corkage fee

cruize 15

Btw I have been to many, many formal wine tastings. Since I lived in a condo that leaked I neither had space to collect wine nor money spare to buy a fridge. So in addition to finding these tastings a bit of a snore, I developed a preference for wines you can open in enjoyable company, enjoy over animated chatter and compare over fine yummies. But drink the good ones first. Now that I have both a house and financial peace, I can have a wine room if I want, but I haven't bothered. So Tante Amelie and POA1, what does that say about HAL's wine list now? For me and others who don't want to pucker but prefer to compare fun stories and nail polish rather than "legs"?

Some day you should try to do a real wine tasting in a controlled environment and you'll see what I mean. In the meantime, please enjoy drinking whatever gives you pleasure.

We've been to a fairly large number of wine tastings, both for the industry - where wine merchants present their wares for restaurant clients - and also tastings at wineries. On our last trip to California, we had tastings at Franciscan, Miner, Plumpjack, Shafer, Grgich Hills, Far Niente, Stags Leap, Pahlmeyer, Silver Oak, and Antica (Antinori's Napa property on Atlas Peak.) If you're familiar with these properties, you know that some of them don't have public tastings.

So I hope that establishes our bona fides. We have been to more than our share of wine tastings in controlled environments.

Having said that, we still prefer to enjoy our wine with food & friends. We usually take wines on cruises with us, and pay the corkage. We keep it in our room, and I make sure that it is at proper serving temperature in time for dinner. We carry our two bottles to the dining room each night, except on formal nights, when we throw in a Champagne.

I have nothing against tastings. They have their place. But give me a good meal, good friends, and a couple of bottles of wine any day.

We've been to a fairly large number of wine tastings, both for the industry - where wine merchants present their wares for restaurant clients - and also tastings at wineries. On our last trip to California, we had tastings at Franciscan, Miner, Plumpjack, Shafer, Grgich Hills, Far Niente, Stags Leap, Pahlmeyer, Silver Oak, and Antica (Antinori's Napa property on Atlas Peak.) If you're familiar with these properties, you know that some of them don't have public tastings.

So I hope that establishes our bona fides. We have been to more than our share of wine tastings in controlled environments.

Having said that, we still prefer to enjoy our wine with food & friends. We usually take wines on cruises with us, and pay the corkage. We keep it in our room, and I make sure that it is at proper serving temperature in time for dinner. We carry our two bottles to the dining room each night, except on formal nights, when we throw in a Champagne.

I have nothing against tastings. They have their place. But give me a good meal, good friends, and a couple of bottles of wine any day.

Bolding is mine. Ditto :)

Like. Been there done that also. Nothing like good friends, food, and a glass of wine.

Btw I have been to many, many formal wine tastings. Since I lived in a condo that leaked I neither had space to collect wine nor money spare to buy a fridge. So in addition to finding these tastings a bit of a snore, I developed a preference for wines you can open in enjoyable company, enjoy over animated chatter and compare over fine yummies. But drink the good ones first. Now that I have both a house and financial peace, I can have a wine room if I want, but I haven't bothered. So Tante Amelie and POA1, what does that say about HAL's wine list now? For me and others who don't want to pucker but prefer to compare fun stories and nail polish rather than "legs"?

That sounds about right. :) We're fortunate in that we live close enough to the port that we can usually take most of what we need and pay the corkage. We often run out late in the cruise and supplement from HAL's list. I don't have anything against Holland America's wine list. I just like my own selections better. Even though we get a corkage free bottle each, we typically pay the corkage and take our wine to dinner with us. It's pretty rare that we drink in the room.

Do you pay a corkage fee for wine you buy onboard? Never bought a bottle, usually a glass or two.

Corkage fee only applies to bottles you bring onboard yourself. Bottles you purchase onboard do not charge the fee.

Edited by DaveOKC

Do you pay a corkage fee for wine you buy onboard? Never bought a bottle, usually a glass or two.

No, by definition:

A charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises. (freedictionary.com)

Edited by Boytjie

Corkage does not come into play when you buy a bottle of wine onboard. The price includes the cost of the wine, the mark-up in price and then they add 15% gratuity.

I figured that when you pay $30 for wine that would cost $8 on land, figuring in a corkage fee makes it not seem such a high mark up.

You pay the corkage fee, but it's included in that overpriced bottle of wine. I figure that the cost of a glass of wine in a restaurant is pretty close to the price of a bottle of it in the supermarket. DH says the fee is for the wine steward to open the bottle, pour it and bring it to you.

The big advantage of getting wine at dinner on a cruise ship are no DWI or DUI worries. In Texas a DUI will bring you a high surcharge when renewing the driver's license.

You pay the corkage fee, but it's included in that overpriced bottle of wine. I figure that the cost of a glass of wine in a restaurant is pretty close to the price of a bottle of it in the supermarket. DH says the fee is for the wine steward to open the bottle, pour it and bring it to you.

Did you see the definition of corkage that I posted? :confused:

Some day you should try to do a real wine tasting in a controlled environment and you'll see what I mean. In the meantime, please enjoy drinking whatever gives you pleasure.

Whoa---take it easy on POA1. He's our resident humourist and we think he is great.

You can also put me on your list of wine barbarians who really love to enjoy a glass of wine on a ship's balcony. Heck, for that matter, just give me the wine and I'll drink it anywhere.

Whoa---take it easy on POA1. He's our resident humourist and we think he is great.

You can also put me on your list of wine barbarians who really love to enjoy a glass of wine on a ship's balcony. Heck, for that matter, just give me the wine and I'll drink it anywhere.

Thanks for the assist. As you know, I am a petite and delicate flower. The criticism might cause me to wilt. ;)

I tried to have my wine in a controlled environment on our Sailaway gang cruise in April. We had many sailaway balcony parties with wine and I really tried to control everyone. I tried and tried and tried but--------:D

I tried to have my wine in a controlled environment on our Sailaway gang cruise in April. We had many sailaway balcony parties with wine and I really tried to control everyone. I tried and tried and tried but--------:D

If your wine made it from your glass to your lips, over the teeth, and down the gullet, that's control. Beyond that, it's all "environmental factors."

If your wine made it from your glass to your lips, over the teeth, and down the gullet, that's control. Beyond that, it's all "environmental factors."

Since you know a lot more about wine than this small town girl, I thank you for the reassurance that I am doing it right. :D

You did? I must have missed that day.:D:D

I was not aware of that! More useful information from you! No wonder I never enjoy wine on flights. I do not care for sweeter wines but the selections were always so limited!

It doesn't have to be sweet but all subtlety in the wine is lost at altitude. Big, fruity wines (not necessarily sweet) are better at altitude than a dry wine.

Did you see the definition of corkage that I posted? :confused:

Yes, I was trying to say that paying $30 for a bottle of wine tthat would cost $8 on land is ridiculous. But if you consider the fact that part of what you're paying to open the bottle, pour it for you and store it for the next night. Thus an unwritten corkage fee, it's not as ridiculous as I thought.

Personally, if I brought wine onboard, it would stay in my stateroom. And I'd open it myself. That way, we can make it last longer. In the dining room, they try to pour large glasses, so it will run out faster, and you'll buy another bottle. This was glaringly obvious when we bought two wine by the glass and they brought it in small glasses, almost liquour glasses. But on the next cruise, we bought a bottle and it was gone in two days since they used large glasses. Fortunately, they only used those small glasses the one time. All this was on Royal Caribbean. But after the experience with the tiny glasses, it was several cruises before we'd buy any more wine.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD