Silver Cloud Copenhagen to Tower Bridge July 7, voyage 1519

spinnaker2

I think she would like stuff at the start of her cruise rather than the end ....

Jeff

Oops sorry, Spinnaker , I thought you were starting in London - that'll teach me to read things properly!!.

Rp

So sorry to hear about your luggage problems. I did like the suggestion that you should sleep with your psychiatrist.

Silversea might be able to come up with some outfits for you and Larry. Let's hope that is not necessary and that your luggage shows up SOON.

In any event, try to enjoy your trip.

Still no bags. All four are in ether. We are going to ship to embark. All possible people and corporate reps have been contacted multiple times. Claims registered. Just want to get aboard at this point. :-)

Good luck, Candy!! You need it. The good news? It does not seem that things can get much worse after the ticket spelling situation and then the luggage problems. And, all of those long, long flights. Appreciate your updates.

Look forward to hearing your impressions and insights on the Silver Cloud, the crew, etc. Say "HI!" to CD King for us. Look forward to reading many more details. And about happier times!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,753 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Bummer on the lost luggage. Actually, Copenhagen seems to be a common place for that as we had all bags lost between Tulsa and there once. 4 bags. Going on a cruise. I was let into the lost luggage area of the Copenhagen airport which is huge, the size of a gymnasium , and packed with lost luggage. Fortunately ours did turn up before embarkation, just barely, as we had a 2 night precruise in Copenhagen so had a little time. I was very tired of wearing the same clothes for 3 days and sleeping in the hotel robe.

Thanks all for the concern. I am happy to report that about 4:15, we got a call to come and identify luggage purported to be ours on the quay. Happily it was ours! We were to be onboard at 4:30.

The agent for silversea in Copenhagen made numerous calls, and the only thing that lit any fire under the airline was that my husband needed his medication in the bags. Otherwise there would have been no impetus to get it to us at all.

I had investigated the express bag service in the past and it is looking better as an option for future cruise travel, albeit expensive. Certainly KLM did not care about our dilemma as every single person we spoke with at the bag service made hollow promises about returning our calls and getting our bags to us. Interestingly the bag service is in Prague. Pretty far away from Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Our time in Copenhagen was a complete stress event.

We also were lucky in that we met a couple at breakfast who were attending a vascular surgery conference. They knew a physician in Copenhagen who was willing to write prescriptions for my husband to get his blood pressure and other medications. We waited until the last minute before going to the ship, but Larry was able to walk to a pharmacy and fill two weeks of medication in case the bags never showed up.

Our bags finally arrived to our suite onboard after 6:30. We felt like the grunge people. All contents were intact.

We have enjoyed our first sea day. It rained last night, but is sunny and cool today. Many around the pool soaking up sun and slurping oysters and mussels.

There have been some changes implemented just yesterday in the menu and food offerings.

There are no longer any standby or constant items that one may order. Instead there are two choices in each category of food. That change is for the restaurant. In La Terrazza, the regional food specialty is now a family food item, so the regional items are served for the entire table. Our waitstaff told us these changes are implemented fleet wide as the idea is to have the same menu on all of the ships every day.

No longer any cheese plate on the dessert menu at La Terrazza last night, and the desserts are also going to be the same in the Restaurant as in La Terrazza.

Standardization.

I noticed far less of a choice at breakfast, especially the cheese choices. Not sure if that is just because this is a smaller ship.

Lunch menu at the grill seems the same.

Tomorrow is Tallinn.

So glad your luggage arrived Spinnaker2! I've been thinking of you since you posted about the missing bags. Not a great way to start so thusly, it will improve muchly as the cruise progresses! :) Have an awesome trip!

I am happy to report that about 4:15, we got a call to come and identify luggage purported to be ours on the quay. Happily it was ours! Our bags finally arrived to our suite onboard after 6:30. We felt like the grunge people. There have been some changes implemented just yesterday in the menu and food offerings. There are no longer any standby or constant items that one may order. Tomorrow is Tallinn.

Great to hear, Candy, that you have your bogs and getting out of that "grunge" situation. Good "lesson" about not packing any meds and such items within your checked baggage. We always try to keep that handy in a carry-on bag. Look forward to your continued excellent updates and details on food, etc.

Enjoy Tallinn! We loved that town, its history, architecture, shopping bargains, etc. Good news? The euro is down to only $1.11 today. Lots of reasons to buy more there in Tallinn.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,075 views for these postings.

In La Terrazza, the regional food specialty is now a family food item, so the regional items are served for the entire table.
Do note, you can order any single item of the three listed for the family style regional menu for an individual. Although the menu states the family style choices are for the whole table, we were able to enjoy any of the items we liked individually.

Also, be aware, you can have any cheese that you like to complete your meal. They have a wide selection available, just need to let your server know what styles you would like to enjoy.

Pleased your bags arrived after all the hassle you endured.Enjoy your cruise.Sorry to hear of the standardisation of the food through ought the fleet coupled with choices on the dining room menu down to two items,as well as the always available daily menu now being never available.One of the pleasures of SS cruises to all parts of the world used to be sampling the local specialities of food and wine acquired by the head chef and sommelier in remote places.Is there anything left that we have enjoyed for the last 20+ years on SS?Hope so following positive report by Mayflower from the Wind last week!!

Cheese menu appeared tonight in la terrazza.

I am told it was being updated.

Enjoyed some great cheese with a glass of port.

Just to mention, husband did have his meds in carryon, but not enough for the 12 day cruise. I agree he should have had enough for the entire cruise, that would have been easy to take and one less worry with lost bags.

He was not a Boy Scout. :-)

Crew are lovely and attentive.

Weather continues to be sunny and pleasant.

Just to mention, husband did have his meds in carryon, but not enough for the 12 day cruise. I agree he should have had enough for the entire cruise, that would have been easy to take and one less worry with lost bags. He was not a Boy Scout. :-) Crew are lovely and attentive. Weather continues to be sunny and pleasant.

Appreciate, Candy, the great info on the crew and the weather. Your husband was "not a Boy Scout"??? Ladies need to keep working on those husbands to make them "behave" and be better. BUT, that's a serious challenge. Husbands are very, very hard to "train"!!

Keep up the great updates and sharing.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,632 views for this posting.

Aha cheese lovers!

Today there was an assortment of lovely cheese at breakfast in la terrazza.

Arrived at Tallinn around 7:50 am. Cool, breezy and intermittent clouds, we breakfasted outside on deck at la terrazza.

Off ship for our own walk around Tallinn. Charming old town. Took tons of pictures, but am having battery charger issues in the suite. So will have to recharge before attempting any transfer from camera.

Butler, Rowena, brought a power strip to try.

Have seen a few crew we know, to include Peter, a bar staff, the first person we saw. Hugs all around.

Ship seems in good shape. All crew eager to please.

Again officially jealous with you having Rowena as your butler.She is fabulous.

Great news re your baggage,But once again what terrible service with European airlines.You really do need a third party to do the leg work for you.Kudos to Silverseas.

With us BA also refused to have anything to do with us once the bags reached Amsterdam even though we did not have them.In our case a wonderful Marriott concierge who tracked them down.

Enjoy your cruise.

Congratulations on getting your luggage. I too am always telling George he needs to not put his mess in the checked luggage, but he never listens to me.

Glad to hear cheese reappeared as well. When we were on Explorer last fall, the chef told me about the standardization of the menus. Apparently the chefs are allowed a little leeway to be creative, but in general, they are to stick to the standardized version.

Congratulations on getting your luggage. I too am always telling George he needs to not put his mess in the checked luggage, but he never listens to me...

I assume you mean meds, but "mess" is much funnier! Could almost be a Freudian slip!

Chris always accuses me of making a mess in the checked luggage... Funny, I never listen either!

Butler, Rowena, brought a power strip to try.

Again officially jealous with you having Rowena as your butler.She is fabulous.
Agree with the good Doctor as Rowena was out Butler in Suite #625 before you joined the Cloud in Copenhagen. Exceptional service from her and our Cabin Steward, Nino, the entire 17-day journey.

I can't resist sharing that we just off the Whisper/fjords cruise and that KLM has struck again.

One of our two bags was lost and hasn't been found yet. I will be joining the grunge brigade

as I didn't follow my own advice to split clothing I to two bags. Wish I could figure out how to

light a fire in Amsterdam, but we are now in Poland.

I will post separately on our cruise (loved the itinerary/felt SS wasn't at its finest) but couldn't resist being the third person n one thread to have had KLM lose a bag.

After the third time we had lost luggage going to Europe I invested ina gps luggage tag.

I always carry a change of clothes in my hand luggage now.

In 2013 when we were doing our Baltic cruise 2 of our 3 bags went awol. Cathay and Finnair, both had no idea where they were. (Transfer inHK)

Thanks to the gps and a very insistent concierge at the Park Hyatt Moscow we located them in HK airport. They had been taken for a random security check and not placed back in the system. No one had scanned them off the carousel either.

MrW Jnr had to do a significant shop as he had only 2 changes of clothes, I was able to share a few things with Miss W but the grung look was certainly evident. The bags arrived in Stockholm 2 weeks after we had left home and on the afternoon of our departure on the cruise.

The food thing worries me a bit....... I was hoping we'd get local flavours

Ship seems in good shape. All crew eager to please.

We have not heard from Candy in two and a half days. Assume she and her DH are just busy having fun and seeing so much. Wanted to check in, see how things were going with the Silver Cloud, in Tallinn, etc. Are you right now in the middle of doing those three wonderful days in St. Petersburg? Temperatures there today and tomorrow look to be in the 50's. A little cool. Should have lots to share from your shore experiences there in Russia.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,847 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hello all.

Nope did not jump in Neva, although tempting.

Quite chilly here. Joke is it might snow.

So much to post but will have to wait a bit.

Busy seeing all.

So very much to see.

One worry is that someone apparently misconstrued food offerings in restaurant.

There are two offerings from every category...so two crudo, two seafood, two meat etc.

Will post more later.

Greetings from Helsinki.

We are going with the chef to tour the market.

It's overcast and in the fifties. Quite chilly and damp, some rain expected.

Glad I packed for this weather.

Have almost forgotten the luggage issue, well almost is the operative word.

Tomorrow is a sea day so hope to post more.

From tonight's menu in restaurant:

From crudo bar...gravlax, avocado ceviche

From appetizers...tod man fish cakes, white asparagus & condiments

Soups...tofu and enoki, trasimena DOP white bean soup

From salads...mesclun, spicy grilled beef

From pastas...rigatoni alla bosciaola, pappardelle al Raghu di cinghiale

From burgers...applewood smoked, jalapeño black angus

From the sea...grilled lemon sole, barbecue smoked trout

From the fields...roast beef, baby chicken and lamb keg

Vegetarian...stuffed vegetables and seared tofu...

Edited by spinnaker2
Spelling error

Greetings from Helsinki.

We are going with the chef to tour the market.

It's overcast and in the fifties. Quite chilly and damp, some rain expected.

Glad I packed for this weather.

Have almost forgotten the luggage issue, well almost is the operative word.

Tomorrow is a sea day so hope to post more.

From tonight's menu in restaurant:

From crudo bar...gravlax, avocado ceviche

From appetizers...tod man fish cakes, white asparagus & condiments

Soups...tofu and enoki, trasimena DOP white bean soup

From salads...mesclun, spicy grilled beef

From pastas...rigatoni alla bosciaola, pappardelle al Raghu di cinghiale

From burgers...applewood smoked, jalapeño black angus

From the sea...grilled lemon sole, barbecue smoked trout

From the fields...roast beef, baby chicken and lamb keg

Vegetarian...stuffed vegetables and seared tofu...

We have just booked this cruise itinerary for next year (but to Southampton, not Tower Bridge, which we would have loved!) so following your thread with interest. Thanks for sharing :)