Silver Cloud Copenhagen to Tower Bridge July 7, voyage 1519

spinnaker2

Morning all.

Second sea day and it's SUNNY! First break in the weather for days. While it's just a little chilly when the sun is under a cloud, it's wonderful. One of our tour guides in st Petersburg said that every time the silver cloud came into port, they, ie the Russians, could be certain the would have "clouds". Irony I guess, but it certainly was very cold and cloudy there and in Helsinki.

As mentioned yesterday we went to the market with the chef, David Bisland. Our group kept pace with him as he bought items for today's cooking demonstration.

The display of fresh fruit, vegetables and fish by the vendors was mouth watering. We are looking forward to the food presentation by the Chef later today.

We were able to eat breakfast outside on the deck at La Terrazza this morning, first time it has been warm enough to do so. Magnificent and one of my favorite places to be aboard ship.

Tonight is a formal night, the second of two, and also the Venetian soirée.

We will eat in the MDR for the first time on the cruise.

We have been so tired from all the touring that we have not been able to make any of the shows. The fact that there are so few hours of darkness also is playing havoc with my inner clock, even with the curtains tightly closed. No matter as this is a wonderful cruise and we are enjoying it.

I don't see anything that needs serious attention in the ship. The brass is gleaming, common areas pristine, and crew are terrific.

I am trying not to compare the Spirit or other ships with this one. The Cloud has a warmth and ambience all its own. I am appreciating it for itself.

There was no meet and mingle, even though the quota to have one was apparently reached. I do feel badly that I haven't been able to connect with other CC'ers through that event. I confirmed that it was not scheduled through the CD. I am not sure what happened.

The Internet is very slow unless one hops on very early in the morning or late at night. I see many PAX walking around with their iPads. The unlimited package must be very popular but also clogs up the availability and speed.

This weather has been tough on some of the pax in terms of clothing. They packed for a "cruise", thinking that light clothing was apropos as well as tropical attire.

We have been dining in La Terrazza at night. Food has been good with corresponding service. The only night we had reserved for the grill was too cold for us so we ate in our suite.

Rowena is, as I mentioned, excellent. Have passed along greetings from those who asked me to, with hellos back from crew.

Not certain I can post photos while at sea. For one thing, it is taking forever to upload some of them.

I may have to use an intermediary or wait until land.

More later from the sea as the Cloud is blessed with sun and calm waters.

For posting photos at sea it really is a good idea to resize them before uploading.I resize mine to 400 pixels.Was uploading 100 photos of that size in a few minutes on board and then posting them to CC.However most of my online time was 10pm-midnight.

I am glad you are finding the Cloud as good as we did.

spinnaker2/Candy; thanks for your wonderful on board posts. Glad you're having fun with David Bilsland--we thoroughly enjoy his cooking classes, demo's and "Ready, Steady, Cook" events.

Candy, if you want to send me a few pix via email (believe u have) glad to post for you.

For posting photos at sea it really is a good idea to resize them before uploading.I resize mine to 400 pixels.Was uploading 100 photos of that size in a few minutes on board and then posting them to CC.However most of my online time was 10pm-midnight. I am glad you are finding the Cloud as good as we did.

YES, appreciate, the wonderful and added travel details from Candy. Earlier today, she sent me a number of exciting pictures from your trip. Will post here later today.

Getting ready now at home for a group of National Assembly members from Bulgaria to arrive and do a program with them. For my postings, I have used a 1000 pixel wide size and things worked very well on Silver Cloud for uploading along the Amazon, in Norway, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,328 views for these postings.

Here are a few visual samples that Candy/spinnaker2 had forwarded to me via e-mail for posting here. Did a slight amount of cropping, etc. Here goes parts one.

Do these bring back nice memories?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 181,007 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

These two pictures are from Copenhagen. First, showing a famous dome in this Denmark capital near the docking area. Second are some of the wind turbines that are in the waters there as you do your sail-away.:

July2015A11_zpsmojvgrbh.jpg

July2015A12_zpshvvcg0qd.jpg

From Tallinn, first is the view from the Silver Cloud towards the historic towers, church domes, etc., in this charming town in Estonia. Next are a couple of different views within their historic, hilly areas reflecting the character there.:

July2015A16_zpswga4lvuz.jpg

July2015A13_zpsyicg2ky4.jpg

July2015A18_zpsrckrrslt.jpg

Here is a little sampling by Candy from that amazing superstar city of St. Petersburg with its famed architecture, history, character, etc.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,347 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From St. Petersburg, the first picture shows a church being passed along with the submarine being along the shore. Candy viewed this as "quite a mixed message, but powerful". Second is a distant view as they were approaching St. Petersburg. It was some distance far out. But, Candy never did learn what church this is. Anyone know? The third picture is a view from the docked Silver Cloud of the Palace of Arts and Science. A statue of Catharine is astride the building on the very top.:

July2015A14_zpsauol9y9p.jpg

July2015A15_zps3ga6sa0f.jpg

July2015A17_zpssucp2faa.jpg

We were docked right by that church and the sub when we were in st. Petersburg on Regent, and that was about 7 years ago. The church was being redone, but according to our guide, it had been a skating rink during Soviet times. It has now been reconstructed as a church again. There was a bunch of scaffolding around it when we were there, and that has now been taken down.

cooking demo yesterday was fun. Chef David made mushroom soup and filet of venison. We had an opportunity to sample the food we purchased the day prior in Helsinki.

The audience was enthralled by the presentation. Chef David is a personable down to earth guy, who relates well to people and also is a good teacher.

These are lovely attributes in a chef, as many I have met are haughty.

The sea day, which I posted was so gorgeous, quickly took a turn for the worse, and it became squally and rainy. I think I may have jinxed it by touting the great weather. That will teach me.

Still, we had curry by the pool, along with a number of other passengers, bundled up in blankets and under the covered sail. The curry was very nice even while being rained upon.

The evening was the Venetian party, held in the panorama. Over one hundred of the pax are Venetians, many of them have cruised so many days they likely have been sailing every day for years. We were mentioned, but only because we have yet to get over the hump of days needed for free laundry, we are two days away.

That will change in November when we board the Spirit for a TA.

We had dinner with the Doctor and another couple from Australia in the MDR( they are some of the pax who remained onboard from the prior cruise). This was our first experience the MDR on the Cloud. Ambience was special as it was a formal night. I had to order the mushroom soup, the very same recipe as prepared by Chef David earlier. It was YUMMY.

Nice to have the music playing in the background, and several couples dancing.

The cheese menu is more extensive than LaTerrazza.

Up and at em early this morning. We arrived on time at Warnemunde, a seaside resort and port for other ships. View as we were coming in is of nuclear plant and wind turbines, what a contrast!

Breakfast in La Terrazza, buffet. El Larro has the same thing every day. Low fat yogurt, berries, dry muesli and other dry cereal. He asked yesterday for low fat Greek yogurt, and today it magically appeared. Waitstaff very accommodating as is the maitre d. If you are lucky enough to have Joseph, Mark Anthony or Kenneth you are well taken care of. Actually they are all wonderful.

Many of the pax off the ship early to go on a trek to Berlin. We decided not to do this, as the amount of time spent on the bus was prohibitive for El Larro, who would have his knees in his mouth. He is too tall for this trip to be comfortable for him. We did look into taking the bullet train, but after speaking with our son who lived in Germany for many years, decided against trying to get to Berlin on this trip. Another time when we can enjoy it in a relaxed atmosphere.

The weather today in Warnemunde is chilly, but sunny. Windy, but excellent for walking around the town. In port is NCL ship, huge. The town is crowded with vacationers at this time of the year, add in the cruise pax and the streets are chock full.

People on the beach even though the wind is blowing. Many are walking along the strand, stopping at sidewalk cafes and partaking of fish dishes and beer.

While we were wearing jackets and jeans, the majority of the tourists were wearing sleeveless shirts and shorts. BRRRRR.

Lots of the crew are getting off to phone home through Facebook or Skype or just walk about sans uniform or responsibility. They looked carefree.

We had lunch in La Terrazza. Tried to eat outside but the wind was going to take our glasses as missiles, so inside we came.

Tonight we are eating in Le Champagne. Probably wouldn't have chosen it, but was a gift and therefore we will go.

We are in port until 10:30 pm. Probably not a place I would come back to although charming in its own right.

Many thanks to Terry for helping me to post my pictures. Somehow I still can not master this task! Was able to do a practice test run from home, but so far unsuccessful aboard ship. Thanks again Terry!

Happy to be of help. Brings back nice memories from our Baltics adventures there in 2008. Plus, seeing some places, such as Peter and Paul Fortress, that we were not able to see at that time as we did Moscow, plus other things in and around wonderful St. Petersburg.

Next? Some Helsinki visuals!

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 24,213 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here is the exterior of Peter and Paul Fortress, plus an amazingly good and highly detailed picture of its ornate interior. Third is a cute cat resting (or maybe working?) while sitting on a guard's chair.:

July2015A19_zps8rykc21q.jpg

July2015A20_zps63lhrl1r.jpg

July2015A21_zps6lsnrxni.jpg

Inside the Hermitage, here is the Throne Room. Candy remarked to me that it is good to be the Czar. BUT, there was a few times, such as in 1917, when things were not as grand for the Czar and his family.:

July2015A24_zpsuf4bcl5s.jpg

Here is the view from Candy's Suite on the Silver Cloud with a small, but nice, sampling of historic buildings in St. Petersburg.:

July2015A23_zpswb9rv3wu.jpg

Near Catherine's Palace in the town of Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin), here is their guide, Ludmila, getting the birds around there to land and "perform". It was noted: "She said this had never happened before. They must be hand fed by others to be so unafraid.":

July2015A22_zps1nlbztb4.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Now for some Helsinki visuals from Candy/Spinnaker2. Too bad that things did not work out for doing and seeing Berlin. We will have that city still on our to-do list. BUT, it is a long, long day with lots of logistics time to accomplish that excursion from a cruise ship.

Looking forward to getting more pictures from our fun traveler and will post here for others to enjoy. Don't be shy! Share an added comments and experiences (or questions) from visiting in these areas.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 52,989 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From Helsinki, first is a visual from being with Executive Chef David in doing some cheese shopping. This was at the cheese monger, looking for cheese with caraway, a typical cheese for this area. Second is a view in the market area with a part of the Silver Cloud shown at the top left. Third is an island in the Helsinki harbor. Finally, here is a great shot of their famous cinnamon rolls.:

July2015A27_zps5tttnblg.jpg

July2015A25_zpsvdyhawtc.jpg

July2015A28_zpsskzrzqhx.jpg

July2015A26_zpsb8stht5u.jpg

Enjoyed your report from Warnemunde. We enjoyed our time walking all over this cute little resort town in 2013, especially the Warnow River. That wind you experienced is what makes Warnemunde so spectacular for regattas throughout the summer. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Also, nice to read your "call-out" of special staff. We enjoyed Kenneth's exemplary service at the Pool Grill on the voyage before yours.

Enjoy your sail through the Kiel Canal! It's fun when families come out of their houses to great the Cloud when she sails through.

Here is one picture this morning from Warnemunde while the Silver Cloud is there in Germany. I am sure there will be more visuals to share from this stop and the overall adventure.

Since we have never been to Warnemunde, here is a little quick background as we think about a future trip that might include this part of Germany and/or visiting Berlin. From Wikipedia, they note in part: Meaning literally "Mouth of the Warnow", it is a seaside resort and a district of the city of Rostock/ Located on the Baltic Sea, it was founded in about 1200. For centuries, it was a small fishing village with minor importance for the economic and cultural development. In 1323 Warnemünde lost its autonomous status as was purchased by Rostock in order to safeguard the city’s access to the Baltic Sea. It was not until the 19th century that Warnemünde began to develop into an important seaside resort. Today Warnemünde has approximately 8,400 inhabitants. Once completely dependent on the fishing industry, Warnemünde’s economic alignment has shifted. Besides the Nordic Yards Warnemünde ship yard, the economy largely depends on tourism. The construction of a modern cruise line center in 2005 has contributed crucially to Warnemünde’s establishment as the most important harbor for cruise line ships in Germany.

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. There have been over 11,101 views on this posting. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Here is the view from footbridge down the canal towards the ocean in Warnemunde.:

July2015A29_zpscohnr7gy.jpg

down the Kiel canal. The countryside is splendid, green, peaceful and the air is perfumed with the smells of countryside. We are going at a slow calm pace, barely making a ripple as we make our way to the North Sea. At times there are people on the banks of the canal, waving and taking photos. One cannot help but take their picture back as a reciprocal gesture of friendship. I must say that in Russia although we waved to many people as we sailed past, only a single person waved back. This experience is far different, we are bridging the water between us by our simple waving of hello.

We have passed by farms, beautiful country homes surrounded by manicured gardens filled with flowers. Tall pine forests, lush green hills with crops in rows, and everywhere the sounds of birds singing.

The weather is overcast, but the lack of sunlight and the cloudy conditions just makes the country look even more verdant. The water we are moving through is brownish green, at times we have seen swans, ducks and other water birds floating in the quiet water. The sides of the canal are rocky and lush marsh weeds are growing along its banks.

The water birds don't even seem bothered by the huge freighters that also share this water.

I awoke this morning about 4:30 am to make certain I could see the Cloud's entrance to the first lock. After being in the Panama Canal, this maneuver through the lock was low key, but still interesting. Only a few hardy souls joined me, as it was raining and chilly. As this is technically a sea day, many pax must have been sleeping in.

From my vantage point on the bow and port side, I was just above the Captain and the pilots who had come aboard to guide us through the canal. This allowed me to hear and see the commands given to the crew, a running commentary of sorts.

Since we are still in transit in the canal, I will come back to post later.

down the Kiel canal. The countryside is splendid, green, peaceful and the air is perfumed with the smells of countryside. We are going at a slow calm pace, barely making a ripple as we make our way to the North Sea. At times there are people on the banks of the canal, waving and taking photos. One cannot help but take their picture back as a reciprocal gesture of friendship. We have passed by farms, beautiful country homes surrounded by manicured gardens filled with flowers. Tall pine forests, lush green hills with crops in rows, and everywhere the sounds of birds singing. The weather is overcast, but the lack of sunlight and the cloudy conditions just makes the country look even more verdant. Since we are still in transit in the canal, I will come back to post later.

If you are lucky enough to have Joseph, Mark Anthony or Kenneth you are well taken care of. Actually they are all wonderful.

Appreciate the wonderful details from your sailing along the Kiel Canal in northern Germany. Your word descriptions are nice, but as they often say, a picture can be worth much more!! Just noticed as I write now that you are firing away by e-mail. Will be happy to upload and share those fun picture here very soon.

Looking forward to hearing more about your long day opportunities for Amsterdam/Netherlands. As I understand, you will be there from 9 am to 10 pm. What are your plans for there in that historic and charming city? Then, there will be the time on the ship on July 18 for London and being at the famed Tower Bridge.

Liked your nice mentions on the wonderful staff, including Joseph, Mark Anthony and Kenneth. Below is a nice picture of Joseph from our Silver Cloud sailing earlier this year. Am I matching up correctly this Joseph with the one on your ship now? Super loved Mark Anthony!! That's an easy name to remember, especially with his great personality. Not sure on Kenneth. Sometime my aged brain does not always connect/remember the right name and face in perfect order.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 111,231 views for this posting.

Right Joseph?? From our 26-day Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean adventure, here is Joseph giving great service to my wife in the Main Dining Room at breakfast. Nice to have a table overlooking the sea, plus getting wonderful personal service.:

July2015A30_zps5tcoun3t.jpg

Joseph is a great waiter, always with a big smile! Nice to see him again.

Spinnaker2, I see your picture poster is getting slow. Tell him to get cracking. We're eagerly awaiting visuals!

Yes that's the right Joseph. We know him from prior cruises. Peter is also aboard. We know him from the Spirit. Staff are great!

Great, Candy, to get this confirmation that I had connected correctly our Joseph and your current Joseph. And, being the same person!! As you could tell by the smile on my wife's face, she (and we) were very happy.

Here below are the first two of Candy's pictures this morning. More good and interesting visual by Candy from the Kiel Canal are to be posted soon.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,426 views for these postings.

From last night, here is the Silver Cloud leaving from Warnemunde. Great sunset view, right? Second is a closer view of their new lighthouse as the ship was departing Warnemunde. Notice the crowd watching as they are doing the ship was doing its sail-away?:

July2015A42_zpsnuib9gtd.jpg

July2015A41_zpsrjoxxkqz.jpg

Joseph is a great waiter, always with a big smile! Nice to see him again. Spinnaker2, I see your picture poster is getting slow. Tell him to get cracking. We're eagerly awaiting visuals!

Sorry, J.P., to be so slow, but I'm still needing to be doing some work. Had a couple of phone calls this morning that distracted and delayed me. One from a TV reporter with an interesting family background that I will share when time is available on the "Cooler" and then an attorney to discuss details on a legal case, plus reviewing some local politics. Got to keep working to pay the bills and fund future cruises/adventure trips. Glad that you and Chris enjoyed have Joseph as a Silver Cloud waiter, too!

Now the Kiel Canal!! We've not traveled it, so it is nice to see these visuals, learning about the folks along its route, etc. These pictures will be in two groups. Candy was nice enough to send a nice variety of visual samples.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 181,112 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First, here is one of the ships seen with students waving on the top deck of the MS Koi as it sailed along the Kiel Canal in Germany. Next are a variety of people taking pictures, bikers, birds (swans), cows, etc., watching and being a part of the "show" for this journey. Finally, a boat where its captain was taking a picture of the Silver Cloud!:

July2015A33_zpskxsgrrav.jpg

July2015A37_zpskvq39psz.jpg

July2015A32_zpslvjvsq8y.jpg

July2015A34_zpslyoznkxp.jpg

July2015A36_zpsgnrh7hin.jpg

July2015A35_zpsgsqenqbw.jpg