My Time Dining and Amount of Time for Meals

Hi all! We are first time cruisers sailing the Freedom on her Eastern Caribbean itinerary next April and I'm ALREADY worried about not having enough time to do everything.

We want to swim, relax, play the slots, see the shows, play the games, visit the ports - you know - just EVERYTHING!

Anyway, I've been reading how long meals in the MDR can last. So I was wondering if, with MTD, you can enjoy a nice meal in the MDR but get out of there in an hour or so. Because, you know, there are places to go, people to meet, things to do. ;-)

Depending on the size of your table, you should be able to finish in an hour. The larger the table, the longer it takes. If you have 10 people at the table, it will be tough to finish in an hour. Also mention to your server about your desire to keep dinner at an hour.

Edited by clarea

Hi all! We are first time cruisers sailing the Freedom on her Eastern Caribbean itinerary next April and I'm ALREADY worried about not having enough time to do everything.

We want to swim, relax, play the slots, see the shows, play the games, visit the ports - you know - just EVERYTHING!

Anyway, I've been reading how long meals in the MDR can last. So I was wondering if, with MTD, you can enjoy a nice meal in the MDR but get out of there in an hour or so. Because, you know, there are places to go, people to meet, things to do. ;-)

If you speak to your team of servers when you arrive at your table and explain that you wish to dine quickly and be out of the dining room in an hour or so, they will most likely do everything that they can to accomplish this. However the various activities, especially the shows, are scheduled so that you can view or participate in them without unnecessarily rushing through your meals. I recommend that you try to relax and enjoy your cruise (and your meals) without rushing around trying to cram everything in.

The dining room staff will work with you. Just tell them that you have things to do and would like to have dinner as quickly as possible.

So Bob, I was going to ask you this on our Roll Call - while I do enjoy great conversation at dinner, I also don't think that we will want to spend several hours each evening having a meal.

As I said, with this being our first cruise, I think that we are going to want to try everything. Do you feel that the value of building a relationship with your table mates outweighs other experiences? Is there a way to mix it up on different evenings?

I recommend that you try to relax and enjoy your cruise (and your meals) without rushing around trying to cram everything in.

We'll try! We are traveling with another couple and we will want to compromise on what we do and how we do it. It's my personality. Just ask my DH. I always have to have something to worry about.

So Bob, I was going to ask you this on our Roll Call - while I do enjoy great conversation at dinner, I also don't think that we will want to spend several hours each evening having a meal.

As I said, with this being our first cruise, I think that we are going to want to try everything. Do you feel that the value of building a relationship with your table mates outweighs other experiences? Is there a way to mix it up on different evenings?

If you are on My Time Dining, then it's not likely you will have the same tablemates each dinner, unless you arrange that yourself.

We always do MTD, and rarely take longer than an hour to have a nice, relaxed meal. As Bob said, if you are at a large table you probably won't have the same table mates - but on FOS, there really aren't many tables in the MTD section that seat more than six. Most are either four-tops or two-tops.

IIRC the Eastern itinerary has three sea days, you will have more then enough time onboard to take in everything without feeling like you need to race through dinner to do so.

Frankly, around dinner time there is usually not a lot else to do (in terms of organized activities) since they are expecting most people to be at dinner.

My husband and I usually just get a table for two. It is usually about an hour.

There are times that we either aren't thrilled with the apps or aren't wanting dessert. On those nights, it is less than an hour.

Lingering in the dining room isn't my idea of fun. I have found that the longer you stay, the more the waiter wants to make small talk, which isn't something I enjoy. I'd rather find a lounge, one of the cafes, or use our balcony for relaxation.