Uber suspends service at Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades

LMaxwell

Absolutely true! We just sailed on 6/14 out of Ft. Lauderdale. My son lives in the area and joined us on the sailing. He took an Uber to the Port ... the only reason they allowed the driver in was because my son showed his Law Enforcement ID and the Deputy gave the ok. However after the cruise, he couldn't get an Uber and ended up taking a taxi - ugh!

According to the BSO deputies we spoke with at the port, restricting Uber is due to security concerns.

Happy sailings...

Wow. I was actually going to look to see if Uber was being used in FLL. I figured it was, but was going to verify. Gtk. I assume the same for Lyft and other similar Uber services. I guess it's back to taxi cabs for my big family. Hopefully we can find a way to get a big cab for my family/luggage. Thanks for sharing.

That link won't open for me without a subscription, but here is another:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/uber-stops-pick-ups-at-lauderdales-airport-port/

To clarify a point above, they are not allowed to pick up at the airport, they are still allowed to drop off. However not getting another fare may make it not worth the driver's time. Thus making it harder to get a ride from the cruise port.

This could certainly have an impact on many cruisers and make getting around Fort Lauderdale more difficult and expensive.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-uber-broward-court-20150623-story.html

I'm glad you started the thread. I'll have to admit being almost totally ignorant of Uber still they started advertising here and became the butt of late night host's jokes.

Given the amount of traffic around the ports and the security of the port, I would rather not have them around. Airports? I feel the same way, but they should be treated as any other private vehicle. Now off to see what people with real experience think.

Back in November 2014, we grabbed an UberX from FLL to Liberty of the Seas. Our driver was pulled over and ticketed just as we got to the port since he had been "caught" before. It's a real shame this new competitor to taxis has been locked out.

I use Uber all the time here in D.C. and have had excellent experiences in comparison to our dirty and expensive cabs with dangers and rude drivers.

Edited by DJan07

I'm glad you started the thread. I'll have to admit being almost totally ignorant of Uber still they started advertising here and became the butt of late night host's jokes.

Given the amount of traffic around the ports and the security of the port, I would rather not have them around. Airports? I feel the same way, but they should be treated as any other private vehicle. Now off to see what people with real experience think.

I take it you have never used Uber or any other like service. I have found it to be super reliable, inexpensive, way more predictable/dependable than local cabs-- NOT to mention cleaner, nicer cars as well.

It is 'disruptve' technology of the best kind

That link won't open for me without a subscription, but here is another:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/uber-stops-pick-ups-at-lauderdales-airport-port/

Here's the entire Sun-Sentinel story:

Uber drivers no longer will pick up passengers at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Port Everglades, a withdrawal the company hopes will keep Broward County from heading to court.

In an email sent by Uber on Monday evening, drivers were told that the company is "temporarily suspending pickups'' at both locations "until further notice.''

However, Uber will continue dropping passengers off at both sites.

"You will no longer receive pickup requests at FLL and Port Everglades,'' the email to Uber drivers reads. "Please note that any partners attempting to circumvent this restriction may have their Uber account subject to deactivation, and Uber will not cover any citation received as a result of pickup at FLL and Port Everglades.''

The withdrawal was done on the eve of Tuesday's Broward County Commission meeting, where commissioners will decide whether to head to court to stop Uber from operating outside county laws. The county and Uber have been facing off since Uber entered the South Florida market last fall, upending the traditional taxi industry.

Taxi fares are regulated by the county, and the number of cabs limited by law. In contrast, Uber operates with unlimited vehicles, no restrictions on fares, and has declined to obtain the driver and vehicle permits required under county law.

Uber is required to obtain a "transportation network company'' license and contacted the county Tuesday morning to find out how to "come into compliance,'' Leonard Vialpando, director of the county's Environmental Protection and Growth Management Department, said.

Uber's competitor, Lyft, also does not yet have a TNC license.

In a statement to the Sun Sentinel, Uber said: "We have temporarily suspended airport pick-ups at FLL while we work toward a permanent operating agreement with county administrators. We look forward to partnering with county and airport officials in establishing a rideshare framework that reduces curbside crowding, increases landside efficiency and provides travelers with convenient, reliable transportation options."

The company previously said it will withdraw from the county entirely if new laws applying to transportation network companies are enforced. But enforcement has been ongoing, and Uber is still here.

The email to drivers says they can "feel free to take any passenger to FLL and Port Everglades as normal. Uber will continue to honor its policy of resolving any citations received as a result of drop-offs.''

It ended with assurance that Uber is "hard at work in discussions'' with the county "to return this important service.''

In a separate email, the company urged drivers to attend Tuesday's 2 p.m. county public hearing, to argue against the court move.

The agenda item, sponsored by Commissioner Lois Wexler, would allow County Attorney Joni Armstrong Coffey to file litigation over the summer.

The county sent Uber Technologies Inc. and Lyft Inc. letters on Nov. 26 "directing them and their drivers to cease operations in Broward County until such time as the companies and their drivers are in compliance with the Broward County Motor Carrier's Ordinance,'' a county memo attached to the agenda item says.

After that, the county revised its laws to legalize companies like Uber and Lyft, allowing unlimited vehicles and not regulating fares. But it requires drivers to be licensed by the county, to undergo fingerprint-based FBI criminal background checks done by the county, and to drive vehicles inspected by county-approved mechanics. The companies must obtain TNC licenses and provide a list of all drivers and vehicles under their permit. The vehicles must carry insurance required by the state, which the county attorney believes is 24/7 commercial insurance.

Uber's attempt to get state insurance laws changed this year failed.

"Uber and Lyft continue to operate in Broward County, not in compliance with these regulations,'' the county attorney memo says. "TNCs offered to pay fees to access the airport but have not negotiated for permission, yet continue to authorize drivers to access the airport.''

The proposed resolution would give the county attorney permission to "review the status of all resources necessary for TNCs to operate and to file suit, as and when appropriate, against TNCs that operate in Broward County other than in compliance with the county's regulations, and, in the case of the airport, a contractual arrangement to allow access by TNC drivers.''

Uber is 100x better than taking a cab and less than half the price.

I live downtown Fort Lauderdale and use Uber all the time. Probably 3 times a week.

Everyone I know uses Uber.

Edited by BlueHerons

We took Uber last night for a concert and the driver told us that they aren't allowed in the baseball stadium and the airport. Similar concerns for the airport (security) but I can't figure out the baseball one. Apparently, this isn't just for Florida.

due to not having commercial insurance.

That's hitting it nail on the head.

Most of these drivers just have the minimum insurance you need for personal car. I do not know FL insurance requirements but that is why in NYC the Taxi & Limousine Commission stepped in requiring TLC insurance and being registered with a "base" or company.

FWIW

These ride sharing companies already cover all the requirements set forth by the county. However, the county also makes money off these "inspections" and "licenses" required by the county. So you can see where their motivation comes from.

And again, they only said they can't pick up from the airport. There is nothing saying they can't drop you off.

Last night commissioners voted 7-2 to allow the county's attorney to look into taking Uber to court. "We're disappointed by the action, and we're going to wait to see what the county attorney says," said Kasra Moshkani, general manager of Uber in South Florida. http://www.wsvn.com/story/29390623/uber-nixes-fll-port-everglades-pickups-amid-legal-battle

Last night commissioners voted 7-2 to allow the county's attorney to look into taking Uber to court. "We're disappointed by the action, and we're going to wait to see what the county attorney says," said Kasra Moshkani, general manager of Uber in South Florida. http://www.wsvn.com/story/29390623/uber-nixes-fll-port-everglades-pickups-amid-legal-battle

Sorry to hear this but not surprised:(

Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers are the worst part of my vacation :mad:

I don't get it! These taxi drivers can cripple the city any time they want.

You would think the city leaders would welcome an alternative.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

On Monday I was waiting to pick up a friend in the airport cellphone lot.

It was full of uber drivers.

The first bad accident in one of those vehicles, you will be S O L

due to not having commericial insurance.

I'll take that chance, as long as they don't drive like a Fort Lauderdale taxi driver .

IE: speeding, cutting off other drivers, constantly on their cell phones, oh lets not forget blasting a religious radio station on the weekends :rolleyes:

All on my dime, i'll take Uber any day!

Edited by Reader0108598

UberX drivers have 1 million dollar coverage provided by Uber when carrying a rider. In addition to providing coverage to an UberX driver while online without a rider.

It's time for the taxi companies to step up their game. There would be no market if cabs and their drivers were in better condition!

It's quite a haul to get off airport property. The port is also very large. I'd use a cab upon arrival. You can use Uber going to the airport and port though.

As Hunky says it is quite a haul to get off airport property since the terminals are surrounded by runways and highways.

If you are disembarking at terminal 2 or 4 in Port Everglades (usually Princess ships), you could walk out to 17th Street. But depending on the season, even that wouldn't be very pleasant lugging suitcases in Fort Lauderdale's heat and humidity.

Take a look at the map: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/MEDIA/Port-Map-REVISED-Jan-2015.pdf

Okay, I just used Uber to run over to my girlfriend's house to pick up my car (hey, I had some wine).

My Uber driver told me he CAN pick up and drop off at Port Everglades and FLL because he has his chauffer's license. He said there were quite a few Uber drivers with chauffer's license.

So if you are there and request a pick up, the only drivers that will pick you up are those that are licensed.