hotels in Amsterdam

sharden

We are doing a river cruise on the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam in September. We will be spending two nights in Amsterdam after our cruise and are looking for a nice hotel with a good location to tour the city. We are in our early seventies so no walk-ups.

We appreciate any suggestions.

lots of suggestions on the Europe forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

We have stayed at the Barbizon Palace very good location for the train, trams & walking about the central area

Doubletree is also close by

We stayed at the Movenpick and were quite pleased with the hotel. It's ads said that the trams stopped at their front door. This was a major reason why we chose it. Well, their definition of "at their front door" differs from mine. The tram was close by, but it was a bit of a walk down their street, across a street, and back up the next street to get to the tram stop. But, it was almost directly across from the hotel!

We stayed at the Movenpick and were quite pleased with the hotel. It's ads said that the trams stopped at their front door. This was a major reason why we chose it. Well, their definition of "at their front door" differs from mine. The tram was close by, but it was a bit of a walk down their street, across a street, and back up the next street to get to the tram stop. But, it was almost directly across from the hotel!

Yes we stayed there as well in the past the #25 tram did stop not far from the hotel but that is no longer the case you have to up on the bridge to catch the #26 tram

I did not mention that hotel because it is not really convenient unless you take the tram or walk for about 10-15 min to the central area

We have always stayed at Hotel Okura. Let me explain this is a luxurious hotel and it has one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever been to (Yamazato) - thank goodness it is not in my city as it is quite expensive for the tasting menu but I would be hard pressed to stay away because it is simply amazing. Make an advance dinner reservation if you want to try it. It was also at this hotel that we got introduced to the Toto Washlet which made its way into our master bathroom remodel. Who would ever think that one could miss having a heated toilet seat after only experiencing one for 2 days? LOL! All I can say is it's a great hotel. Great location, great rooms and great service. There are elevators. Price is not too crazy expensive. $240 and up. They also have packages for whatever is going on in Amsterdam at the time and the museums and so forth, for example, we had a package to see the Keukenhoff - after a cruise, which was awesome and we had door to door service. What more could you want?

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Check out Park Plaza Victoria Hotel or Hotel Pulitzer, both are in the Heart of Amsterdam close to Central Station (for train to Airport on departure), but also close to the Canal Cruise boats and sights of the city.

They are not budget hotels, but check out reviews on Tripadvisor too.

Have a great trip! Amsterdam is one of my favorite European cities and we found the Dutch very welcoming and friendly.

We have stayed at the Moevenpick as well, while it is a nice hotel, it is a bit tricky getting to it. We were told by several people - including at the station that it was "only 300 meters from the train station." I'm pretty sure it isn't close to 300 meters as the crow flies. It was more like a mile to walk from the station to the hotel - DH was embarassed that we were hauling our luggage up and down the streets that were under construction, etc. By that time, it was too late to find a taxi, so we kept schlepping along - all 8 of us. Seriously, we looked like a mule team coming along the street. LOL I finally got the giggles (as I sometimes do when I'm overtired) when I saw another group of about 14 schlepping their luggage coming toward us - likely the hotel told them the train station was only 300 meters in our direction.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)