Upsell e-mail confusing

Medtech2

I got this offer too - sailing on the Getaway next April in a balcony. Free upgrade to a Minisuite offered. Dates given were Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec (including Nov. 22 and Dec. 20 - aren't those peak time?)

That is exactly what I was thinking. That to me is crazy that NCL is giving away free minisuites and balconies over thanksgiving and Christmas.

My e-mail offer was to switch from a spa balcony on Getaway, sailing February 7, 2016, to a regular mini-suite which I wouldn't consider an upgrade. Here were the offered Getaway replacement cruises:

September 5, 12, 19, 26, 2015 (Eastern).

October 3, 10, 17, 24, 2015 (Eastern).

November 22 and 29, 2015 (Western)

December 6, 13 and 20, 2015 (Western)

My e-mail offer was to switch from a spa balcony on Getaway, sailing February 7, 2016, to a regular mini-suite

Definitely keep that spa! Getaways mini-suite is just a little bigger bathroom than the regular balcony. Maybe they'll offer you something even better?

Funny you should post that Sand and Seas! That's exactly what happened. Thought I'd call to see what they'd offer, since I was going to cancel my Getaway cruise anyway once I found that great deal on the longer MSC Divina winter sailing.

Told the upsell department that I didn't think a spa balcony to a regular mini was an upgrade, but would consider switching for a spa mini. She agreed, so I switched my sailing to the Getaway Western Christmas Cruise for the same price and promo I already had.

I've always wanted to sail at Christmas. :D The downside is that I was so excited about the switch, that I forgot to ask why they were offering the upsells!

I , also, got the upsell email today. trade my Getaway cruise in January for a cruise in Sept, Oct, Nov, December,- upgrade to a balcony from oceanview. My PCC said he had no idea what that was about. He had me forward the email to him. :confused:

I think the key to the offer is the dates offered for switching. I suspect that NCL is not selling as many rooms rooms in between Thanksgiving and XMAS. This is the low season for the cruise industry. So, they are just offering folks a small 'upgrade' in order for them to fill the ships in early December. They know that they can move the rooms in January-March.

Another thing to think about......the cost of an oceanview in February may actually be more than the cost of a balcony in early December.

With all that being said, if I wasn't tied into traveling certain dates, I would counter offer with a request to go from inside to balcony OR oceanview to mini-suite.

Bingo!!!! This is exactly what is happening, they are selling the Spring Cruises across the fleet quite well but not so much on the Fall. Definitely check current prices I think many of the Balcony costs in early December and Early November are the same price as Ocean View in the spring. So on the surface look like a great deal but just trying to fill up the ships this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the same upsell e-mail - to change from a balcony cabin on the Getaway in Feb 2016 to the Fall dates and into a mini-suite.

The Fall dates are usually not when people want to get away for a Winter vacation, which is why people usually book a cruise in Feb; the offered dates are also during hurricane season. IMO the dates aren't an upgrade; also a balcony to a mini-suite isn't really an upgrade, you only get more room in the bathroom.

It appears to be a Marketing ploy/speak to sell something less desirable; JMO :)

I received an email too, to change my jan getaway cruise to a fall one. It included a Christmas sailing too.

I believe it's all due to I paid next to nothing for the cabin, got a bev package and latitude rewards.

Weird how I did not get an email for the escape. I am on that ship a week before the getaway and their oceanviews are being shown as sold out.

There is already a thread going about this but here is a cut and paste of what we rec'd.

We are in an aft for our Jan cruise that they are referring to.

I also sent an email of to the email addy they had proved and also to our PCC telling them how cheesy this off was.

ALTERNATE VOYAGE OFFER

WITH A FREE UPGRADE TO A Mini-Suite!

Dear ###############

We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to change your current reservation and receive a free upgrade to a Mini-Suite at no additional cost if you move to the same itinerary aboard N. Breakaway on the following sail date:

Applicable sail dates:

November 29, 2015

This offer is intended for those guests with flexibility in their travel plans. Please see full Mini-Suite details below.

The number of volunteers will be limited, so this offer is on a first-come, first-served basis!

You gotta love the last line.

Edited by Ilovesailing

I just received the same email for our March 2016 sailing. A free upgrade to a minisuite (from our balcony) if we switch sailing dates. No way!

Likewise. And give up my Aft Balcony? No way!

Come to think of it, a couple of months ago, I received a similar email concerning my cruise in August. Would I be willing to switch to the same itinerary one week earlier and receive an upgrade free of charge. Due to time constraints, that wasn't possible.

Edited by momoftwinteens
adding something.

Got the e mail yesterday to switch 1/9/16 Jade, Western C to Nov 21,28 or Dec 5,12,14/15. Balcony to mini suite. Curious about why. Read the various explanations. Don't think it is a charter issue due to the varied ships being offered the "upgrades"

Edited by coldferret
spelling

Just a thought: Escape comes online in mid-November for Caribbean sailings. Did a lot of their other customers decide to glom onto the early Escape sailings, leaving their other sailings a little empty? Could be a mini-glut of supply is causing these e-mails?

--Michael

If not a charter issue, there is another possibility...

It looks like they are trying to move people from 1st Quarter 2016 Sailing Dates to 4th Quarter 2015 Sailing Dates.

This would move the $$$ from one Quarter to another which will make the year-end financials look good.

Could just be the new management playing fast and loose with the books to get the numbers up to a level that will impress the stockholders.

...And it could also be a big sign that the "Market to Fill" model isn't working so well. :eek:

Interesting I just checked our 1/1715 12day sailing and they are now showing two aft cabins at almost $1K more than what we booked.

7 aft cabins for 1/3 sailing and 2 for 1/31 sailing. So they must have gotten some people taking advantage of upsell.