Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

That's included in the 180K+ last choice - those much hated 1% ers.

:rolleyes:

LOL, you mean the "horrible" 1%. Those that pay a lot more in taxes than most people make in a year....

There is a whole group between about 180 -250K that aren't truly the top 1%, so not multi millionaires. 300K in our area does buy you a nice lifestyle, but it's hardly "wealthy" to the point of not even thinking about what you spend. I just don't get those that are so bothered by a simple poll.

Edited by BND

As the economy continues to grow and unemployment further declines, income levels will rise. Per capita disposable income is forecast to increase at an annualized 2.5% to $43,312 over the five years to 2020. As a result, more people will be able to spend money on discretionary activities, including cruise travel. In addition, the aging US population will further contribute to demand for cruises because the target market of cruise lines are individuals over 25 years of age with an annual income of at least $40,000. Moreover, the Cruise Lines International Association estimates that 20.0% of the cruise market consists of retired individuals. As a result of the aging population and rising incomes, demand for cruises will increase substantially in the coming years.

Personally, I think some bashing it have either a hard time believing that households have incomes at the top of this poll or they're envious that they do. Sorry, but as has been established, there are areas that cost a whole lot more to live in than others and some of us are older than others and are at the peak of our earning years. For those who think it's not anonymous, show us what each person who voted makes please.

I also agree there should be another tier above 180K because I personally know multiple two income families that make close to 300K per year. Two GS-15 federal gov employees easily make 250-300K per year. Where I work and live are a lot of engineers which is a fairly high income career.

I cannot confirm if that is the case in the USA but it certainly can be here in Australia. We have high wages but we also have a high cost of living and high house prices so it is all relative.

Perhaps a better pole would be - How much do you spend on cruising (and the associated costs of cruising) per year?

Edited by MicCanberra

The more you make, the more you spend. I make a ton of money and end up just as broke as everyone else. Retirement, cruises, other luxuries, etc. It's all relative. I like seeing the feedback, and find it informative.

I just don't get the haters on this poll. If you don't like it, keep scrolling!

The more you make, the more you spend. I make a ton of money and end up just as broke as everyone else. Retirement, cruises, other luxuries, etc. It's all relative. I like seeing the feedback, and find it informative.

Exactly. I think they are curious but don't want to admit it.:D

I have voted. The "family" seem to make a lot of money but there are an awful lot of big chicks in the nest that can't afford to fledge who cruise on big birds salary.:confused:

Time to downsize and get a nest that cannot accommodate those big chicks. the added bonus is more money for cruising.:D

It is true that the more you make, the more you spend....but you don't have to be 'as broke as' anyone....We surely don't make as much as the top tier in the poll, but do fine and in the end we are not broke.

It is all about choices, but that is everything in life.

I am sure I cruise with plenty of people that don't have two nickels extra to rub together side by side with those who I would love to discuss the success they have had growing their wealth....since I can't tell the difference between the two fellow cruisers, we are all just cruisers on the same ship enjoying many of the same things at no extra expense to anyone.

I hear this over and over and it is so untrue. I have taken the family to Disney at least 8 times in the last decade and I can go there two or three times for the price of a cruise. Cruising is an expensive vacation.
Can you do Disney cheaper than 349.99 per person for each week of a B2B my father took out of N.O. in march this year. I think not!.....:rolleyes:

A Disney vacation doesn't mean 7 days in a park or staying on a Disney property, why would you do that? Stay in a one room overpriced hotel room? We stay in a large condo, staying on Disney property is for people that don't know better. Even if we did buy 7 day tickets, yes we would still spend far less than a cruise costs.

We are booked in an interior stateroom on the Oasis, there is nothing grand but the bill. Ironically it looks like we got a deal too, I checked and to book our cruise now would be about a thousand more than when I booked it.

I really don't care how anyone spends their money, I just get annoyed when people toss around what a great bargain cruises are and that it is such a cheap way to vacation.

Your numbers just don't "add" up.....:rolleyes:

Nonsense, I never said we stayed in a Disney park for seven days, we were in the area for seven days and I was quite clear about what we did. We did Disney, Cocoa Beach, The space center, we had a pool resort day. Even if according to your demand I spent seven days in a Disney park ( far long after I'd run out of things to do) I'd have to spend $1070.34 on tickets after tax. We are booked at $3200 for Oasis and our "supposed" condo cost about $780 after tax.

Why would I spend more to stay in inferior accommodations by using a Disney hotel? Why must I limit myself to the overpriced dining plan when so many other options exist? Is that how you comparison shop? Decide what is best then manipulate all other options to get the result you desire? Perhaps you have a preconceived notion of what it means to go on a Disney vacation. I do not happen to desire 100% immersion even if you think that's what it means.

Even if cost were no factor at all I still would not stay in a Disney hotel when larger more convenient options exist, I would not choose their dining plans of endless counter service when I can have anything I want to eat at countless restaurants or in my own fully equipped kitchen.

"Inferior" accommodations??? Love staying "IN DISNEY, IN A DISNEY HOTEL". Have always found the meals to be good to outstanding and why would I want to travel back and forth from a condo and COOk my own meals on vacation?......Lets see I'll buy my own food and cook, etc. etc....please ....:eek::D

There really aren't. However, you do have access to Concierge and you can beg. ;). I contacted Raul early and asked to be put on waiting list
D+ means zero for a cabana, anyone can reserve and pay for one. If they are sold out they are sold out, beg all you like.

We do okay, but I don't have money to cruise any time soon. I have to put money away for our taxes. But there will always be enough people with in disposable income to cruise. At least I have Trip reports with pictures to look at and enjoy.

It is true that the more you make, the more you spend....but you don't have to be 'as broke as' anyone....We surely don't make as much as the top tier in the poll, but do fine and in the end we are not broke.

It is all about choices, but that is everything in life.

I am sure I cruise with plenty of people that don't have two nickels extra to rub together side by side with those who I would love to discuss the success they have had growing their wealth....since I can't tell the difference between the two fellow cruisers, we are all just cruisers on the same ship enjoying many of the same things at no extra expense to anyone.

Hi! I don't really mean I have zero dollars haha. But, for example, I used to put almost $7k in retirement per month. I had to back that down a bit because I was really pushing it. Plus two kids in private school, expensive office in a nice location, etc. etc. etc. ITA that when on the cruise, no one would ever know how much money we make.

I just am happy and grateful to have a great job that I love, which also pays well and affords me the opportunity to go on amazing vacations!

I was unaware there were any cabana benefits due to being D+. What did I miss?

Just being able to get on the wait list with the Concierge. If there are any cabanas left the day before going to Labadee; and, no Suite guests have open requests the Concierge will use the list to offer cabanas starting with listed Pinnacle and D+. I have done this several times and have always been successful :) The going rate remains the same ;)

D+ means zero for a cabana, anyone can reserve and pay for one. If they are sold out they are sold out, beg all you like.

Why all the hate :what:

Let me try and explain.

Barefoot Beach cabanas are controlled by the suite concierge. D+ folks have access to suite concierge. You can contact suite concierge and ask to be put on a waiting list. That access is worth slightly more than zero.

We have been able to secure one coco Cay and two barefoot beach cabanas in the last couple of years.

3 for 3 is a pretty good success rate

Safe travels

Why all the hate :what:

Let me try and explain.

Barefoot Beach cabanas are controlled by the suite concierge. D+ folks have access to suite concierge. You can contact suite concierge and ask to be put on a waiting list. That access is worth slightly more than zero.

We have been able to secure one coco Cay and two barefoot beach cabanas in the last couple of years.

3 for 3 is a pretty good success rate

Safe travels

I just wanted to jump in as the person who asked you the question, and say that I totally got what you were saying. I hadn't thought of contacting the concierge in advance, and if I need to do so in the future, hopefully I'll remember. Thanks.

There was no need for the Mr. Grinch to respond. I guess a hater's got to hate.

The difference in results may also correlate to the difference between Crystal and RCI.

For Carnival, I think you'll get the same distribution. Maybe skewed a little lower, but not much.

Edited by marci22

A Disney vacation doesn't mean 7 days in a park or staying on a Disney property, why would you do that? Stay in a one room overpriced hotel room?

I do not happen to desire 100% immersion even if you think that's what it means.

That's kinda what people think, though. At least I do. *shrug* A Disney vacation is a Disney vacation. What you're describing is a FLORIDA vacation where you happen to go to Disney for a day or 2.

And, cruising is 100% immersion. You don't say, oh I'll stay at a cheap motel and just meet up with the ship and use it's amenities during the day. So your cheaper Disney/Florida vacation isn't the same as a cruise.

And it should be cheaper if you're buying your own food and making your own meals! Do you guys also clean the condo daily or is there a cleaning service that comes in? All of this is stuff that's taken care of on a cruise.

That's kinda what people think, though. At least I do. *shrug* A Disney vacation is a Disney vacation. What you're describing is a FLORIDA vacation where you happen to go to Disney for a day or 2.

And, cruising is 100% immersion. You don't say, oh I'll stay at a cheap motel and just meet up with the ship and use it's amenities during the day. So your cheaper Disney/Florida vacation isn't the same as a cruise.

And it should be cheaper if you're buying your own food and making your own meals! Do you guys also clean the condo daily or is there a cleaning service that comes in? All of this is stuff that's taken care of on a cruise.

I don't stay in a "cheap motel" that is your interpretation of a Florida vacation. I stay in a two bedroom two bath condo that is far superior to the Disney properties to say nothing of the rooms on cruise ships.

I am not so filthy as to require daily housekeeping and if the room attendant would stay away for the week that would be my preference on a cruise ship also.

I also enjoy cooking but we often eat out while on vacation although I typically enjoy my own cooking over most restaurants.

I don't think that what you describe as "what people think" is necessarily universal, it certainly isn't what anyone I know thinks. Everyone I know thinks only a fool would stay in a Disney motel.

This is a fascinating thread. At least 70% of you make way more money than me.

No wonder you all are so open to getting a balcony. You are spending less as a percent of your income on a balcony than I am on my inside.

No wonder so many of you are ok with sky high drink prices. You can afford them.

I just hope this inspires some empathy. Some of us have stricter budgets than you do.