to Hawaii cheaper than Ft. Lauderdale

. My $5-6k cruise this August would afford my wife and I a really solid land-based vacation, whether in Vegas, NYC, FL, or even places within the Caribbean, with money to spare. Ancillary add-ons to cruises really jump the overall cost.

Ive never been on a 5-6k dollar cruise. I have been on a couple where a +/- 1500.00 cruise turned into 3 grand or so. You are exactly right about the add ons. I know for a fact I can go about anywhere within reason for a week for 3 grand and have my lodging and meals included. Especially if said place is within driving distance as the cruises I have been on have been. Cruising is NOT as inexpensive as some make it out to be when comparing to other vacations.

Ive never been on a 5-6k dollar cruise. I have been on a couple where a +/- 1500.00 cruise turned into 3 grand or so. You are exactly right about the add ons. I know for a fact I can go about anywhere within reason for a week for 3 grand and have my lodging and meals included. Especially if said place is within driving distance as the cruises I have been on have been. Cruising is NOT as inexpensive as some make it out to be when comparing to other vacations.

On 7 or 8 night cruises we always stay in a balcony cabin....and we have never spent 5-6K on a cruise even with all the excursions added in.

If you start out in a suite, then are a heavy drinker (adding either a drink package or per drink), they add on specialty dinners each night and go on the most expensive excursion possible it would be easy to add up quickly.

Even when we paid $2300 (including the cost of insurance) for our Indy 8 night cruise in a wonderful balcony our total for the cruise after tips added and excursions (which we did through private company -- because we liked them better than what Royal offered) - wasn't much over 3K and definitely not close to $4K.

A 3k cruise is a 5-6k cruise for two people.

I posted my metrics for the cruise on page 6 or so, and I came up with a very conservative budget of $5.2k. $2.7k for the balcony (two people total). That left $2,500 amongst the hotel, flight, hotel night pre-cruise, drinks, excursions and other misc. costs including minor shopping, tips, etc. It added up real fast.

On 7 or 8 night cruises we always stay in a balcony cabin....and we have never spent 5-6K on a cruise even with all the excursions added in.

If you start out in a suite, then are a heavy drinker (adding either a drink package or per drink), they add on specialty dinners each night and go on the most expensive excursion possible it would be easy to add up quickly.

Even when we paid $2300 (including the cost of insurance) for our Indy 8 night cruise in a wonderful balcony our total for the cruise after tips added and excursions (which we did through private company -- because we liked them better than what Royal offered) - wasn't much over 3K and definitely not close to $4K.

Pricing out a oceanview balcony for my upcoming Allure cruise is just shy of 2500.00 including taxes, fees etc. We have a nice OBC to cover tips and leave a little left. I dont do excursions or spend much money onboard but I have contemplated on getting the drink package so lets call it 2900.00. Add in gas, two pre cruise hotel stays, food before and after the cruise and that puts it around 3500.00.

I would LOVE to get a oceanview balcony as Ive never stayed in a balcony cabin but its about 600.00 more and I just cant justify it. I will just keep the CP balcony and be happy I think.

Edited by ryano