sleep, park and cruise help

Jeanny

we're sailing on the 3/6/2016 Breakaway to the Bahama's. Any suggestion for sleep, park and cruise hotels in the NY/NJ area? Someone suggested staying in the LGA area... Do any hotels have shuttles or should we just get a car service? it will be 3 adults and one infant. thanks!! :)

Look into some hotels in Staten Island. There is a free ferry that goes from Staten Island into Manhattan. Or you could take a car service from SI into Manhattan. It's a lot cheaper in stay in SI than Manhattan.

Look into some hotels in Staten Island. There is a free ferry that goes from Staten Island into Manhattan. Or you could take a car service from SI into Manhattan. It's a lot cheaper in stay in SI than Manhattan.

Did you read that they will have an infant with them?

That will make it incredibly irritating to drag the stuff on the ferry and then to the subway and then to walk to the port not to mention doing this all over again when you come back especially in early march

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

we're sailing on the 3/6/2016 Breakaway to the Bahama's. Any suggestion for sleep, park and cruise hotels in the NY/NJ area? Someone suggested staying in the LGA area... Do any hotels have shuttles or should we just get a car service? it will be 3 adults and one infant. thanks!! :)

Price the car service round trip and you might realize that paying $280 for port parking is not much more costly but worth it's weight in gold especially with an infant in tow

IMHO you should be making convenience and safety your first priority with an infant.....economy your last

Edited by luvtheships

There are 2 hotels one block from the port entrance on West 48th street

Comfort Inn West & Holiday Inn Express.

I've stayed @ the Comfort Inn which has free breakfast & wifi; you might

call the above hotels to find out about parking & their rates.

thanks everyone! yeah, we're just exploring everything. We're worried if we drive down to NY (from Massachusetts) that morning, we wouldn't get a parking spot at the port. I've read it's limited parking. We've looked into taking a bus to NYC, but then still have to schlep luggage along with pushing the stroller/car seat from the station to the Port/taking a taxi and fitting it all in.

I think I'll look into the sleep, park link and see what I can find. Thanks for the SI suggestion along with the Comfort Inn information. All worth checking out.

Thanks for all of your help!

thanks everyone! yeah, we're just exploring everything. We're worried if we drive down to NY (from Massachusetts) that morning, we wouldn't get a parking spot at the port. I've read it's limited parking. We've looked into taking a bus to NYC, but then still have to schlep luggage along with pushing the stroller/car seat from the station to the Port/taking a taxi and fitting it all in.

I think I'll look into the sleep, park link and see what I can find. Thanks for the SI suggestion along with the Comfort Inn information. All worth checking out.

If I were you I'd drive down to CT and stay in Norwalk, Stamford or Greenwich or even in Westchester County NY then get up and drive the 35-40min to park at the port first thing in the morning.

There is tons of parking!

Another alternative could be to take an Amtrak train in on the day of the cruise from Providence... You would arrive at Penn Station and its a short cab ride to the pier. When we lived in CT we frequently utilized Amtrak or Metro North trains to get to Manhattan for cruises.

Edited by cliffd64

The parking at the port is somewhat limited but I have never seen it near full. I would bet most people arrive 10-12:30, so if you are later you may have a problem.

Park right, very near the cruise terminal allows you to make a reservation & they are cheaper.

http://parkright.com/670-w-43-st-new-york.shtml

Edited by HarpHarp

If I were you I'd drive down to CT and stay in Norwalk, Stamford or Greenwich or even in Westchester County NY then get up and drive the 35-40min to park at the port first thing in the morning.

The best suggestion yet!!! Get to the port by 10 am and slip right into a parking space too.

We stayed at the wyndham garden newark airport hotel. And I wouldn't recommend it.

There was a huge cockroach walking up the wall in the restaurant and the staff was so used to it that they weren't even interested in removing it.

When we came back after the cruise to pick up the car we found several dead cockroaches in the bathroom.

So we'll be trying a different hotel this year with parking arrangements.

Car service was less than 100 dollars each way with uber. I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you shop around for a little bit.

That's still cheaper than parking at the cruise terminal ( especially for longer cruises ), and means I don't have to drive through NYC myself.

This is your best option coming from your neck of the woods. A hotel will be cheaper and you will be an hour or less from the pier.

hmm, I hadn't even thought of Norwalk area.. I was just thinking too if we stayed in the area, we could snag a parking spot at the pier... if the ship docks at 8am and people are disembarking around 9-9:30, we could snag a spot then.

We were concerned if we drove down, we probably wouldn't get there until after 12noon and it would be filled up. We checked into Amtrak, they don't run from Worcester area on the weekends, and then we'd still have to get from the station to the cruiseport with all of our luggage and the stroller.

I like the suggestion about the Parkright, although I don't think my son-in-law would trust someone else driving his car like that :)

thanks again for all of the suggestions!!

hmm, I hadn't even thought of Norwalk area.. I was just thinking too if we stayed in the area, we could snag a parking spot at the pier... if the ship docks at 8am and people are disembarking around 9-9:30, we could snag a spot then.

We were concerned if we drove down, we probably wouldn't get there until after 12noon and it would be filled up. We checked into Amtrak, they don't run from Worcester area on the weekends, and then we'd still have to get from the station to the cruiseport with all of our luggage and the stroller.

I like the suggestion about the Parkright, although I don't think my son-in-law would trust someone else driving his car like that :)

thanks again for all of the suggestions!!

I'm not saying it's never happened, I've never read anyone reporting back here that they couldn't get a parking spot. We arrived close to 10, and the lot was almost empty.

I would agree with the posters who advised you to stay in Manhattan. We took a cruise in March and had snow- Staten Island and NJ cannot compare with the hotels available in Manhattan. If you are lucky enough to experience good weather, nice to walk around in Manhattan also- good restaurants and sights. It might cost a little more, but traveling with an infant is difficult enough and I am sure you have to bring a lot of supplies, so closer is better.

Enjoy your cruise

The answer is actually quite simple and hassle free......

Stay in Westchester....white plains perhaps as it is a wonderful city....or better yet at a very nice hotel on route 119 aka tarry town road and you just breeze down the parkway...not thruway ....to the port

Get up and going by 9 am and you will be at the pier by 9:45.....after the debark rush.....

That's what we do as we are from the area

If you said you were from mass in your op.....jersey....staten island etc would not even have been mentioned

LGA? Whoever suggested that to you needs a geography lesson

The ride down the saw mill parkway to the Henry Hudson pky is a pleasure on a weekend morning and really just pay the $280 to park

You have an infant a stroller and I assume way too much luggage than needed. Lol I'm serious about bring too much stuff

I really hope you got 2 cabins.

Comfort and convenience should be the priority here

And there are several 24 hour cvs stores around to pick up last minute stuff....

Edited by luvtheships

The answer is actually quite simple and hassle free......

Stay in Westchester....white plains perhaps as it is a wonderful city....or better yet at a very nice hotel on route 119 aka tarry town road and you just breeze down the parkway...not thruway ....to the port

Get up and going by 9 am and you will be at the pier by 9:45.....after the debark rush.....

That's what we do as we are from the area

If you said you were from mass in your op.....jersey....staten island etc would not even have been mentioned

LGA? Whoever suggested that to you needs a geography lesson

The ride down the saw mill parkway to the Henry Hudson pky is a pleasure on a weekend morning and really just pay the $280 to park

You have an infant a stroller and I assume way too much luggage than needed. Lol I'm serious about bring too much stuff

I really hope you got 2 cabins.

haha, oh yes we have two cabins, plus other relatives coming along for the cruise too. Some are taking the bus, some might be driving, some are flying and will probably take a taxi over.

I'm planning on 1 piece of luggage and my carry on. my daughter and son-in-law will each have the same, then we have one piece for Maddy and her stroller. She'll actually be turning two on the cruise.. so I shouldn't really be calling her an infant :D but I know we usually have way too many bags with her stuff when we go anywhere.

The LGA suggestion was from someone who usually stays in that area, then takes a shuttle over..probably a car service, so that's why this has become my job to research.

My son-in-law knows the Westchester area, so maybe we'll look around there next time he goes there for a business trip.

Thanks!! :)

Per Google Maps you have a little over a 3 hour drive. The BA sails Sunday, traffic is never bad Sunday AM. Personally I would leave your home at 6am, you'll be at the pier by 9:30am, with plenty of parking.

Did you read that they will have an infant with them?

That will make it incredibly irritating to drag the stuff on the ferry and then to the subway and then to walk to the port not to mention doing this all over again when you come back especially in early march

Yes, I did read that, it was only a suggestion about taking the ferry. And never did I mention anything about the subway. There's other ways of getting to the cruise terminal than the subway (i.e cab, car service, van service, ect..). I also suggested staying in SI and taking a car service..

Edited by bbryan5