Is a portable steamer allowed?

Secoh

I have know passengers take them on board and have no issues over them.

When, you think of it Electric curling irons are allowed so why would you not be allowed a steamer. has anyone actually been told no by Carnival? Maybe worth while calling Carnival and asking them.

From the Carnival Website's FAQS

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

Prohibited Items

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee).

Thanks for clearing that up. :confused:

Would love to know why curling irons allowed.

Because some ladies would scream, holler, and kick up a fuss if they weren't allowed. Unlike flat irons, they can't be stashed in the laundry room, and Guest Services is highly unlikely to have any spares available.

So what you are saying is because women would be upset if they were not allowed to have them that is why they are allowed although they are a higher risk. It seems to me the reason they are not allowed is because the cruise lines would rather you paid them to press the clothing for you, just another way of making money. Just like not bringing booze on board. They want you to buy it from them. In my eyes that is the real reason behind not bring steamers on. A steamer in use that runs out of water will unlikely start a fire but a curling iron can. Seems to me the wool is being pulled over a lot of eyes like I said I know people who have taken them on and not a word was said to them. It's all about $$$$

I have a borrowed steamer (need to return that) that really doesn't work that well, so I never tried to take it on a cruise - don't have room in the luggage anyway. I've gotten to where I don't worry about wrinkles - I unpack & put away clothes as soon as I get to my cabin (always carry my own luggage on board). More & more I am taking clothes that are a fabric that doesn't wrinkle easily or have enough of a pattern that wrinkles won't show so badly. We have gone to the laundry to iron a few items in the past. Shorts & t-shirts may be a little wrinkled, but I just don't worry about those.

So what you are saying is because women would be upset if they were not allowed to have them that is why they are allowed although they are a higher risk. It seems to me the reason they are not allowed is because the cruise lines would rather you paid them to press the clothing for you, just another way of making money. Just like not bringing booze on board. They want you to buy it from them. In my eyes that is the real reason behind not bring steamers on. A steamer in use that runs out of water will unlikely start a fire but a curling iron can. Seems to me the wool is being pulled over a lot of eyes like I said I know people who have taken them on and not a word was said to them. It's all about $$$$

Whatever the reason is doesn't matter. The rules are the rules and until Carnival changes them, that's the way it is. Bring one onboard and you run the risk of having it confiscated plain and simple. BTW the irons in the laundry room located on every floor of guest cabins are 100% free of charge. So that conspiracy theory really doesn't stick with me. But whatever.

I guess I don't understand the anger in your post regarding Carnival's making money. I don't doubt that is the reason, but if I pack my clothes correctly, my all cotton clothes aren't wrinkled, so Carnival isn't getting money from me.

All the little things that cruisers pay extra for keep the prices for the cruises lower, and that works for me. Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought Carnival is a for profit company and not a charitable enterprise.

If you are traveling in the Caribbean it is usually so humid that 5 minutes on deck or on your balcony and wrinkles are no more. Otherwise just pack using plastic bags between clothes and, ah ha, no wrinkles.

Oh...and just for clarification it may be that steamers, irons, etc. are huge users of electricity and put an instant drain on the supply. Curling irons, not so much.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Would love to know why curling irons allowed. I would think they would be a higher risk than a clothes steamer.

As stated in faqs, an alternative is offered i.e. Land ry facilities with iron. There is no way they could Pprovide all the different sizes and styles of curling wanpds for the ladies on board thus they allow them.

They have self serve laundromats for small fee like all laundromats. Irons are free, at least they were last time I used them.

If the cruise lines thought they could get away with prohibiting hair care appliances, they would. Any appliance with a heating element is a potential fire source. Steamers, irons, coffee makers, and other appliances with "auto off" features are not reliable. If you read the UL approvals for any of these appliances, they state that the appliance should be unplugged when not in use, meaning they don't vouch for the reliability when unattended (relying on the auto-off). While steamers don't have exposed hot surfaces like curling irons, the heating element is sufficient to melt the plastic of the steamer if the auto-off switch fails, and this melting can then expose the element, or cause the steamer itself or adjacent material to ignite.

As others have said, the irons are available in the self-service laundry, but these are hard wired in so that they cannot be taken elsewhere, they are inspected by the crew routinely, and will also have timers added to the ship's wiring in addition to auto-off features.

Some cruise lines provide an iron on request in your cabin (NCL), and some provide coffee makers in cabin. All of these appliances are inspected by the crew routinely, and also taken out of service routinely for testing.

I can remember when a coffee maker that was in the electrician's shop for testing (and this is the same thing as a clothes steamer). It was left on when unattended, and went up in flames one afternoon.