Where to stay for the Miracle?

burtie

Will be flying into LA the day before and am looking for some information on good places to stay that night. Will be cruising out of Long Beach. Interested in info for travel from LAX to hotel and hotel to ship.

Thanks much

Burtie

Lots of info on the West Coast board.

LAX to Long Beach Taxi will run about $75, shared shuttle $17/pp, black car about $60.

Back to LAX-taxi is $68 flat, easy to grab a shared shuttle @ $17/pp.

Will be flying into LA the day before and am looking for some information on good places to stay that night. Will be cruising out of Long Beach. Interested in info for travel from LAX to hotel and hotel to ship.

Thanks much

Burtie

We stayed at The Kearney Hotel, was cheep and cheerful more of a motel, but with amazing painted cloud sky ceilings and a black light night light (really brave in a hotel and it showed that the rooms were spotless) that after dark lit up the ceilings with stars and birds. There was a donut shop in walking distance and fast food. We had a car so drove the 3 miles to Tommy Burgers as DH misses them.

We stayed at Embassy Suites North at LAX. Free shuttle to and from airport. We also rode the $5 shuttle to Manhatten Beach for dinner and sightseeing. Took the Carnival shuttle from airport to Long Beach and back tio airport after cruise. The hotel was very nice with a great breakfast.

Last Dec stayed at the Queen Mary hotel and liked it. Nice to see what cruising was like 75 years ago.

Took the super shuttle both ways from the airport.

Just curious: did you walk from the QM to the Carnival terminal? I know it doesn't appear very far on the map and it seems walkable (depending on luggage).

Edited by joepeka

Last Dec stayed at the Queen Mary hotel and liked it. Nice to see what cruising was like 75 years ago.

Took the super shuttle both ways from the airport.

This...

We took the 15 Hawaii cruise in January and did the exact same thing mentioned above.

Another perk of staying at the Queen Mary is that you're within walking distance of the Miracle when it docks. On our day of embarkation, all we had to do was call the front desk and they had our bags picked up from our room on the Queen Mary and transported them over to the Miracle...which made for a very easy transition from our 'hotel' to cruise ship.

Garnett

This...

We took the 15 Hawaii cruise in January and did the exact same thing mentioned above.

Another perk of staying at the Queen Mary is that you're within walking distance of the Miracle when it docks. On our day of embarkation, all we had to do was call the front desk and they had our bags picked up from our room on the Queen Mary and transported them over to the Miracle...which made for a very easy transition from our 'hotel' to cruise ship.

Garnett

You answered my question above. Thanks! :)

Just curious: did you walk from the QM to the Carnival terminal? I know it doesn't appear very far on the map and it seems walkable (depending on luggage).

They're docked perpendicular to each other.

We have stayed at the Queen Mary several times before a cruise. Love it. There is a free shuttle stop right in front of the Queen. It will take you to the Aquarium, several restaurants and shopping.

We have used "last minute travel club dot com" and have booked the Queen for around $110 per night.

This...

Garnett

They didnt let us know they would do that.

We have stayed at the Queen Mary several times before a cruise. Love it. There is a free shuttle stop right in front of the Queen. It will take you to the Aquarium, several restaurants and shopping.

We have used "last minute travel club dot com" and have booked the Queen for around $110 per night.

It takes you around long beach. Took it to a grocery store for wine and than another stop at a restaurant for dinner prior to taking it back to the hotel.

We stayed at Hyatt the Pike. Nice hotel, great location - right in the center of everything. The aquarium, Shoreline Village, and several restaurants, all within walking distance. There is also a rooftop pool deck with a view of the pier, where you can see the Miracle docked in the morning.

Edited by HawksFan74

We loved the Hotel Maya! It's great to arrive after a long flight and have good customer service and a warmed chocolate chip cookie!Try to get a room on the top floor. High ceilings and great views! It was just a quick walk over to the Miracle in the morning (although they did have a free shuttle that could take you over)

ImageUploadedByForums1436158932.703596.jpg.dfe67593232744348d8aa5e7965a7871.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1436158950.090892.jpg.b3f91706e9d3edef57e90a7313bcc94f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1436158965.125233.jpg.4beeb3b8c02688724e34a97f1f4f9dab.jpg

We stayed at The Kearney Hotel, was cheep and cheerful more of a motel, but with amazing painted cloud sky ceilings and a black light night light (really brave in a hotel and it showed that the rooms were spotless) that after dark lit up the ceilings with stars and birds. There was a donut shop in walking distance and fast food. We had a car so drove the 3 miles to Tommy Burgers as DH misses them.

I haven't heard of this place, but you need to be careful when booking hotels in Long Beach -- make sure to avoid the industrial area of LB. And cheap often means a dicey hotel in a dicey location.

We stayed at Embassy Suites North at LAX. Free shuttle to and from airport. We also rode the $5 shuttle to Manhatten Beach for dinner and sightseeing. Took the Carnival shuttle from airport to Long Beach and back tio airport after cruise. The hotel was very nice with a great breakfast.

Why not stay in Long Beach rather than by the airport? The airport is not in a good area (think strip mall in a literal sense).

We had to fly in to LAX using our frequent flyer miles. Since we were there, we wanted to see Manhatten Beach and surrounding area since my husband is a surfer. Glad we did. We really enjoyed walking around the beach area and love staying at Embassy Suites.

I haven't heard of this place' date=' but you need to be careful when booking hotels in Long Beach -- make sure to avoid the industrial area of LB. And cheap often means a dicey hotel in a dicey location.[/color']

I agree with Cruisin' Chick. North Long Beach is not a good neighborhood.

The Hotel Maya by Doubletree

I vote Maya as well, great hotel close to the ship and if you call the Maya directly, they have cruise rates that include a shuttle over to the ship. Starts around $130ish. I stay there every time I'm in Long Beach.

Edited by vwrestler171

Thanks everyone for the info.

Cruisn Chick and Rosefloater--can you tell me exactly where the not so nice locations would be. All I have is a map to look at as I the last time I was in Long Beach was about 50 years ago when I was in the service. Any Ideas which hotels might have a shuttle to the ship and/or the airport. What are you thoughts about flying into Long Beach instead of LAX. Looks like Delta goes there.

Thanks for your help and info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burtie

Long Beach is a nice little airport. Close to the port of Long Beach. It's especially good if you're flying on JetBlue. For comparison flat rate taxi fare from port to LAX is $68. Port to LGB is $38.

No hotels will have shuttles to both airport and hotel.

The Maya and the Queen Mary are the closest. Queen Mary is a two minute walk to the Dome, no shuttle needed.

Also look at The Renaissance and Hyatt at the Pike. Call to confirm if they have shuttles to the pier. I know the Maya does.

The Maya and the Queen Mary are on the free Passport bus route.

Search for Bruin Steve's list of Long Beach hotels

Edited by SadieN