Get rid of The Compass?

RC should follow Disney and create an app that can only be used on the ship that provides the daily compass, menus, and allows users to chat with each other so you can find the rest of your party when you are on the ship.

I have friends who use computers 100% of the time for business ... and do not want to do technology when not working.

Sounds like one of the anti-formal night arguments, just change "use computers" and "do technology" to "dress up" :)

Apps schmapps! Just one more excuse to ignore your loved ones at the dinner table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:confused: if that were true, then it's a wash because they are ignoring them now with the compass. If the compass doesn't drive them to ignore their loved ones, how would an app that provides the same info do it?

I'm confused on why anyone would suggest or want to eliminate the Compass - most everyone really appreciates and uses that all day long.

Don't give them any ideas!

On our Disney cruise we left the Navigator in the room and barely looked at it. We had the app, but really didn't look at that much either. There wasn't a lot of useful information in either.

Just got a chuckle over the post about the new "casual dress code", showing the error in a recent Compass. But it got me thinking. For all the "save the waves" propaganda RCI puts out there, is it just me, or does it seem like the Compass could really be trimmed down or eliminated?

There is a TON of paper wasted in my cabin alone. Multiply that times a couple thousand every cruise, and it really adds up. Just thinking with the interactive TV's and what not, there are better ways to disseminate information.

Who else wouldn't mind seeing a "paper-free" cruise?

nooooo I am a scraper, so please send mine. Now all the ads for Park Avenue, etc...send them away

:confused: if that were true, then it's a wash because they are ignoring them now with the compass. If the compass doesn't drive them to ignore their loved ones, how would an app that provides the same info do it?

Don't be confused. It's just one more app to keep iZombies tethered to their phones.

IZombies? Apps schmaps? Technophobe?

Technophobe? Nope! Complete opposite. I supply it. Like a successful drug dealer, you don't get addicted to your own product. ;)

Technophobe? Nope! Complete opposite. I supply it. Like a successful drug dealer, you don't get addicted to your own product. ;)

Whatever you say, sounds like you're clinging to a out dated useless product while attempting to denigrate people who have moved on to more efficient up to date methods of information management.

Whatever you say, sounds like you're clinging to a out dated useless product while attempting to denigrate people who have moved on to more efficient up to date methods of information management.

Far from it my friend. There's a big difference between consumption and being consumed.

I wish the compasses were like they were years ago when you could separate the part that had the activities printed on both sides - it separated easily.

I would rather carry that piece of paper around than my Ipad/Iphone to check activities - easier to replace that piece of paper if lost than your device :)

Pat

Far from it my friend. There's a big difference between consumption and being consumed.

Why would the same information presented in a alternate format result in folks somehow being consumed by devices? You really do sound technophobic when you keep talking in that type of cliche. Have you seen evidence of this phenomenon you fear? On our Disney cruise all information was available in app form and the only time I saw someone being consumed by his iPad, he was not using the app at all and indicated he hadn't been aware of such an app during conversation.

So what is your fear?

I speculate more people are like us and drop the paper in a receptacle without much of a look to see what it is. I am not much interested in their schedule. I'm definitely not interested in their advertisements.

I like carrying the schedule of events with me. And no, I don't want to lose the paper option for some electronic app on my phone.

Royal could significantly cut the paper use by eliminating all the inserts in the compass.

I could care less about them saving paper,leave my compass on the bed every night.If they did save money you would never see it.That is like asking us to use the same towels to save water,no way i am on vacation.:)

Why would the same information presented in a alternate format result in folks somehow being consumed by devices? You really do sound technophobic

So what is your fear?

Fear? Now you're just getting silly...or consumed. :D

I agree. I think we have misplaced dichotomies these days. For example, a lot of people think it's perfectly acceptable to have your nose in a book or magazine all the time, but if you spend as much time conversing with people on text or Facebook or even reading a digital book on your iPad you're suddenly anti-social. It's also OK to be doing a crossword puzzle in a book, but if you're playing Angry Birds on your iPad ... what's the difference?

In this case, what's the difference between checking the schedule on your "device" or pulling out a piece of paper and reading that? The device has a lot of potential benefits as well. For example, maybe the app could have reminders so you can not miss Bingo or that great sale without having to have announcements all the time. Certainly, a few vibrate buzzes here and there would be preferable to having the loudspeaker go off in the middle of that great game of trivia you're enjoying.

I like packing the paper around instead of my phone or tablet since it doesn't weigh as much and I'm not using my phone on a cruise anyway, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a good idea for some.

Of course, you need to put your devices away during trivia since we don't want any Googling going on ...

Tom

Why would the same information presented in a alternate format result in folks somehow being consumed by devices? You really do sound technophobic when you keep talking in that type of cliche. Have you seen evidence of this phenomenon you fear? On our Disney cruise all information was available in app form and the only time I saw someone being consumed by his iPad, he was not using the app at all and indicated he hadn't been aware of such an app during conversation.

So what is your fear?

I speculate more people are like us and drop the paper in a receptacle without much of a look to see what it is. I am not much interested in their schedule. I'm definitely not interested in their advertisements.

I agree. I think we have misplaced dichotomies these days. For example, a lot of people think it's perfectly acceptable to have your nose in a book or magazine all the time, but if you spend as much time conversing with people on text or Facebook or even reading a digital book on your iPad you're suddenly anti-social. It's also OK to be doing a crossword puzzle in a book, but if you're playing Angry Birds on your iPad ... what's the difference?

In this case, what's the difference between checking the schedule on your "device" or pulling out a piece of paper and reading that? The device has a lot of potential benefits as well. For example, maybe the app could have reminders so you can not miss Bingo or that great sale without having to have announcements all the time. Certainly, a few vibrate buzzes here and there would be preferable to having the loudspeaker go off in the middle of that great game of trivia you're enjoying.

I like packing the paper around instead of my phone or tablet since it doesn't weigh as much and I'm not using my phone on a cruise anyway, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a good idea for some.

Of course, you need to put your devices away during trivia since we don't want any Googling going on ...

Tom

lol, perhaps people would be confused if you spent the day with your nose buried in a kindle reading a book.

I agree about the announcements, I can't tell you how old hearing from Ray the cruise director got for us. It was so loud we literally had to stop conversations and activity until he got done, regardless of the fact that we didn't care what he was talking about.

So what is your fear?

Well going by this thread, the opposite seems to be true.

I like the info that comes in it, but wouldn't mind seeing it on the T.V. instead. It is posted on all the electronic kiosks on every deck of the centrum and elsewhere so it's never been a problem to stop there to check things. And I barely glance at all the other stuff..totally wasted on me. Terrible waste and just a lot of trash to deal with in that little can.

But you can tell the steward not to bother with that and he will no longer bring it.:D