Silver Cloud Copenhagen to Tower Bridge July 7, voyage 1519

spinnaker2

Here are some more visuals from the Silver Cloud sailing through the Kiel Canal. For my background, here is a little of what I found out on this canal:

This 61-mile-long freshwater canal is in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein. The canal was finished in 1914 and links the North Sea to the Baltic Sea. An average of 250 miles are saved by using the Kiel Canal instead of going around the Jutland Peninsula. This also avoids potentially dangerous, storm-prone seas. Part of the canal was constructed while the area was ruled by Denmark-Norway. During the 19th century, after Schleswig-Holstein had come under the government of Prussia (after 1871, called the German Empire), a combination of naval interests wanted to link its bases in the Baltic and the North Sea without the need to sail around Denmark. The canal took over 9,000 workers eight years to build. Per Wikipedia, the maximum length for ships passing the Kiel Canal is 772.6 feet with the maximum width of 106.6 feet. These ships can have a draught of up to 7 meters or 22.97 feet.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 201,765 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a boat from New England that seems far, far away from its base U.S. location.:

July2015A31_zpsb42zept1.jpg

Here are three views as the Kiel Canal is being sailed. This includes one of the open fields/crops and a couple of dog-related shots. People walking their dogs, a border collie chasing its red ball. Interesting and varied sights along this waterway.:

July2015A40_zpskxohuako.jpg

July2015A39_zpsawcyvshx.jpg

July2015A38_zpspijnonjb.jpg

Here is a sampling of other ships sharing the last lock of the Kiel canal.:

July2015A43_zpsazua6pxv.jpg

Thanks so much Candy for the continuing outstanding Cloud on board reports--your writing style is wonderfully engaging & poetically succinct. And also thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures (and Terry for his masterful posting).

Thanks Terry for posting pictures, I must admit I feel defeated by the process. I am going to figure out why I can't do this task.

Also thanks Wes and Rachel.

I do believe you are right about the cat being the guard. I tried hard to get the cat hair in the photo, because I believe the cat has occupied that chair for some time, so good eye to see it! I actually asked the guard, sitting some distance away, and who was staring at the cat in a protective manner, if I could take a photo. Of course I had to pantomime it because I don't speak Russian but she indicated I could take a photo of the cat, and the animal never once blinked or moved. Hence the comments from people around me that it was a statue! Cats are smart, I am sure this one enjoyed being photographed, and kept the smug look on its face while being a witness to the throngs of tourists in the cathedral where all the czars are entombed. Probably its job is to keep the population of unwelcome visitors away at night when human presence is gone, and the cathedral is occupied by otherworldly specters, and scampering creatures.

Meant to report on Le Champagne briefly. I like the layout better in the Cloud. I also like that there are windows and the tables are not so close together. I think Victoria mentioned that some time ago in a post. The food is the same, menu hasn't really changed. Its consistently good and served well. We enjoyed a nice bottle of Far Niente chard which we didn't finish. They brought the remainder up to our suite and we finished it as we sailed away.

Last night was the crew parade and final comments of the Captain. Always a bittersweet time, as we realize the cruise is winding down.

Soon the dreaded packing begins.

At this very moment we are in the North Sea, having made really good time to Amsterdam. Since we are so early, we await the pilot boat and just are meandering in the choppy dark sea. The sun has risen, a pink ball of light on the horizon. The wind was whistling through the doors last night and with the accompanying sounds of the waves, made for pleasant sleeping.

We are supposed to be in port at 9 am. It's just about 6:30 now. I wonder how long we will be waiting...

We plan to see the rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum today. I am off to grab early risers coffee in the panorama.

Ciao for now.

Lovely to hear your daily reports. I can see you aree up at the moment!

If you are in a foody mood ..... in my view no visit to Amsterdam is complete without a risjsttafel. It would be a real shame to miss out although they are more difficult to come by at lunch time than in the evening. I say no visit complete, but you may recall I once managed to get such good value flights I took the family just for a day that was built round the meal. All the dishes that you see in the examples pasted below are for EACH table ie not a buffet.

Enjoy the rest of the trip especially The Tower .....

Jeff

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rijsttafel&biw=1024&bih=676&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI5obljLbhxgIVTLsUCh3UHwAh

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Interim update...

Thanks Jeff for food suggestion. El Larro is not a spicy food person. So likely will have to find another dish. He has been here before as he lived and went to school in Belgium. I have not been here, so he will have to endure seeing some things again.

We had an announcement from the Captain about an hour ago and due to some snafu our arrival is delayed by at least an hour.

As we first entered the harbor, we saw huge plants spewing smoke, bubbling like giant witches cauldrons sending their potions swirling skyward. After going through the lock, the view is slightly more pleasant to the eye, with farm land covered in the morning mist. Or maybe it's smog from industry. I am not sure, but everything looks as if a thin whitewash has been painted on it enough to make it blurry.

The air temperature is warm, although our newspaper's outlook says snow for Amsterdam today. Maybe that's what I am seeing outside, snow flurries.

Sorry about the delay .....

Shame about el Larry .... if you wished to give it a shot you can ask for the table to be served from spicey to non spicey left to right and he starts from one end and you the other. Or you could simply lie to him and say Jeff has reassured you there will be no spice. Blame me. Either way works.

:D

Jeff

Thanks Terry for posting pictures, I must admit I feel defeated by the process. I am going to figure out why I can't do this task.

Meant to report on Le Champagne briefly. I like the layout better in the Cloud. I also like that there are windows and the tables are not so close together. Soon the dreaded packing begins.

At this very moment we are in the North Sea, having made really good time to Amsterdam. We are supposed to be in port at 9 am. It's just about 6:30 now. I wonder how long we will be waiting...

We plan to see the rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum today.

Don't worry, Candy, on the challenges for uploading your pictures. Ready to do more from charming and interesting Amsterdam. Below is another from the Kiel Canal, plus a couple of others from my photo files to fit with what is noted above.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 111,300 views for this posting.

For this Kiel Canal sailing, here is one picture where Candy said onlookers were observing the Silver Cloud as it passed. To add more "excitement", however, I would claim this is the crowd assembled when the ship passengers were dancing topless on the ship. Sound good? Not true, but just wanted to see if folks were paying attention.:

July2015A44_zpsl56jcdwx.jpg

From our visit to the Rijksmuseum way back in December 1970, here is one of my pictures of the famous "Night Watch". This is how the 1642 painting by Rembrandt van Rijn looked at that time and was displayed prior to the famed "slashing" incident in 1975. It is officially called "Militia Company of District II under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq". This painting was done at the peak of the Dutch Golden Age and is considered as the best known painting in the Rijksmuseum collection. Beside its amazing drama over how the light is expressed in this artistic work, it is surprising for its large size. It is 11.91 feet by 14.34 feet or for the Euro types that means 363 cm × 437 cm. Did Candy see this famed work of art today?:

July2015A45_zps1lvprfnk.jpg

On Le Champagne's current set-up on the Silver Cloud, here is one of my Feb. 2015 pictures to show its current lay-out. For Candy, is this still how it looks now?:

July2015A46_zpsspj4tw5w.jpg

Interim update...

Thanks Jeff for food suggestion. El Larro is not a spicy food person. So likely will have to find another dish. He has been here before as he lived and went to school in Belgium. I have not been here, so he will have to endure seeing some things again.

We had an announcement from the Captain about an hour ago and due to some snafu our arrival is delayed by at least an hour.

As we first entered the harbor, we saw huge plants spewing smoke, bubbling like giant witches cauldrons sending their potions swirling skyward. After going through the lock, the view is slightly more pleasant to the eye, with farm land covered in the morning mist. Or maybe it's smog from industry. I am not sure, but everything looks as if a thin whitewash has been painted on it enough to make it blurry.

The air temperature is warm, although our newspaper's outlook says snow for Amsterdam today. Maybe that's what I am seeing outside, snow flurries.

hope you have a good sail into London tomorrow, it looks like it is going to be a sunny evening. I may come and wave as you arrive, it always fun to see Tower Bridge go up.

Rp

8861673C-0499-4994-B51A-A09FB7F8671D.jpg

Appreciate this super cool and interesting visual from Jeff. Am I correct in assuming that it was a live shot from Amsterdam's harbor??

Interesting to know how to find that kind of website and/or how many other ports in the world where they offer these types of visuals. Good work and great sharing!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 181,133 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

All on the ipad ....... and Cleveland ...

Appreciate Jeff's sharing. I got it to work, kind of and somewhat. Since my MacBook Pro is not a part of the Microsoft empire, things were not totally easy. Also, as Jeff displayed from them earlier, their satellite view was not totally "live", but having the ships marked in place to an earlier air visual of the area. Nice technology, however, with this website to show live position for where ships are location. In fact, kind of amazing!!!

Below are the first of some pictures just sent from Candy. Hope there will be lots more to come in the next few hours.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 52,989 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Below are two visuals just sent from Candy on the Silver Cloud. First was sunrise as they were approaching Amsterdam. Second, the entrance/gated areas as they were getting ready to enter the Rijksmuseum. Should be many more to come.:

July2015A47_zpsfpaaq3kw.jpg

July2015A48_zpscegfuwuq.jpg

On Le Champagne's current set-up on the Silver Cloud, here is one of my Feb. 2015 pictures to show its current lay-out. For Candy, is this still how it looks now?:

Yes Terry, this is how it still looks. I agree with spinnaker2 that the layout is nice.

Spinkins is almost home .....

Welcome to Blighty Spinkins! :D

ps Terry it is real time ie 2 minutes ago, but obviously the image is not a live satellite piccy but a satellite photo on which it is overlayed! It also keeps stock pictures of each ship .... 50 of Cloud including this one. You can see Spinkins waving ......:)

20C27D07-014C-418F-963A-33CEE10CAD94_1.jpg

D2B4077A-99C0-4CBB-92E4-25A56540C00C.png

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Mornin

It's almost 10 am. We are about To enter the river Thames.

Internet last night and most of yesterday was down.

The dreaded suitcases, well they are duffles, are out on the luggage racks.

Pilot just came aboard to bring us in.

Chilly but sunny.

Can see beaches?

We should be alongside about 5:15 pm.

Debating whether to get off at all, since our time is so limited.

Tomorrow we must be off by 8.

Mornin It's almost 10 am. We are about To enter the river Thames. Internet last night and most of yesterday was down. The dreaded suitcases, well they are duffles, are out on the luggage racks. Pilot just came aboard to bring us in. Chilly but sunny. Can see beaches? We should be alongside about 5:15 pm. Debating whether to get off at all, since our time is so limited. Tomorrow we must be off by 8.

Sorry, Candy, but I have to disagree strongly. Get off of the Silver Cloud and enjoy London this evening!! Super love the UK capital and all that it offers, including live theatre, world-class architecture and history, lots of nice food options, etc. Costly, but super worth it.

Below are six visuals that our traveler just sent to sample from the famed Rijksmuseum. More to come from Amsterdam.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,449 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From the Rijksmuseum, YES, they still have lots of the top favorites and super stars there. First, is a wonderful live flower display. Then we have Vermeer's Milkmaid, Rembrandt's Jewish Bride, the super famed Night Watch by Rembrandt, Van Dyck's William Prince of Orange and his super young bride of Mary Stuart and finally, this Utrecht still life. Excellent camera work by Candy to capture these famed paintings, etc.:

July2015A58_zpsspqk018r.jpg

July2015A57_zpslfr1go3g.jpg

July2015A56_zpskb0z9s8c.jpg

July2015A55_zps6zjk2ghe.jpg

July2015A50_zpszuqdvknu.jpg

July2015A54_zpsrszwjyxw.jpg

Here is the second batch of visuals from Candy while in Amsterdam. A couple of the pictures came through via e-mail a little smaller and not quite as good technically. But, you get the idea from this wonderful city.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 25,601 views for these postings.

From Amsterdam, here is flower display, but these came from Turkey, not Holland. There lots of bikes around in Amsterdam, but this second photo shows a super small car fitting into a spot designed for the two-wheelers. Third is a bridge, local town scene. Finally, here is the view while departing from their busy harbor area.:

July2015A53_zpsjgisanlv.jpg

July2015A52_zpscvpzhusf.jpg

July2015A51_zpsw3cx4uab.jpg

July2015A49_zpslynq5qos.jpg

Sailin under tower bridge with music blaring and to throngs of people cheering was just breathtaking.

Internet has been down. No reason for this issue.

The face to face inspection from onshore authorities has been delayed. All with theatre tickets and dinner reservations are furious. We can not get off the ship.

This isn't even Russia.

Sorry about the smaller photos last night, but that's the only way I could get them to go.

We are moored next to battleship. Kind of creepy in my opinion, but I suppos very safe. Guns are not pointed at our suite.

Sailin under tower bridge with music blaring and to throngs of people cheering was just breathtaking. Internet has been down. No reason for this issue. The face to face inspection from onshore authorities has been delayed. All with theatre tickets and dinner reservations are furious. We can not get off the ship. This isn't even Russia. Sorry about the smaller photos last night, but that's the only way I could get them to go. We are moored next to battleship. Kind of creepy in my opinion, but I suppos very safe. Guns are not pointed at our suite.

Great to hear that you have arrived, BUT, sorry on the delays for getting off of the ship. Good luck! Keep taking pictures!!! Can share and upload more when handy.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 111,353 views for this posting.

I second Terry's comments - if at all possible, get off the boat, even for a little while. Would be sad to be docked in London and not get out and enjoy it!

That said, the Tower pier can be a pain. I wish they'd just let you walk aboard from the HMS Belfast, instead of boarding a tender on the opposite bank. Takes lots of time!

Hope the face-to-face inspection has gone quickly and you're able to enjoy a few hours out on the town. Thanks for taking us along on this journey!

JP &ChrisAgree the procedure at Tower Bridge detracts from the wonderful sail in or out.The Port of London authority stipulate the conditions and receive a substantial payment from SS for the privelage of sailing under the bridge.Agree would be much easier to board and disembark from the South Bank but sadly not possible.Sorry to hear of increased security interfering with planned theatre visits.A result of the recent increase in the terrorist threat level for the UK.

I do so hope that they have released Spins from her and Larrys imprisonment in The Tower ....! Bad things happen to people who are imprisoned there .... all I'll say is "The Block".......;)

Yes, agree on the concern for Candy as expressed above by Jeff on the "Cooler" thread on this CC SS Board. Have not heard anything additional from her for being able to get off of the Silver Cloud, see London, etc. Hopefully, we will hear more later today. Plus, sharing more nice visuals, etc.

Maybe at Heathrow while awaiting their flight out, we will hear more.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 111,388 views for this posting.