HAL reply-sandals at Mariner lunch

Nanner

If they sent me an invite to lunch and told me sandals weren't OK, I'd show up barefooted because all I wear on cruises are sandals.

Can't fathom the dufus who made up that line on the invitation.

Had another cruiser told me that my sandals weren't acceptable, well, she would have regretted it--immediately.

I think a loudly declared, "Don't you have anything better to do than act as the shoe police?!" might have quickly diverted the attention to my shoes and back to her rude and socially inappropriate behavior.

Now, if I had toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my sandal, it might have been another matter...............

I'm with you. Sandals are what I have to wear other than a really ugly pair of orthopedic shoes.

I have wished I'd said that to a very priggy lady on our last X cruise who felt it her duty to lecture my husband on the first night of our cruise. We had no luggage....I was beginning to think they'd lost it...until after dinnertime.

I'm with you. Sandals are what I have to wear other than a really ugly pair of orthopedic shoes.

I have wished I'd said that to a very priggy lady on our last X cruise who felt it her duty to lecture my husband on the first night of our cruise. We had no luggage....I was beginning to think they'd lost it...until after dinnertime.

HokiePoq, As I mentioned on another thread, I've had multiple foot surgeries and wear very conservative sandals with my dressy outfits in the MDR at night. Solid black crocodiles, solid white, totally unobtrusive. No one has ever mentioned it in almost 400 days at sea! One night I looked carefully after dinner, sitting listening to Adagio, and took note of what other women were wearing. I can't tell you how many Naturalizer and Easy Spirit sandals were being worn. There us another advantage to wearing such sandals. They give stability in rough weather short of wearing sneakers! I've been to so many Mariner Luncheons. Seems to me, people attending are not "scruffy," nor are they dressed as they would in the MDR at dinner, but definitely a step up from tank top and shorts. Smart casual does not mean no sandals. How rude of that woman to make that remark.

Me too.....received a Microsoft spoof email saying Windows Network Defender needed attention.....all xxx-xxx-xxx for a live technician. Sure I will......when hell freezes over. Do not respond to this email - PLEASE. You'll only get ripped off and your data may in fact be hacked. Just as a precaution, I'm running my malware software and an extra computer virus scan before I do anything more than click send on this note.

I clicked on the link provided and a window opened up and said a virus was installed on my computer. I closed windows and am now running security scan.

I got the same thing this morning when I clicked on a link to Cruise Critic from a daily Roll Call summary email. Shut down and ran virus scan and am OK.

HokiePoq, As I mentioned on another thread, I've had multiple foot surgeries and wear very conservative sandals with my dressy outfits in the MDR at night. Solid black crocodiles, solid white, totally unobtrusive. No one has ever mentioned it in almost 400 days at sea! One night I looked carefully after dinner, sitting listening to Adagio, and took note of what other women were wearing. I can't tell you how many Naturalizer and Easy Spirit sandals were being worn. There us another advantage to wearing such sandals. They give stability in rough weather short of wearing sneakers! I've been to so many Mariner Luncheons. Seems to me, people attending are not "scruffy," nor are they dressed as they would in the MDR at dinner, but definitely a step up from tank top and shorts. Smart casual does not mean no sandals. How rude of that woman to make that remark.

Yes! I, too, have had multiple foot surgeries and high heels are things of the past I think you are right about many people...we wear the nicest things we can wear.

that happens sometimes with CC - I don't know why but it has with me as well. I think It's a fake warning myself. cruisemom42 gave a CC link that is a legit thread so it should have been safe.

You should be fine except now you have the aggravation of another virus scan.

I am getting a message from Norton (didn't click on that link) when I close CC. It says Norton has stopped an attack by "web scan" and has a number with it which I can't recall. Not sure what is going on here.

Me too.....received a Microsoft spoof email saying Windows Network Defender needed attention.....all xxx-xxx-xxx for a live technician. Sure I will......when hell freezes over. Do not respond to this email - PLEASE. You'll only get ripped off and your data may in fact be hacked. Just as a precaution, I'm running my malware software and an extra computer virus scan before I do anything more than click send on this note.

I also got the call whatever the telephone number was. I had to shut down my computer to get rid of the message. When I rebooted, I immediately ran scans and all was clean.

I'm curious. I'll have to give it a shot. Was it the link in this thread? I'm using Tapatalk on my phone now, so the pages are rendered in a different way from a PC browser.

Also, is everyone that's getting this message on a PC using Internet Explorer?

I recall that several years ago when we were on Celebrity there was talk on Cruise Critic that ladies were not to wear open toed shoes to some cocktail party for past passengers, I believe it was. Don't remember if it was enforced but I do remember that there was often someone at the door at such functions and a man in shorts was turned away at an afternoon wine tasting for past passengers.

I'm curious. I'll have to give it a shot. Was it the link in this thread? I'm using Tapatalk on my phone now, so the pages are rendered in a different way from a PC browser.

I'm not sure that it's only a link in this thread. CC is not a secure site. Yes, I was using IE on a PC. My husband (who works for Microsoft), told me to get the he-- out of IE, and only use Chrome, with ad blocker plus installed.

I'm not sure that it's only a link in this thread. CC is not a secure site. Yes, I was using IE on a PC. My husband (who works for Microsoft), told me to get the he-- out of IE, and only use Chrome, with ad blocker plus installed.

I couldn't get anything to alarm on my computer. I tried a bunch of different links. Oh well.

I couldn't get anything to alarm on my computer. I tried a bunch of different links. Oh well.

My husband couldn't either. If I understand him correctly, it is programmed by hackers to come in through the ads in a totally random manner.

"I was a bit, well, given a comeuppance at the Mariners lunch/brunch on our last cruise. I have some rather nice looking sandals. They are flats, but are Naturalizer, nubuck, with straps around the ankle and across the ball of the foot. Well, I showed up for the Mariner brunch in my "dress casual", and one of the tablemates announced that sandals were not acceptable attire.

I wear these sandals to MDR dinner most non-formal nights, when in warmer climes, and nobody has ever questioned it. When I returned to my room, I checked the invitation. Sure enough, it said no shorts or sandals. NOT flip flops, folks. Sandals. This was on a Caribbean cruise, where all I had were my sneakers, sandals and dress low heels..."

So I emailed HAL asking for a clarification of whether sandals were now forbidden at the Mariners LUNCH.

Thank you, Nanner.

So the issue is as much the surprise dress code request (no sandals) which is not in step with other ships and doesn't work for many, and the HAL rep's tangential response to you email, as it is some pax pointing out the dress code (who I believe you said- in a non-rude way).

Hope HAL gets that fixed (on the ship and with their Rep who didn't read or understand the email).

I also got the call whatever the telephone number was. I had to shut down my computer to get rid of the message. When I rebooted, I immediately ran scans and all was clean.

I'm getting it too.. Last night of Cruise Critic got a womans voice telling me to call this number immediately as they have detected a virus or malware.. Also had three pop ups on my P.C. showing malware..I did a virus scan & nothing came up...It happened again just now, this time when I was on the tipping guide which Cruise Critic has on their web site & went back to the Main HAL board.. I had to do a CTRL/AlterNet delete to get out of that notice & then shut down my PC....

Yes I'm using IE but don't know how to get chrome.. I'm not very good on computers so, guess I should call my computer tech & ask him to look over my computer if I can't get out of IE..

Can someone guide me on how to get out of Internet Explorer.. :eek:

I'm signing off for about a half hour now to do another virus scan..

The pop up saying you have a virus IS the virus / scam.

Thanks, but have other questions: How can I get this scam off my computer.. I hit the X (to close) in the top right corner of these pop-ups but that doesn't work.. Only thing that works is CTRL/ALT/delete..Then the computer goes to shut down..

I was also in the middle of printing the info about tipping which I placed on my word program & went back on Cruise Critic to see what else was new when this happened..

Are you saying I don't have to call my computer man? Also do you know how I can get out of Internet Explorer & use Chrome instead?

Thanks to anyone who can help me..

Regards from: The Computer Dummie

Maybe it was a man in sandals or in crocs.....saw a man in crocs all the time....YUK! Hate those things!! (I don't know the story behind this thread.)

Sometimes people are on a cruise after having some kind of foot surgery and can't wear "regular" shoes for a time.

I wonder if people get upset when they see guys coming into the dining room and don't take off their ball caps?

I've seen that more than twice.

Thanks, but have other questions: How can I get this scam off my computer.. I hit the X (to close) in the top right corner of these pop-ups but that doesn't work.. Only thing that works is CTRL/ALT/delete..Then the computer goes to shut down..

I was also in the middle of printing the info about tipping which I placed on my word program & went back on Cruise Critic to see what else was new when this happened..

Are you saying I don't have to call my computer man? Also do you know how I can get out of Internet Explorer & use Chrome instead?

Thanks to anyone who can help me..

Regards from: The Computer Dummie

go to Google & do a search "How to install Google Chrome" -- the program download (free) is the first thing that pops up, below that are a couple of helpful links from Google Chrome Help on how to install & use it.

I'm getting it too.. Last night of Cruise Critic got a womans voice telling me to call this number immediately as they have detected a virus or malware.. Also had three pop ups on my P.C. showing malware..I did a virus scan & nothing came up...It happened again just now, this time when I was on the tipping guide which Cruise Critic has on their web site & went back to the Main HAL board.. I had to do a CTRL/AlterNet delete to get out of that notice & then shut down my PC....

Yes I'm using IE but don't know how to get chrome.. I'm not very good on computers so, guess I should call my computer tech & ask him to look over my computer if I can't get out of IE..

Can someone guide me on how to get out of Internet Explorer.. :eek:

I'm signing off for about a half hour now to do another virus scan..

If I were you, I would use Safari before I would touch Chrome. It caused nothing but problems for my computer and once you have Chrome, it takes a ton of time to get rid of it. I use Safari on all of my i devices but ie on my Dell. Even though I get these messages on occasion, I just cntrl/alt/delete and close that window down. Firefox is also a good alternative if you're still on the lookout for an option out of ie. Others may have different opinions but this has been my experience and I've been programming for years and teaching computing for a few more......

If I were you, I would use Safari before I would touch Chrome. It caused nothing but problems for my computer and once you have Chrome, it takes a ton of time to get rid of it. I use Safari on all of my i devices but ie on my Dell. Even though I get these messages on occasion, I just cntrl/alt/delete and close that window down. Firefox is also a good alternative if you're still on the lookout for an option out of ie. Others may have different opinions but this has been my experience and I've been programming for years and teaching computing for a few more......

Not going to disagree with you because I am no techie. But I've had firefox on my desk computer, and Chrome on my devices because I had issues with Safari, and so far so good with them. I find anything better to use than IE!

I have worn 'dress sandals' :) to Mariners Brunch any number of times. I cannot imagine what problem anyone would have with a lady wearing a strappy shoe when in the Caribbean. :)

i agree. i think all we need to ask ourselves is 'would i wear this to a nice lunch or dinner with the girls'. if the answer is yes, go for it. if the answer is questionable, change... it is just for an hour anyway, right?