What is your position on self-service laundries on cruise ships

How do you feel about self-service laundries on cruise ships?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about self-service laundries on cruise ships?

• I won't consider a ship that doesn't have one
    • I prefer to have one available, but will consider those that don't
    • Whether there is or is not one makes little or no difference
    • I won't consider a ship that has one

We travel very casually all the time and on cruises, we are in shorts and t-shirts the entire time. We don't bring any clothes that might need dry cleaning.

I like the laundry because we don't have to bring as many clothes as we can wash mid trip. We live in a semi arid part of Canada and we are not used to humidity so it's nice to be able change during the day and use the laundry to keep clean clothes available.

I naturally sweat a lot as well so I don't want to wear clothes more than once before I launder them.

I think the other passengers appreciate my doing this.

We travel very casually all the time and on cruises, we are in shorts and t-shirts the entire time. We don't bring any clothes that might need dry cleaning.

I like the laundry because we don't have to bring as many clothes as we can wash mid trip. We live in a semi arid part of Canada and we are not used to humidity so it's nice to be able change during the day and use the laundry to keep clean clothes available.

I naturally sweat a lot as well so I don't want to wear clothes more than once before I launder them.

I think the other passengers appreciate my doing this.

Thankyou....I know I do especially if in a humid destination:o

Part of my vacation is to get away from chores like cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.. But honestly my opinion would actually depend on the length of the cruise or whether I was doing a B2B. As of right now I have never done a cruise longer than 8 days, so I don't use the laundry because I just save it and do it when I get home. But if I were on a longer cruise, or a B2B I may do laundry to avoid packing so much.

Unfortunately, many cruise lines today market to a demographic that cannot afford to send their laundry out to be cleaned. Many prefer to risk their lives in a fire rather than paying a few dollars more to have their laundry cleaned for them.

At times you post useful information and other times I feel like you pass along some misinformation. You say demographics on many cruise lines dictate that passengers cannot afford to send clothes out.

Here is a list some lines with self service laundry. Please explain the demographics that would back up your conclusion: Azamara, Crystal, Oceania, Cunard, Seabourn, and Viking.

As others have pointed out, the insurance risk of self service is probably no greater than the large commercial equipment used by the cruise lines themselves. Unless you work on the insurance side or accounting side of a cruise line's business, you wouldn't even know.

Any vacation less than 10 days, I try to take enough to last me. If it will be longer, I'd prefer laundry to be available whether self serve or not. As long as RCI has the bag o laundry thing, I think I'd be alright. This upcoming trip will be roughly 2.5 weeks long but I intend to do laundry at a self serve place in Barcelona the day before we board the ship so it will last us until we get home.

As I said on the other thread, we get free laundry from Princess. Therefore I don't care if the ship has a self-service laundry or not.

Free laundry is one of the perks we also enjoy on several other lines. I prefer to do some of my own things and won't send them to a laundry even when it is free.

• 3 weeks later...

I find this an interesting topic thread as I am about to embark on my first cruise in SEPT.

Most of my holidays have been to Thailand and Bali and washing is incredibly cheap in those places so to come home with a whole case load of clean wonderful smelling clothes is bliss. :) It is wonderful when you open your cupboards weeks later and you get that lovely fragrance floating up which really helps your post holiday 'blues'.

My up coming cruise is only 14 days but I will be away for 19 days so I guess some washing will be necessary. RCL (Legend) does not have a laundry ... (well i cannot see it on any deck plans ??) so I guess I need to budget for at least 1 or 2 wash loads thru room service.

So where do I find out the cost of washing on my ship ?? :confused:

One needs this info to budget accordingly !!:D

cheers Deb

I find this an interesting topic thread as I am about to embark on my first cruise in SEPT.

Most of my holidays have been to Thailand and Bali and washing is incredibly cheap in those places so to come home with a whole case load of clean wonderful smelling clothes is bliss. :) It is wonderful when you open your cupboards weeks later and you get that lovely fragrance floating up which really helps your post holiday 'blues'.

My up coming cruise is only 14 days but I will be away for 19 days so I guess some washing will be necessary. RCL (Legend) does not have a laundry ... (well i cannot see it on any deck plans ??) so I guess I need to budget for at least 1 or 2 wash loads thru room service.

cheers Deb

Royal does not have any self serve laundry (other than your bathroom sink) on any of their ships. The link will take you to a post that has a PDF attachment. The list is a couple of years old, but it will give you an idea.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39709978&postcount=3813

cheers Deb

You are correct. No self service laundromats or ironing rooms on any RC ship.

At some point in your cruise there will be a special - a bag that you can stuff with underwear, t shirts socks, etc. if you roll stuff you can fit a lot in. It is usually $30 for the bag; I believe it may be free for suite guests and D+ C&A members. Strictly for wash and fold. No pressing. Would not recommend for "good" dress clothes.

Laundry/dry cleaning prices are about the same, or cheaper, than I pay at home. You can also just get things pressed. Normally a 2-day service; extra for express service.

Someone here or on the RC board can probably post the laundry list actual prices.

cheers Deb

I don't sail on Royal Caribbean, but I would check its website to see if there's prices listed for laundry. If not, ask on the RC board to see if anyone can list them from a recent cruise.

One reason we don't go on their ships is that with trying for two week cruises or one week ones with a land trip, we want to use a self-service laundry. We're about to do a road trip (girl off to her dorm) and the hotel I've booked for when we're in her college town does have a coin-operated laundry.

Interesting opinions. Personally (and speaking for DW) the idea of spending any cruise or vacation time in a laundry is not our idea of a vacation. We have cruised on many ships with self-service laundries and seldom to ever visit the places other then when I (not DW) decide to do a quick iron touch-up on a shirt. On cruises of 2 weeks (or less) we usually have more then enough clothes to last the trip without needing to do laundry. On our longer cruises (and we have taken a few that were about 2 months long) we simply send-out our laundry. Although we no longer need to pay for laundry on most cruise lines (we are generally in a frequent cruiser category that includes free laundry) we would note that many lines have some decent laundry specials such as $20 for a bag!

Hank