Inside Cabins....Am I Going to Regret This Decision???

Where are you cruising?

With us, while we didn't miss the balcony on our second Alaska cruise, we were so much happier to get the balcony on subsequent Alaska cruises. Once I booked my first JS, DH wouldn't let book much else. If you have some scenic cruising, it's really nice to order breakfast and watch from your room.

If you can get a Panoramic Oceanview with those floor to ceiling windows, that may be the best option for you.

Our first cruise was an ordinary inside with two 18 yr old girls in the upper berths, youngest DD and BFF. You couldn't see the floor for the cast off clothes and shoes. Good memories though and I wouldn't trade them for a suite.

We have an inside booked for November on a Carnival cruise. My wife just reminded me today that we haven't had a standard inside catagory since that very first cruise. We've had handicapped insides, porthole on the walkway inside. Prominade insides, an OV or 2 and some balconies, including a wrap-around corner balcony and, once, an Owner's Suite. Hmmmm, now wondering if I made a mistake?

No, I think it'll be OK. Kind of a "back to our roots" cruise. :rolleyes: Just us 2 this time an it's still not too late to upgrade, but I think it'll be fine. All the ports are ho-hum regulars so port days will be sleep in days. Inside = no light = good sleeping.

The foods the same, the drinks are the same, etcetera, etcetera--whether you're in a suite or a deck 1 dungeon. They have curtains on the back wall just like it was a window with the curtains closed. Just pretend and don't open the curtains!

I agree, I won't pay that price for a balcony cabin on Oasis this summer, I guess we are seeing the effect of only having 1 Oasis class ship in the US this summer. RCL can charge an even larger premium for Oasis class ships. I would probably sail another ship before I sailed inside on Oasis. But if the Oasis is a requirement I would stay away from the inside cabins on Deck 3. Every time I've been in that part of the ship it seems very noisy, I could not imagine having a cabin with that noise level. Perhaps prices will come down closer to sailing and you can switch cabins when they drop to a reasonable price.

Good Luck

I agree, I won't pay that price for a balcony cabin on Oasis this summer, I guess we are seeing the effect of only having 1 Oasis class ship in the US this summer. RCL can charge an even larger premium for Oasis class ships. I would probably sail another ship before I sailed inside on Oasis. But if the Oasis is a requirement I would stay away from the inside cabins on Deck 3. Every time I've been in that part of the ship it seems very noisy, I could not imagine having a cabin with that noise level. Perhaps prices will come down closer to sailing and you can switch cabins when they drop to a reasonable price.

Good Luck

Love the name from one Gut to another.

I'm in a similar situation & have decided to go with the OV, even if it's not ideally located. At least we'll be able to have a view outside our window. I gotta have it as soon as I wake up & before I lay down for bed. It puts an amazing smile on my face and I'm not willing to sacrifice that with an inside cabin.

The inside cabins on Oasis feel much more spacious than other classes we have been on... We used to have the "only sail in a balcony" rule, but after being on Liberty by ourselves in an inside stateroom, we didn't think it was bad at all. We certainly wouldn't want to travel with our son in an inside cabin as well, but if that meant going on more cruises, we would sacrifice!

I'm definitely considering an inside cabin for a Hawaii cruise next December. Primarily to save money to put towards shore excursions and that fact I want to do Aulani. I did an inside cabin once and woke up one night in a state of panic because I couldn't figure out where I was. After that we kept the bathroom light on. Other than that, I'm not hesitant at all to stay in one. Besides it's a difference of $468 between an inside and an obstructed view. I'll take the inside and bring a nightlight!

I've cruised in both, 3 inside cabins and the rest balconies. 1 of the insides was a port hole 3 night, it was cool. But I found out the hard way if it's a cruise greater than 3 nights I need a balcony. I was in an inside for 7 nights and I liked to lost my mind. :D I need to see outside. The thing that really got me was between the 4pm-7pm time. I didn't realize I spend a lot of this time on my balcony enjoying the ocean, relaxing and reading after spending all day on deck or at an excursion. It's my wind down time prior to late seating dining.

I'm waiting to go back on the Oasis/Allure also. It's just not price friendly right now. But I miss it and it looks like I might need to bite the bullet. I was in a Boardwalk cabin last time and I loved it.

We’ve Cruised in inside and outside cabins. Like them both. Never an issue with noisy neighbors. Our April 2017 Back to Back Cruise on the Jewel Of The Seas is going to be our first balcony cabin. It’s a D1 category on deck nine. We got a fantastic deal on it.

For my last several cruises I had booked balcony. But decided to try an inside on Brilliance and have to say it was fine. I was surprised about how dark it stays - but guess I should have expected that.

My plan for now on is to get balcony on the cruises where the scenery is great - like my cruise in Norway next fall. But for my caribbean cruises - I will stick to inside room. To me - I would rather take more cruises than a couple with a balcony.

I highly recommend promenade rooms. We loved our on XoS (except for on 70's night.) We're doing an interior on Anthem but they have the "virtual balcony" on the Quantum class ships. I'm not someone who needs a balcony but I don't think I would like a true interior cabin either. That's just my opinion though. I've sailed with friends who always get an interior and are perfectly happy with that.

No one can say whether you will regret your decision. For DH and I, we have never sailed in an inside cabin. I just cannot imagine being in a room without even a window. We have not always sailed in balcony cabins -- our outside cabins with only a window have been on short 3 or 4 day cruises. For us, if it is a 7 day or longer cruise we need a balcony....we simply enjoy it -- we look for the best price for what we want. We just booked a balcony on Harmony for an outrageously wonderful price....so good deals can be found.

On our first cruise we had a balcony. It was a port intensive cruise so it was fun to walk out to the balcony and see a new island each morning. But other than that we didn't spend much time on the balcony.

Our next four cruises were inside cabins and we didn't miss the balcony at all. On our last cruise the cost came down to only $50 more for a balcony. We paid the extra $50. We only went to two islands (skipped Princess Cays) so we used the balcony more.

Our next cruise is on the Oasis September 12. At the time of booking, the cost for the OV cabin was the least expensive so we went with that. I'm told there are so many things to do on the Oasis, you will spend very little time in your cabin.

Edited by Cinerama

On our first cruise we had a balcony. It was a port intensive cruise so it was fun to walk out to the balcony and see a new island each morning. But other than that we didn't spend much time on the balcony.

Our next four cruises were inside cabins and we didn't miss the balcony at all. On our last cruise the cost came down to only $50 more for a balcony. We paid the extra $50. We only went to two islands (skipped Princess Cays) so we used the balcony more.

Our next cruise is on the Oasis September 12. At the time of booking, the cost for the OV cabin was the least expensive so we went with that. I'm told there are so many things to do on the Oasis, you will spend very little time in your room.

No matter the ship we used our balcony sometimes early in the morning to watch the sunrise or look out over a new island location; sometimes late afternoon between shower and dinner to enjoy reading or a little wine before heading to MDR; or late at night before retiring for the evening. Sometimes it was a change of pace from the pool area on a sea day....so using the balcony comes in many ways. For us, it isn't sitting on the balcony for hours at a time.....more like several times a day, for 15 to 30 minutes at a time....but such enjoyment.

For us, it isn't sitting on the balcony for hours at a time.....more like several times a day, for 15 to 30 minutes at a time....but such enjoyment.

This is how I feel as well. I don't sit out there all day, but I come back to it throughout the day. Love balconies!

This is how I feel as well. I don't sit out there all day, but I come back to it throughout the day. Love balconies!

I almost think I stop out on the balcony everytime I am in the cabin, unless it is for a one minute stop to just pick something up and quickly leave again. The balcony just calls to me....and I love it. Whether it is just the movement of the water around the ship or something else to watch, sometimes I sit and enjoy. On Allure we had a balcony overlooking Central Park and there I did some reading when I wanted to be out of the sun, since it was partially in the shade (which was nice, I will admit).

No matter the ship we used our balcony sometimes early in the morning to watch the sunrise or look out over a new island location; sometimes late afternoon between shower and dinner to enjoy reading or a little wine before heading to MDR; or late at night before retiring for the evening. Sometimes it was a change of pace from the pool area on a sea day....so using the balcony comes in many ways. For us, it isn't sitting on the balcony for hours at a time.....more like several times a day, for 15 to 30 minutes at a time....but such enjoyment.

I'd agree with everything you said, especially in the early AM, when I get up before my wife, so I head down to get some coffee and pastries to bring back to our balcony for us to chill out when she gets up.

The option of having a balcony is worth the money to us no matter how much we use it!:)

I need that cup of coffee before I face our fellow cruisers in the buffet for breakfast, I am a 'grizzly' bear before my first coffee!:D

Edited by American Bear

I'd agree with everything you said, especially in the early AM, when I get up before my wife, so I head down to get some coffee and pastries to bring back to our balcony for us to chill out when she gets up.

The option of having a balcony is worth the money to us no matter how much we use it!:)

I need that cup of coffee before I face our fellow cruisers in the buffet for breakfast, I am a 'grizzly' bear before my first coffee!:D

I am usually the one getting up earlier and heading to the gym before DH. But we also order room service for early coffee with some fruit or pastries on some mornings....so we both can sleep in until the phone rings that the room service delivery is on its way.

Either way....a lovely way to start the morning.

Curious to know whether you have made your decision yet :)

If I were in your shoes, depending on the price, I would go for the adjoining oceanview on deck 3. Just two decks up at the back of the jogging track, you can enjoy some "balcony time" in this area, which is often completely empty. Even though we had a Boardwalk balcony, we often spent time out here to be able to hear the ocean. There are several wooden chairs that can recline:

DSCN1191_zpssz3msp4m.jpeg

You can see more cairs in this view - the area is behind the Aqua Theater:

DSCN0669_zpsj1rbhopo.jpeg

Look at that view:

DSCN0776_zpsxb65qxca.jpeg

I understand being cost wise....we had to edit our room selection just so we can cruise on our fave Crystal cruiseline. Balcony would have been nice but because of economics we reserved major obstructed window room. Sad?.......NO.....we are on our fave ship for 2 weeks...what's to regret?! WooHoo!

We did notice deck 8 with has the lifeboat obstructions and this deck is the first to sell out....people of like minds I guess:p

We have always booked two interiors (once had two balconies) and enjoy them. I just booked two more for next year! My favorite part.... Daytime naps are the best, very dark! I was able to get solid nap, that left me refreshed for the evening. ;) And the privacy aspect was nice too! Now could I imagine 4 people sharing one bathroom for a balcony? No way!!! I almost forgot- I left the tv (muted) with the front cam station. I liked using it as a clock, so I could tell what time it was when I woke up in the night/early morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by BLAMBKY

We're going to try inside cabins this year also. I know the kids will be fine because they did it last year and my husband's a cave animal, however, I'm a little apprehensive because I can get claustrophobic. But I figure, hey if I start feeling that way I'll just go sit up on deck! :D

Last year we sailed spring break on the Caribbean Princess with a balcony and our three kids (13-8) in an inside room across the hall. It worked out perfectly. I have to say I was surprised by how much I did enjoy the balcony and it was definitely a nice perk. With that being said, the upgrade only cost us a couple hundred dollars and it was completely worth it.

This year we again can only do Michigan's spring break week which is always the first week of April and don't wish to repeat the Western route. That limits our options. My boys want Navigator for the bells and whistles and my daughter and I want Navigator for the itinerary. This time a balcony upgrade would cost $1200 and I'm just not willing to pay that:(. I'm sure we'll be fine. While a nice balcony room would be great, like I said for us it's the amenities and ports (and date).

Edited by losbun

Having always booked balconies previously last year we had went for an inside due to cost as meant could do 2 cruises rather than 1 that year!! My other half hated it n luckily we asked if any other rooms where available and they upgraded us to a promenade view! I didn't mind the inside and would have managed with it and would book again if meant could do more cruises. Having said that I did miss the balcony and my next 2 cruises I have booked balconies!

It's a personal issue. Some just love insides or hate them. You'll have to determine how you feel personally.

Years ago on another "inside" thread someone kept saying how she would never cruise in an inside and would rather stay home. She went on to call insides "dungeons" and doesn't understand how people can stay locked in them for more than one night. I posted that she's fortunate that she doesn't have to make that choice. I got flamed big time. She raged on that it wasn't luck but hard work that allows her how she lives her life. It made me feel insignificant as if my husband and I don't work hard enough (we do). I guess CC attracts all kinds and we just have to learn to roll with the punches. Glad to see this is a friendlier thread with some great advice. :)

Have a great cruise no matter what type of cabin you choose. Honest, it's all good!

It's a personal issue. Some just love insides or hate them. You'll have to determine how you feel personally.

Years ago on another "inside" thread someone kept saying how she would never cruise in an inside and would rather stay home. She went on to call insides "dungeons" and doesn't understand how people can stay locked in them for more than one night. I posted that she's fortunate that she doesn't have to make that choice. I got flamed big time. She raged on that it wasn't luck but hard work that allows her how she lives her life. It made me feel insignificant as if my husband and I don't work hard enough (we do). I guess CC attracts all kinds and we just have to learn to roll with the punches. Glad to see this is a friendlier thread with some great advice. :)

Have a great cruise no matter what type of cabin you choose. Honest, it's all good!

It is sad when people make others feel bad about their personal choices....that should never be. ANY accommodations on a cruise ship as a cruiser, is better than being back home and at work......afterall -- it is a vacation FROM work. Regardless of whether someone is sailing in an inside cabin, ocean view, balcony, suite......I hope they ALL have a wonderful time....and glad to share it with them.