Even after reading lots of topics - I am still confused - tipping in a suite....

Imalismom

Harriet or anyone else, can you please direct me to where it is explained who is in on the DSC and who isn't? I would find that very helpful for future cruises.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

There ya go!

Harriet

This is the first time I will be sailing solo as I lost my DH last year. I don't know if I am expected to tip double though I will be alone in the Suite. Any thoughts?

No, you don't have to tip double. I travel solo all the time and have never tipped double.

Im trying to figure this out, myself.

We'll be in a family suite, and $40/day for the butler and $20/day for the concierge seems a bit much, but if we use them extensively, maybe not. about $300 for butler, $150 for concierge, plus $150 for kids club and then some amount for Cagneys and courtyard attendant, along with bartenders, etc? so...bring along an additional 1k for tips? On top of the 9k pricetag for the room itself? I guess its reasonable.

Frankly that seems like a lot! We are in a Haven 2 bedroom. I paid the gratuities on line as they were the old rate, and will tip the butler based on what he does. I will see about the concierge as have booked everything online myself.

I'm going to be a solo in a Penthouse on Dawn.

Should I double the tips over and above the DSC seeing I have to pay double the fare?

Find a friend and split the tip. HELL take me and I'll pony up for ALL the tips. :)

Sail...Our son is a solo cruiser in PH or OS and has always tipped according to the service he has receive and not on a predetermined amount (I can tell you he is very generous). You should tip on your degree of satisfaction with services rendered. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the service, speak with the HD to resolve sues/concerns while on board. The HD's on NCL are very accessible....

Absolutely not. You are only one person. Tip accordingly.

NLH Arizona

No, you don't have to tip double. I travel solo all the time and have never tipped double.

Really appreciate these comments. My DH (and I) always tipped generously on HAL ships/Suites but I wasn't sure if seeing solo have to pay double fare, they are expected to tip double.

Wish me luck...... my first cruise as a solo and first on NCL but I am sailing with friends who have a nearby suite. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Find a friend and split the tip. HELL take me and I'll pony up for ALL the tips. :)

:D :D Nice offer but I regret I must decline. :)

I'm not good sharing a bathroom but with family. :o

Really appreciate these comments. My DH (and I) always tipped generously on HAL ships/Suites but I wasn't sure if seeing solo have to pay double fare, they are expected to tip double.

Wish me luck...... my first cruise as a solo and first on NCL but I am sailing with friends who have a nearby suite. :)

I was a little nervous about my first solo cruise last year, but it was wonderful! I've always cruised with family, but my DD couldn't go with me so I decided to go on my own and I'm so glad I did! You're one step ahead because you'll have friends on the ship. But, I found it didn't matter. Other passengers engaged me in conversation--I assume it's because I was alone--and it was so nice to meet people from all over the world. I spent time with members of my roll call and totally enjoyed that.

So, I understand your nervousness, but I'll be you'll have a great time!

Best wishes!

Hey, you will do great. Please let us know how everything went when you return home from your cruise.

I was a little nervous about my first solo cruise last year, but it was wonderful! I've always cruised with family, but my DD couldn't go with me so I decided to go on my own and I'm so glad I did! You're one step ahead because you'll have friends on the ship. But, I found it didn't matter. Other passengers engaged me in conversation--I assume it's because I was alone--and it was so nice to meet people from all over the world. I spent time with members of my roll call and totally enjoyed that.

So, I understand your nervousness, but I'll be you'll have a great time!

Best wishes!

Hey, you will do great. Please let us know how everything went when you return home from your cruise.

Two Thumps Up and many thanks. :)

This is the first time I will be sailing solo as I lost my DH last year. I don't know if I am expected to tip double though I will be alone in the Suite. Any thoughts?

You tip for the number of people there, not the number of people who could potentially be there.

Sorry to jump into the whole fray about the DSC, but if the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC, why is the DSC for suites more? I know it's only $2pppd, but for an 11-day cruise for 7, that's $154, which is about what one might tip for very light usage of a butler and/or concierge.

Sorry to jump into the whole fray about the DSC, but if the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC, why is the DSC for suites more? I know it's only $2pppd, but for an 11-day cruise for 7, that's $154, which is about what one might tip for very light usage of a butler and/or concierge.

It is more because the steward has a lot more cabin space and often multiple bathrooms to take care of in a suite.

It is more because the steward has a lot more cabin space and often multiple bathrooms to take care of in a suite.

Okay, that explains it. I am exploring the idea of trying the lowest level suite, but with the extra DSC, extra gratuities, and room service fees, it's a stretch.

Okay, that explains it. I am exploring the idea of trying the lowest level suite, but with the extra DSC, extra gratuities, and room service fees, it's a stretch.

Good news: If you are booked in a full suite there are no room service fees. Your butler brings your order so that is in your tip

To him or her.

Good news: If you are booked in a full suite there are no room service fees. Your butler brings your order so that is in your tip to him or her.

Unless it is from a specialty restaurant and you do not have UDP.

Good news: If you are booked in a full suite there are no room service fees. Your butler brings your order so that is in your tip

To him or her.

I haven't kept totally up to date on this. I looked at the NCL site and it only says Haven are excluded from the room service charge, so I thought suite passengers had to pay the fee.

The DSC covers your room steward, your servers in the complementary food areas, those cleaning the tables inside as well as outside by the pool and other behind the scene people. The extra $2.00 pp If you were to give that to the butler and concierge for an 11 night cruise for two people would amount to a total of $44.00. I don't know how you would split that between the two but I think they deserve much more than that.

i believe, to answer your question, that the additional $2.00 pp is because the suites are larger, some consisting of 2 bedrooms and other of 3 bedrooms....and some with two bathrooms and others with three bathrooms consisting of showers and bathtubes. It takes the room steward more time to clean those, make the beds, etc. then it does a non-suite.

Harriet

If you're in even the lowest level suite there will be no room service fees. Your butler will take care of room service, and you'll tip him/her at the end.

Harriet

Unless it is from a specialty restaurant and you do not have UDP.

Even then there is no room service fee, the butler will still bring them their food. They'll just have to pay the specialty restaurant's charge.....unless, like you said, they have the UDP.

Harriet

I haven't kept totally up to date on this. I looked at the NCL site and it only says Haven are excluded from the room service charge, so I thought suite passengers had to pay the fee.

No, some ships only have Haven but it includes both Haven and Suites.

Remember....a mini suite is NOT considered a suite according to NCL so no perks come with that.

Harriet

No, some ships only have Haven but it includes both Haven and Suites.

Remember....a mini suite is NOT considered a suite according to NCL so no perks come with that.

Harriet

I am unsure of your answer. Recently (March) we were charged the DSC in a suite. The Star did not have a Haven. Our upcoming cruise includes pre-paid DSC and once again we are staying in an aft-penthpuse suite. The Jade does have a Haven. Full suites are still paying DSC. At least we are and hopefully we are not the only ones paying :)

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

I am unsure of your answer. Recently (March) we were charged the DSC in a suite. The Star did not have a Haven. Our upcoming cruise includes pre-paid DSC and once again we are staying in an aft-penthpuse suite. The Jade does have a Haven. Full suites are still paying DSC. At least we are and hopefully we are not the only ones paying :)

They're talking about room service charges and not the DSC.

I was replying to an OP that posted this: I haven't kept totally up to date on this. I looked at the NCL site and it only says Haven are excluded from the room service charge, so I thought suite passengers had to pay the fee.

I was trying to explain that some ships only have the Haven but other ships have both and both Haven and Suites don't have to pay for Room Service as their Butler takes care of that.

Oh, and all suites and/or Haven pay DSC which is a bit higher then the other cabins that also pay DSC.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Even then there is no room service fee, the butler will still bring them their food. They'll just have to pay the specialty restaurant's charge.....unless, like you said, they have the UDP.

Harriet

yes, I knew what I meant to say but you said it better. Thanks. Edited by DMH15