Some small Koningsdam dining updates

InTheWASide

Interesting that the article does not mention any suite-only dining facilities.

I would really like them to go back to the original Canaletto menu. I do not like the new shared-plates concept. It really does not work for my traveling companions and me, we have such varied tastes that most of the food is wasted.

The only thing that has me concerned is the staff needed for all these facilities. Will the Konigsdam have more dining room/kitchen staff to cover them at reasonable levels? Logistically I can't see how it would work with the current staffing levels.

Interesting that the article does not mention any suite-only dining facilities.

I would really like them to go back to the original Canaletto menu. I do not like the new shared-plates concept. It really does not work for my traveling companions and me, we have such varied tastes that most of the food is wasted.

The only thing that has me concerned is the staff needed for all these facilities. Will the Konigsdam have more dining room/kitchen staff to cover them at reasonable levels? Logistically I can't see how it would work with the current staffing levels.

Good question. Especially with certain venues having longer hours. Maybe that's where iPad ordering comes in. (Just joking- but doesn't one of the lines do that already?)

Good question. Especially with certain venues having longer hours. Maybe that's where iPad ordering comes in. (Just joking- but doesn't one of the lines do that already?)

Qsine on Celebrity does iPad ordering. And it's coming to a venue on Norwegian Escape as well.

Qsine on Celebrity does iPad ordering. And it's coming to a venue on Norwegian Escape as well.

Do the servers have iPads? You would still need the servers to take the orders.

Or do passengers have to order from their own iPads? If so, what happens if passengers don't have an iPad?.

While I love my ioad I don't want to be touching something else that tons of people have had their hands on. Does every restaurant have to do what celebrity does?

I seriously doubt that you'd pick up any more germs off an iPad screen than you would off a printed menu.

I seriously doubt that you'd pick up any more germs off an iPad screen than you would off a printed menu.

Do people feel the need to play with a menu? I seriously doubt that. I get so tired about hearing they do this and that on celebrity. If it works so well for people why not sail exclusively on celebrity? After a couple of cruises on celebrity they rate at the bottom of the barrel for me, even below carnival.

Do people feel the need to play with a menu? I seriously doubt that. I get so tired about hearing they do this and that on celebrity. If it works so well for people why not sail exclusively on celebrity? After a couple of cruises on celebrity they rate at the bottom of the barrel for me, even below carnival.

No, but people generally hold the menu, so in both cases you are making contact with an item handled by others. Don't let your dislike of Celebrity cloud your common sense.

No, but people generally hold the menu, so in both cases you are making contact with an item handled by others.

Then of course there are door handles, elevator buttons, handrails, items in the shops, slot machine buttons, playing cards, counters you may lean against...

No, but people generally hold the menu, so in both cases you are making contact with an item handled by others. Don't let your dislike of Celebrity cloud your common sense.

You are not touching every square inch of a menu. I could say the same to you. Don't let your love of celebrity cloud common sense. I applaud Hal for not being a carbon copy of celebrity. Is that really the gold standard?

You are not touching every square inch of a menu. I could say the same to you. Don't let your love of celebrity cloud common sense. I applaud Hal for not being a carbon copy of celebrity. Is that really the gold standard?

I don't touch every square inch of my iPad either. :rolleyes:

While I love my ioad I don't want to be touching something else that tons of people have had their hands on. Does every restaurant have to do what celebrity does?

iPads are cleaned more because the fingerprints. Menus are NEVER cleaned. iPads will be much more sanitary.

I do believe that HAL will be moving into the 21st century very soon with technology ;) I understand they are about to release an APP for Smart phones to be used on board the ships much like the other cruise lines have. You should be able to check you on board account, make and confirm dinner reservations, make spa appointments and shore excursions. I understand they are still working on it. So will be interesting when this comes out. My last NCL cruise this past November I used their app on my phone and I loved it, saw my on board account expenses, checked dinner reservations and even made one and also bought my Future Cruise Certificate on the APP. Definitely made things easier :)

iPads are cleaned more because the fingerprints. Menus are NEVER cleaned. iPads will be much more sanitary.

Menus are replaced over time. If they wipe an iPad off with a wet cloth the germs remain. I've said before if I was so put off by everything on Hal I wouldn't cruise with them. It's normal to have some complaints but it seems so many posters would be happier with another line because they are so frustrated with technology. To me to be staring at a phone or iPad 24/7 is not a great thing. I saw a kid the other day about 3 years old playing with a cell phone. It would be so much nicer if the parents were more interested in their child rather than shoving electronics in their hand. I have all the electronics but I know it's important to draw the line somewhere.

I do believe that HAL will be moving into the 21st century very soon with technology ;) I understand they are about to release an APP for Smart phones to be used on board the ships much like the other cruise lines have. You should be able to check you on board account, make and confirm dinner reservations, make spa appointments and shore excursions. I understand they are still working on it. So will be interesting when this comes out. My last NCL cruise this past November I used their app on my phone and I loved it, saw my on board account expenses, checked dinner reservations and even made one and also bought my Future Cruise Certificate on the APP. Definitely made things easier :)

That's good news for so many that get so frustrated by the lack of technology. I guess they'll have to dig deeper to find something to complain about:D. Thx for the info.

From your words to God's (or in this case Orlando Ashford's ears)!

Menus are replaced over time. If they wipe an iPad off with a wet cloth the germs remain. I've said before if I was so put off by everything on Hal I wouldn't cruise with them. It's normal to have some complaints but it seems so many posters would be happier with another line because they are so frustrated with technology. To me to be staring at a phone or iPad 24/7 is not a great thing. I saw a kid the other day about 3 years old playing with a cell phone. It would be so much nicer if the parents were more interested in their child rather than shoving electronics in their hand. I have all the electronics but I know it's important to draw the line somewhere.

I am one who complains about the lack of technology. However I have sailed lines that excel with it and still don't prefer them. It isn't a make-or-break single issue.

My point is this technology is out there, inexpensive, easy to setup and greatly enhances guest experiences. Yet HAL (yet) hasn't implemented it and lags wayyyyyyyyyyyy behind.

As Lisa says though I expect that to change fairly quickly with the new leadership group and new ship. Time will tell.

What's the purpose of these screens in the corridor of the culinary boulevard near the culinary arts center?

As I understand it, it'll be a way to learn about the various chefs in the Culinary Council, etc. It may also have a fair deal of info about wine since there's... well... something wine related going in that area that has yet to be announced :D

I'd love to see self-ordering in the MDR. I think it would give the staff more time to actually serve their tables. What a waste of their time when someone is trying to decide what to order.

Given the older crowd on Hal I wonder how that would work. My parents would freak out if they had to order anything that way. I realize a lot of older folks are tech savvy so no need for anyone to jump down my throat about it. I wonder if any cruise line uses this method for the MDR and if it has proved successful.