HAL to Cuba?

wander

Restrictions? Absolutely NOT. We did not encounter any during our last visit.

Several years ago we did an all inclusive to Veradero from Canada.

Prior to going, via Tripadvisor Cuba forum, we arranged for a B&B in Havana for one night plus a guide for the afternoon.

We left our hotel in the AM, took a cab to the Viatur (It think) bus station in Veradero, and hopped on the bus to Havana...along with the locals.

An hour and a half or so later we got off the bus in Veradero. Our guide met us, took us to the B&B, and then spent 4 /1/2 hours giving us a guided tour(walking) of Havana. We were on our own for dinner. Spent the evening wandering around. Toured by ourselves again in the AM, and then took the late afternoon bus back to Veradero.

No issues whatsoever. We plan to do it again if we go to Veradero. We especially want to visit the cemetery. Our guide was very good. He had previously worked at the Cuban delegation to the UN and spoke perfect English.

We had ZERO restrictions.

Edited by iancal

Pretty sure the moderators will combine the 3 threads very quickly

The US Business Sector has been in the planning process for this to happen for the past few years in partnership with the Gov of both the United States & Cuba....every major sector has a game plan...the major cruiselines know exactly how to implement their master plan

Making $$$$ trumps political posturing

I had lived in Cuba un 1946-48 and went to an Englsih-speaking school there (Ruston Academy) and would like very much to visit Cuba and see what has changed since then.

However, I would like to go when there are no restrictions such as the people-to-people, cultural or religious or music, selections. Any of those types would restrict you from going to Varadero Beach (sp?) for example. While Canadian trips may fly you on to Varadero, getting to Havana from there gets too restrictive.

Are you talking about US citizens? Canadians just hop a local bus and go to Havana on their own or take a tour from their hotel.

You can cruise to Cuba today and have been able to do it for a number of years.

You simply have to book a ship that does call at a US port.

I won't speak for anyone else but I have no desire to violate U.S. law and circumvent prohibited travel by sailing from foreign ports knowingly doing what is not allowed.

When it is legal for U.S. citizens to cruises to Cuba, I shall consider it.

There are designated exceptions which permit such travel now but they do not apply to me, personally. I'm one of those boring rule followers. :o

Edited by sail7seas

It is easy for Americans to legally travel to Cuba today and has been for several years. A while ago I posted a list of about 6-8 well known US travel groups that have been offering such land based trips for a number of years. I also posted the name of a small cruise line (Blount) that has an interesting itinerary to Cuba that includes several ports and overland trips. However, some folks like more comfort which Carnival may now offer.

Many of our friends (US) have had wonderful, very interesting legal (for US citizens) land based trips to Cuba over the past few years. They all loved them, although luxury was not part of their descriptions. Terrific, fascinating, adventurous, and such words were.

I was all set to go last November but surgery changed those plans.

For those who previously said - who would want to support Castro and such, if that was one of my criteria for choosing destinations - my list of approximately 120 countries would be cut way, way back. I like to learn multiple sides of the story. So often after a visit I have a whole new perspective of a country than I learned in school or from the Media.

sail7seas,

But is IS possible for US citizens to legally cruise from Florida to Cuba now and has been for awhile, on at least one line - Blount, which is a wonderful small cruise ship line from the US. Way more like a River Boat cruise in Europe than a HAL ship, but a great experience in its own way. Nothing tricky about it - or at least no more tricky that travel to many countries. The ship takes care of the paperwork for you as they HAVE to be sure it was done right. (or on a land trip the group sponsoring the trip does the same - for the same reason.)

On our Cuba land trip cancelled due to surgery, we only had to arrange to get to Miami and home from Miami. The travel organizers took care of ALL, and I mean all the other details.

Several years ago we cruised with Blount from Chicago to Rhode Island - yes even through the navigable part of the Erie Canal. A fun, educational trip.

sail7seas,

But is IS possible for US citizens to legally cruise from Florida to Cuba now and has been for awhile, on at least one line - Blount, which is a wonderful small cruise ship line from the US. Way more like a River Boat cruise in Europe than a HAL ship, but a great experience in its own way. Nothing tricky about it - or at least no more tricky that travel to many countries. The ship takes care of the paperwork for you as they HAVE to be sure it was done right. (or on a land trip the group sponsoring the trip does the same - for the same reason.)

On our Cuba land trip cancelled due to surgery, we only had to arrange to get to Miami and home from Miami. The travel organizers took care of ALL, and I mean all the other details.

Several years ago we cruised with Blount from Chicago to Rhode Island - yes even through the navigable part of the Erie Canal. A fun, educational trip.

Yes, land trips and even cruises (though Blount doesn't offer Cuba anymore), have been allowed since 2011, but only for the 12 specific reasons allowed by the Treasury Dept, and the land portion would include "cultural immersion" or "people to people" sessions in order to qualify.

I'm not sure "Cuba" per se has anything to do with anything BUT legality NOW; 16 years ago my DH and I decided we "wanted to see the world" and cruising was the perfect WAY to do this -and now I think even more FIRMLY that we made a good choice to do that -LARGELY because most of what we saw or learned THERE [ and there being MANY many world ports via HAL] was that "propaganda" is not JUST a foreign thing done by "them" It comes from our country as well.

What we have found in 16 years/ over 1000 days on HAL [ and a VERY few other lines a FEW times] that in this WORLD are MANY many people who are just like us and love to see/learn/visit/etc and more etc - We have loved every minute of our travels and would do it all again in a heartbeat. Do we "need" or "want" warfare and killing? NOT my problem; MY problem was learning how NICE people all over this world ARE!

Yes, land trips and even cruises (though Blount doesn't offer Cuba anymore), have been allowed since 2011, but only for the 12 specific reasons allowed by the Treasury Dept, and the land portion would include "cultural immersion" or "people to people" sessions in order to qualify.

Thank you for the clarification.

Your information is always so valuable. :)

That's the catch. Passengers will be required to perform volunteer work. Grab a shovel as you exit the ship!!! Yeah, right. At least you will be hungry for dinner.

igraf

On second thought -- I don't want to do volunteer work as a way to see Cuba -- one of the reasons you can go there.
Edited by igraf

on our cruise last month on the Maasdam we were told that Carnival Corp had been scouting out and planning to build a cruise complex in Cuba.. no further particulars ..whether that will happen is anyone's guess.. obviously they know a lot more than has come out..

cameras at the ready..old cars..street vendors-- it'll be like going back in time-- 'back to Brooklyn in the 50's '.. for that I'd go in a heartbeat--might even get to see my old '65 GTO there :) :) on HAL of course..ah heck I'll go with Frankie D --worldwide ambassador extraordinaire :) :)

as far as I know US citizens are just about the only ones who are still prohibited from going to Cuba..

thinking out loud.. maybe that's why no Caribbean itineraries are posted for 2016-2017 except for the Koningsdam.. ya never know ???!!??..naw.. too soon..jumping the gun

Edited by Stakeout