Price drop after final payment. What are my options ?

uvasag

Was the price of picture window room same as what you paid initially for ocean view ? The impression I'm getting is that you are able to upgrade to a room at that room's current price .

No change in rate. Just a simple change in cabin.

Should I have asked for more?

No change in rate. Just a simple change in cabin.

Should I have asked for more?

Upon further review, not such a good deal. I could currently book same deck, same class as I currently have for $400+ less than I originally paid.

Upon further review, not such a good deal. I could currently book same deck, same class as I currently have for $400+ less than I originally paid.

So if the prices have dropped that much across the board, you might be able to get a balcony without paying extra. Check the prices of those balconies too, and if they are low enough, contact your TA again.

I am 27 days from sailing on the Dawn. I noticed yesterday a price drop (about $300 for the cabin) on my Oceanview. I called NCL and they were very helpful. Now - I realize you are told something different depending on who you talk to. In this conversation, she told me that the only time they can give OBC is when there is no upgrade available for the same price. In my case, there was an upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony guarantee for the same price. So, that was all she could offer me. I ended up upgrading to a BA guarantee for $40 more. That way, I'm assured at least a BA location. I could have very much used the OBC, but I'm more than happy that I now have a balcony for this upcoming cruise.

We are about a month out from our sailing. Just saw that our cabin category has dropped around $300 total for the room for 3 of us. Is it worth a call to NCL? I booked directly with them on line. We got the free UBP promo before the whole gratuity thing. IF they did offer us anything at all, not expecting them to, but if they did, would we lose this?

I am 27 days from sailing on the Dawn. I noticed yesterday a price drop (about $300 for the cabin) on my Oceanview. I called NCL and they were very helpful. Now - I realize you are told something different depending on who you talk to. In this conversation, she told me that the only time they can give OBC is when there is no upgrade available for the same price. In my case, there was an upgrade from an Oceanview to a Balcony guarantee for the same price. So, that was all she could offer me. I ended up upgrading to a BA guarantee for $40 more. That way, I'm assured at least a BA location. I could have very much used the OBC, but I'm more than happy that I now have a balcony for this upcoming cruise.

Well, they could move you to a mini suite in another location.

We are about a month out from our sailing. Just saw that our cabin category has dropped around $300 total for the room for 3 of us. Is it worth a call to NCL? I booked directly with them on line. We got the free UBP promo before the whole gratuity thing. IF they did offer us anything at all, not expecting them to, but if they did, would we lose this?

Yes you could lose the promotion. If the new price on the cabins are without the promotion being available any longer, then it's not a comparable price with what you got previously. I wouldn't expect any price drop plus getting to keep the promotion. If you try, be sure to get a firm answer.

I just upgraded after a price drop and my UBP went with me to my new cabin. I didn't lose it.

Well, they could move you to a mini suite in another location.

I would have been fine with that. I actually already got my cabin overnight. It's a BA balcony - but very happy with the location and deck. So, I guess it all worked out. I had dreams (briefly) of a great upgrade to a suite - but reality set it and I'm very happy to have the balcony.

I just upgraded after a price drop and my UBP went with me to my new cabin. I didn't lose it.

Likewise with me. I just upgraded for my cruise in August. I went from an OK obstructed view to a BC balcony. Not only did my OBC increase but my AARP discount was applied to the upgrade.

But even if you were able to keep the perk of the UBP, were you able to keep it at the "pre-gratuity" change from the original booking? They are currently/still offering the UPB promo but the whole gratuity thing has changed, so if I add that in for 2 of us, plus one with the soda, it may not make up the $300 price drop.

Just got off the Breakaway. We were originally booked in a mid-ship oceanview on deck 5. About 3 weeks prior to the cruise date, I noticed significant price drops for all categories. I checked to see what rooms are available (you have to go through a "pretend booking") and saw spa balconies were going for only $70.00 more per person than our original oceanview. I called our TA first thing the next morning and asked her to see if we could get an upgrade (no price refund since we were long past our final payment). At the point there were 7 spa balcony rooms available. She was able to get the upgrade for us - and we kept our UBP. So, for $140.00 we went from a deck 5 mid-ship oceanview to a deck 14 spa balcony. We also got free spa access - a value of $199.00 per person.

I realize this is way out of the norm to be able to get such a good upgrade, but it never hurts to keep watching - even to the day before sailing. You never know what's going to become available. If you see a good price drop and possible upgrade and your TA says you can't do it, it may be time to look for a new TA.

Good for you bjtravelnews. I think in future I'm going to book the cheapest inside room and make my trip plans around that cruise. Then as we get closer to the sail date, look for price drops and upgrade. If not, just sail with the inside room.

I took a cruise on the PoA in March. After final payment the price of our cruise went down $475 per person. We had 3 rooms booked and didn't want to do an upgrade since we wouldn't be guaranteed rooms near each other. They gave us each $475 future cruise credit. Never know unless you ask!

Update on my previous post about our BC category Balcony price dropping $300 (total) after final payment. We sail in about a month on Getaway.

I called today and was originally told I could cancel/rebook to get the new/lower fare but with $2,000 in penalties. :eek: Was she serious?! I told her I knew that they often offer people OBC or upgrades. (Newer to NCL but not new to cruising) She put me on hold and came back with an upgrade to a mini-suite guarantee category. Not a fan of the GTY we like to pick our own cabin and I know from reading these boards the mini doesn't gain us much space anyway. Plus the decks and locations I had seen still available didn't appeal to us. So, I asked for OBC, she put me on hold and disconnected me by mistake. Had to call back and luckily the person I originally spoke to noted the call in the system. The new person I was on the line put me on hold and came back and offered us $125 OBC. I was happy with that, since they didn't need to offer anything at all, technically.

So, yes, it pays to call and ask. We were happy with our original cruise fare when we booked, but since I had to go and check for a price drop even after final payment, at least we got something!;)

But even if you were able to keep the perk of the UBP, were you able to keep it at the "pre-gratuity" change from the original booking? They are currently/still offering the UPB promo but the whole gratuity thing has changed, so if I add that in for 2 of us, plus one with the soda, it may not make up the $300 price drop.

I kept the "pre-gratuity" from the original booking. Nothing about the promotion changed. I did not cancel my booking and rebook - that would have led to the new promotion. All I did was move rooms - so my promotion stayed the exact same. Within 5 minutes of the upgrade, I received an email confirming the promotion and all had stayed the same as before the upgrade.

A main issue, that I don't see mentioned- is they need a quad cabin. These are much harder to get any adjustments with, and if they booked with the kids free deal?

I find the initial rate paid, high for the Sun- which is a crappy ship. :) This ship had huge discounts last year- picked up 3 of them. Some sailings this year, aren't strong sellers either.

Overall, it never hurts to try and get adjustments, just, never expect them.

I kept the "pre-gratuity" from the original booking. Nothing about the promotion changed. I did not cancel my booking and rebook - that would have led to the new promotion. All I did was move rooms - so my promotion stayed the exact same. Within 5 minutes of the upgrade, I received an email confirming the promotion and all had stayed the same as before the upgrade.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention this in my update post above. None of our promotions changed, either. We kept the free UBP promo. I also got an email of our new Amenity Confirmation. It actually came before I even was off the phone with NCL!

A main issue, that I don't see mentioned- is they need a quad cabin. These are much harder to get any adjustments with, and if they booked with the kids free deal?

I find the initial rate paid, high for the Sun- which is a crappy ship. :) This ship had huge discounts last year- picked up 3 of them. Some sailings this year, aren't strong sellers either.

Overall, it never hurts to try and get adjustments, just, never expect them.

Yeah it is possible that even my initial payment is high. I didn't book with the kids free promotion either. I did sign up with *************** to see if my room was ever lower than what I paid for and it never was until after the final payment date. Now I get notified by ********** everyday :(

The TA is reluctant to make the call because

1. I told her I didn't want to spend more money for an upgrade and

2. she said she has been doing it for 20 years and knows that the only thing NCL will do is offer an upgrade if anything.

To add to what other's are saying but totally unrelated at this point - I'd initially booked the cruise thru an NCL agent. However, later I found that this cruise travel company was offering $250 of OBC of their own with the same price as NCL. I transferred my reservation to this cruise travel company to get the extra OBC. So I feel there are pros and cons to both - booking directly thru NCL or thru a TA

Ok, I now understand what is happening and your TA is probably right. If she works for a large, national agency they have probably bought blocks of cabins at a certain price wiht the OBC. If this is the case, you probably are stuck. I see her side of it as well. We have the same thing right now: Our agent works for one of the largest companies and they offered us a package that was fantastic. We know, if after final payment the chances are price drop or not we will have to live with the price. I am fine with that and do not expect an upgrade of any kind.

It also surprises me, she wouldn't even try. If there are enough mini suites available I am thinking there is a chance NCL will upgrade. That being said, it is high season.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I'm on the Sun to Alaska in late August. I noticed the same thing you did with respect to price drops. I called online TA who I booked with originally. He called NCL and I was able to upgrade my Oceanview from Deck 4 (porthole) to Deck 7 (picture windows) at no charge. Not a huge improvement, but worth the minimal effort.

I think what you are talking about is a little different. You are simply talking about upgrading from one deck to another and one catagory to another: OP is thinking balc to mini suite. There are times when NCL or any line will upgrade even more as we can see from some of these posts. Our last cruise it happened to us: we went from a standard ocean view to a balcony cabin not long after final payment. I love my agent, but I also know this isn't always the case and each booking is different.

Edited by newmexicoNita