Excursion ? About Bermuda and St. Marteen

Hello!

A few questions about bermuda and st marteen...

-would it be cheaper to take a cab to the beaches in those islands rather than book through the ship?

-Is it safe?

-where can we find the cabs?

-how much would cab cost approx? And

-which beaches would you recommend in either islands?

Fyi, we have little people within our group also (ages 6 and 9) so no nude beaches please lol

Hello!

-would it be cheaper to take a cab to the beaches in those islands rather than book through the ship?

-Is it safe?

Fyi, we have little people within our group also (ages 6 and 9) so no nude beaches please lol

Cannot help you with Bermuda but we have been to St Martin many times. Cabs are plentiful and easy to secure, just look for the big information center when you get off the ship...cabs are located behind there.

We just got back from a cruise with our granddaughters (14 & 8) and we still took them to Orient because it's our favorite beach. We went to the far end to La Playa and had the best day. Only saw one topless lady very briefly and the girls were not phased because we had warned them it was a possibility.

Some will tell you to go the beach in the downtown area near where the ships dock but the locals will not swim there due to the water polution. Just thought you might want to be aware....

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Cabs in Bermuda can be very expensive. We find the local public bus service to be very efficient. It is not too expensive and as a matter of fact we always buy a three day pass. Buses run frequently and go all over the island. If you have a question, just ask a driver. Unlike the bus systems in most U.S. cities, where some of the drivers can be real cranks, you will find both drivers and locals on Bermuda to be very friendly.

As for St. Marteen, there is a small sandy beach right off of the boardwalk in Phillipsburg. You can take a shuttle ferry from the port to the boardwalk for $7 round trip, I think. There are plenty of cabs at the port if you want to explore other beaches. Most of the larger beaches will have cabs waiting or you can ask a driver to come back at a specified time. We find the ship excursions usually to be overpriced cattle herds and they control the time, not you.

Cannot help you with Bermuda but we have been to St Martin many times. Cabs are plentiful and easy to secure, just look for the big information center when you get off the ship...cabs are located behind there.

We just got back from a cruise with our granddaughters (14 & 8) and we still took them to Orient because it's our favorite beach. We went to the far end to La Playa and had the best day. Only saw one topless lady very briefly and the girls were not phased because we had warned them it was a possibility.

Some will tell you to go the beach in the downtown area near where the ships dock but the locals will not swim there due to the water polution. Just thought you might want to be aware....

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

May I ask how much a cab to Orient Beach costs?

Thank you

Guest maddycat
Cabs in Bermuda can be very expensive. We find the local public bus service to be very efficient. It is not too expensive and as a matter of fact we always buy a three day pass. Buses run frequently and go all over the island. If you have a question, just ask a driver. Unlike the bus systems in most U.S. cities, where some of the drivers can be real cranks, you will find both drivers and locals on Bermuda to be very friendly.

The bus pass also includes all ferry travel in Bermuda. You can purchase one, two or three day passes. They're sold on the pier near where the ship docks. Bermuda is very clean and safe.

Beaches in BOTH places are easy to DIY! In Bermuda, public transportation is everywhere and easy!

You almost NEVER need an excursion for a beach day! Yes...it's as "safe" as going through the cruise line...maybe more so...it's really up to you to be aware of your surrounding, whether on a cruise, or at the mall!!!

Hello!

-Is it safe?

St Martin taxi to the beach at the airport to watch the planes - $8.00 per person with groups of 2 or more. So 8.00 per person. 45 minute drive. Beach is ok, but the planes are great. You don't need to stand at the fence. It's free entertainment.

Is it safe? Depends what your definition is and where you live. All places a ship goes to is safe provided that you don't go wondering off to the shady part of town.

Cabs are found just off the ship.

Nude beaches......even if it is not nude, you can encounter topless, but I doubt it would even be noticed.

Hello!

-Is it safe?

In May we took a cab at the stand in St Marten with a few other people and it was $8.00 per person. We left early and paid $20.00 for my wife and I back to front street to do some shopping then took a leisurely walk back to the ship. In Bermuda we did a 6 hour private Tour with a Blue Cab as my wife had never been there before. If you want the beach there are shuttles that go back and forth all day to the beaches for $16.00 pp round trip (you can find them just outside of the port).

In St. Maarten, we found a kiosk at the port and booked a tour there. They call themselves a "taxi association" but I think that's deceiving because there is no flexibility. You have to choose one of their set tours. We wanted to see both sides of the island as well as Maho Beach, so we chose the only tour that included Maho Beach and Marigot. It also took us to Orient Beach.

Be aware that Orient Beach does have a nude area, and our van dropped us off at the spot between the nude and clothed areas. There's a sign on the clothed side that says no nudity is allowed, but that didn't stop a couple of nude people from wandering over. All of the restaurants are on the clothed side, and I think that people didn't want to bother getting dressed to run over and grab something to eat. St. Maarten was the last port on our cruise, so I'd seen a lot of beaches by the time we got there and I think Orient was my least favorite. We were there several weeks after a hurricane, so maybe it's better now, but there just wasn't a lot of beach area, and the waves in some spots were pretty choppy.

It was nice to see both sides of the island, but our tour was much too rushed. I think we had less than 30 minutes at Maho beach, so we didn't see any airplanes. My favorite stop was actually Marigot. They have a nice outdoor market there and we found some nice souvenirs. One thing that was different about St. Maarten compared to the other stops on our Southern Caribbean itinerary was that it is more developed and we didn't see the level of poverty there that we saw on some of the other islands.

674358164_P1080782BlackBar.jpg.9b2fe5af3b1b0347508d50082b8c46be.jpg

P1080785C.jpg.659d83cb1b35f4ebc7b53eb43b0e3809.jpg

Edited by emmtee