Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

I think most folks try to make an apples-apples comparison (cost to fly to all the ports, hotels+meals at those ports) not to some "normal" US vacation. Most folks don't spend $5-6K on a cruise - the typical Carribean 7 day sailing is about 1/2 that.

But you are right about one thing - at the avg household income of $52,000, taking even a $3K cruise is probably using up a lot of discretionary income.

I see that as apples to oranges. Like most things related to work or play, engagement is the common measurement. I agree one can't reasonably compare a cruise to a Vegas trip, but the commonality is engagement - meaning how much did you enjoy/participate in that trip. If you "value" the trip equally, that's where the apple-to-apple comes into play. I equally enjoy going to Vegas as I do a cruise or a nice sandy beach on an island. I can spend $x amount on Vegas/NYC/land-based vacay or $x amount on a cruise and come home equally satisfied. Some people might not be, and that means you really can't make any comparison.

A 3k cruise is a 5-6k cruise for two people.

No its not. :) That 3 grand was for two people and thats total for ALL expenses :) We stay in inside or Promenade mostly though and on Freedom class or older ships. We dont do excursions or spend a lot of money on board or in ports though. We also drive so that keeps the cost down as well. Especially when gas was only 2.15 a gallon this past April.

This upcoming Allure cruise is also going to be around 3 grand total, for everything. maybe just a bit more if i do decide on a drink package. But only because I was able to find an incredible deal through a TA for group price booking in a Central Park balcony and it came with 225.00 OBC.

Edited by ryano

On 7 or 8 night cruises we always stay in a balcony cabin....and we have never spent 5-6K on a cruise even with all the excursions added in.

If you start out in a suite, then are a heavy drinker (adding either a drink package or per drink), they add on specialty dinners each night and go on the most expensive excursion possible it would be easy to add up quickly.

Even when we paid $2300 (including the cost of insurance) for our Indy 8 night cruise in a wonderful balcony our total for the cruise after tips added and excursions (which we did through private company -- because we liked them better than what Royal offered) - wasn't much over 3K and definitely not close to $4K.

Our balcony is $2.7k for FOS for the Aug 16 sailing...airfare is $750. That's $3,450 right off the bat, not spending a single Washington to tip the luggage porter. That leaves me with $1,750 for everything else...drinks, hotel night, tips, excursions, any shopping, taxis, parking fees, and so on and so forth.

Blue Hole is $65 pp plus tip, horseback riding in GC around $100 pp plus tip, Mr. Sanchos around $55 pp plus tip...that's around $650 including tips. Leaves me and the wife with $1,100. Subtract $125 for the hotel. $975 left....subtract two select drink packages, that's $580, with about $400 or so left for shopping, taxis, or misc costs.

Other than the actual balcony I don't see much that's above the norm (say as compared to an OV or interior room), nor areas that are extremely frivolous on our excursion choices.

I'll end up between $5 and 6k for this two person vacation pretty easily.

I just don't see how people can make a case that a typical cruise is equivalent in price to the normal US vacation stats. My $5-6k cruise this August would afford my wife and I a really solid land-based vacation, whether in Vegas, NYC, FL, or even places within the Caribbean, with money to spare. Ancillary add-ons to cruises really jump the overall cost.

22 cruises, Total avg. price $1734.93 for both of us combined.

Total = Fares, Transfers, Gratuities, Taxes & Port Charges

On board account has never exceeded $200.

When we fly, flights avg <$300 round trip for two utilizing cc points.

Last land based trip in 2012 was $2200, 6N Cape Cod, MA. After that we decided cruising was much more bang for buck.

FWIW, I'm in the < $80k

I would LOVE to get a oceanview balcony as Ive never stayed in a balcony cabin but its about 600.00 more and I just cant justify it. I will just keep the CP balcony and be happy I think.

ryano, it sounds to me as though you're a wise steward of your finances. Can't fault you for that. ;)

"Rich" is a comparative term. I think most people on cruises are wealthy compared to the service employees on a cruise ship.

Exactly. Anyone who can take a cruise, even if they have to save up for it, is very rich compared to most of the world's people.

FWIW, we have to fly, and airfare costs have really gone up in the last few years. This adds a pretty substantial cost to any cruise. I think the 5k number is pretty close for us.

I'm also sure we could do things for less if we chose to. I do tend to splurge a bit on vacations.

ryano, it sounds to me as though you're a wise steward of your finances. Can't fault you for that. ;)

I have to be! :) Some people would not even flinch at paying an extra +/- 600.00 total to go from CP balcony to OV balcony. As for me, I look at that 600.00 as a nice downpayment on another cruise! its hard to justify when I only spend about 5 hours or so a day in my cabin.

I keep hoping for a miracle upgrade one day :D Or one of those deals where Im able to go to OV balcony for little to no more money. That could be a bad thing though as Ive often heard once you go with a oceanview balcony it is almost impossible to downgrade on other cruises :o

For us, cruising simply is a very different kind of vacation - more expensive for sure but very different. On the ship we see some kind of entertainment after dinner almost every day - on land vacations we almost never do anything after dinner - dinner often being something eaten in our room. Breakfast other than onboard is a couple granola bars very often. Cruising is much more expensive than anything else we do - but we love it!

I have to be! :) Some people would not even flinch at paying an extra +/- 600.00 total to go from CP balcony to OV balcony. As for me, I look at that 600.00 as a nice downpayment on another cruise! its hard to justify when I only spend about 5 hours or so a day in my cabin.

I keep hoping for a miracle upgrade one day :D Or one of those deals where Im able to go to OV balcony for little to no more money. That could be a bad thing though as Ive often heard once you go with a oceanview balcony it is almost impossible to downgrade on other cruises :o

I'm with you on that. :)

Me too. And the 5 hrs. that I am in the cabin it is usually dark outside and not too much to see.... and I'm asleep.

151 people responded making $80,00 or less household income. 390 make $80,001 or more.

Average US household income is around $52,000.

I think this is very telling even without having concrete data points. Cruising tends to be a vacation style of the more well off, however that may be defined. My inference is because it really is more expensive of a vacation that other options chosen "in general."

I just don't see how people can make a case that a typical cruise is equivalent in price to the normal US vacation stats. My $5-6k cruise this August would afford my wife and I a really solid land-based vacation, whether in Vegas, NYC, FL, or even places within the Caribbean, with money to spare. Ancillary add-ons to cruises really jump the overall cost.

But that is where the international figures can alter the results.

Ie and Aussie family on Social Security would give $52 a fair shake.

But that is where the international figures can alter the results.

Ie and Aussie family on Social Security would give $52 a fair shake.

The results can also be altered by the fact it's just wrong. For instance it thinks I voted in the poll, yet I did not.

Pricing out a oceanview balcony for my upcoming Allure cruise is just shy of 2500.00 including taxes, fees etc. We have a nice OBC to cover tips and leave a little left. I dont do excursions or spend much money onboard but I have contemplated on getting the drink package so lets call it 2900.00. Add in gas, two pre cruise hotel stays, food before and after the cruise and that puts it around 3500.00.

I would LOVE to get a oceanview balcony as Ive never stayed in a balcony cabin but its about 600.00 more and I just cant justify it. I will just keep the CP balcony and be happy I think.

Sorry the cost of 'a cruise' does not include the cost of what you do pre cruise or after the cruise....that might be what your entire vacation costs....but that isn't part of the cruise itself.

We are fortunate that we live within a short drive to FLL and Port of Miami. When we did a S. Caribbean cruise we had to include airfare to San Juan, but that wasn't the fault of the cruise line even though it was a cost that we had to incur in our overall vacation costs.

Sorry the cost of 'a cruise' does not include the cost of what you do pre cruise or after the cruise....that might be what your entire vacation costs....but that isn't part of the cruise itself.

We are fortunate that we live within a short drive to FLL and Port of Miami. When we did a S. Caribbean cruise we had to include airfare to San Juan, but that wasn't the fault of the cruise line even though it was a cost that we had to incur in our overall vacation costs.

But I have to factor those costs into a cruise so you have to look at the entire picture. It's of course not the cruiseline's fault but it is an expense that forms part of the cruise cost. I'm not just paying for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. I must pay to get there and for a hotel the night before boarding.

But I have to factor those costs into a cruise so you have to look at the entire picture. It's of course not the cruiseline's fault but it is an expense that forms part of the cruise cost. I'm not just paying for a 7 day Caribbean cruise. I must pay to get there and for a hotel the night before boarding.

When we took our cruise from San Juan yes we had to factor in airfare for the overall 'vacation cost' and we chose to fly in that morning. We had thought to fly in the day before and stay overnight in a hotel and realized the added costs would add more to the vacation than we thought was necessary.

Those costs still are not 'cruise costs'.

When we took our cruise from San Juan yes we had to factor in airfare for the overall 'vacation cost' and we chose to fly in that morning. We had thought to fly in the day before and stay overnight in a hotel and realized the added costs would add more to the vacation than we thought was necessary.

Those costs still are not 'cruise costs'.

Why does that matter? People consider that part of the cost of a cruise vacation. That's ok. It's not paid to Royal Caribbean but it is part of the overall cost. Why does it matter?

Why does that matter? People consider that part of the cost of a cruise vacation. That's ok. It's not paid to Royal Caribbean but it is part of the overall cost. Why does it matter?

Because when discussing the cost of a cruise, it should be just that.

Because when discussing the cost of a cruise, it should be just that.

Whatever you say :rolleyes:. It is part of the overall vacation. Don't forget many even book flights and hotels through the cruise line and pay for it all together. I don't think when most people discuss the cost of going on a cruise, or any vacation, they disregard the cost of airfare and hotels.

Exactly, the majority of people do not live right at the port. And therefore have to fly or stay anywhere prior or post cruise.

Whatever you say :rolleyes:. It is part of the overall vacation. Don't forget many even book flights and hotels through the cruise line and pay for it all together. I don't think when most people discuss the cost of going on a cruise, or any vacation, they disregard the cost of airfare and hotels.

I don't consider the cost of getting there too much since we typically vacation in the vicinity so it's pretty much a wash. With that said, if my other options didn't have a transport cost, it would instantly become a factor.

I do consider the cost of parking while I'm on a cruise. The extra expense of an overnight hotel the night before (whether everyone does it or not it's a cost). The excursions, possibly with an outside company. The tips to all of the attendants servers and butt wipers. Beverage prices that are out of line with other vacation options. All of these things are part of the cost.

Edited by Sitzmark

I don't consider the cost of getting there too much since we typically vacation in the vicinity so it's pretty much a wash. With that said, if my other options didn't have a transport cost, it would instantly become a factor.

It depends where I'm going. The difference between Hawaii and Ft Lauderdale isn't going to be enough to be a deciding factor but it's a huge factor for Europe, Asia or Australia. In fact it may well be the deciding factor on somewhere like Australia.