Infinity or Solstice Through Alaska?

sunny218

Hi, Everyone!

I've been dying to go on a family trip to Alaska and recently came across a deal that I'm not sure we can pass up! The only problem is, which cruise to choose? Here are the two options we're considering.

Celebrity Infinity (Vancouver/BC, Cruising Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Cruising Hubbard Glacier,

Juneau, Ketchikan, Cruising Inside Passage, Vancouver/BC)

Celebrity Solstice (Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway,

Cruising Inside Passage, Victoria/BC, Seattle)

**(Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway,

Cruising Inside Passage, Victoria/BC, Vancouver/BC)

Millennium is also available, so at the risk of throwing a third ship into the mix, would you vote Millennium over the other two? So much to think about!

The Millenium is a "one way" which creates a much different cruise but more critically, more expense and less availability for the flights to/from. The first two both go in/out of the same ports, but there may result in quite different flight/hotel/land transport costs to you and your family. If those other costs are somewhat equal, then I personally would pick Solstice. Millennium worked for us last minute only because we have mileage awards that were available.

We sailed on the Solstice last month and loved the ship and itinerary. (I haven't actually been on the Infinity before.) We considered the roundtrip Vancouver sailing, but found it was cheaper to fly into Seattle. And after reading some of the reviews from the beginning of the Alaska cruise season, I noticed there were a lot of complaints about the time and and hassle it took to get through security/checked in at Vancouver. I found the process at Seattle (Pier 91) to be a breeze. Another plus with Seattle...we were able to take advantage of the "luggage valet" program. For $20pp (plus checked bag charges), they printed out our tickets and luggage tags, so were able to leave our checked luggage outside the door on our last night of the cruise and just picked it up when we landed at home.

The Infinity itinerary you listed doesn't include Skagway; we did the White Pass & Yukon Railway excursion there, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. But if you sail on the Solstice, one thing I'd recommend...be sure to check the port calendar for Juneau. We happened to be there on a day that the Solstice was tendering rather than docked, so the process of getting to/from shore takes a lot longer. Here's the 2015 calendar: http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Juneau-JNU-2015.pdf You'll want to avoid visiting Juneau on days when the Solstice is listed as AMP (anchored marine park); try to book for a date when the ship is docked rather than tendered.

So, that's my input. Hopefully you'll hear from someone who has done both itineraries and can give you comparative feedback.

~ Shay

We just got back from the Solstice. It was our first cruise ever so I can't compare to other ships but we were impressed! Oh, if he stays on the Solstice- Bent Nixon is a point in that ship's favor. He was very entertaining and I learned a lot about the Alaskan wild life. The evening entertainment was very good too.

In Tracy Arm, we went up park way and had to turn back because there was too much ice in the water and to continue wouldn't be safe. The captain said earlier in the season, they could go all the way up, and probably would be able to in Aug and Sept. But in June and July it was unlikely.

In Juneau, we did have to tender. I wasn't sure how it would go. We ended up getting there a half hour earlier than scheduled so that helped some. We were number 16 for tender boats and got on land about an hour and half after they began. We had no tours scheduled, we just found a tour bus on the docks to take us to Mendenhall Glacier. So, tendering wasn't horrible, but still if you can get the non-tendered day, that would be better.

The Solstice would be my vote for you too as I like the S class better than the M class. However, the one down side of the Solstice is that she sails west of Vancouver Island and misses the best part of the inside passage. I agree missing Skagway would be a downer for the Infinity.

It's way easier to do Seattle, but Tracy Arm is not that spectacular. I just did a one way from Vancouver to Whitter on Princess and it was fantastic. Loved seeing Glacier Bay and College Fjords- spectacular if you are interested in Glaciers. So I'd do the same itinerary if Celebrity Millennium offers it. Yes- flying back from Anchorage is farther but loved the bus ride to Anchorage. It's a nice little airport and I'd do the whole thing over. I have done Infinity and Solstice to Alaska btw. Of those two ships- I prefer Infinity. The M-class are my favorites. Brent Nixon does the summer Alaska cruises. He is great and usually does Solstice out of Seattle. So that would be the main reason I'd pick Solstice.

We've done both and I agree with all the other responses. I love Vancouver but Seattle is easier to get to/from for us.

Hubbard Glacier is more spectacular and more accessible than Sawyer (if you can even get past Tracy Arm to see it!). If you go for Solstice and want to get close to Sawyer glacier take the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion. Infinity does the inside passage where as Solstice travels mainly in the open ocean.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but for us the deciding factor on Solstice this year was Brent Nixon, we've been fortunate to have him on 2 other cruises. He is so passionate about his work and his presentations are so entertaining and educational. The Naturalist previously on the Vancouver RT was Milos, who is very good but I wouldn't schedule my day around his presentations like I did with Brent.

Whatever you decide you'll have a great time :)

Not a fan of the Infinity. Like the Solstice. I also like the Millenium which does Alaska cruises. I would also consider the ports, times, and costs. Having been to Alaska, I would suggest a cruise that stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Sitka is also a good stop.

I'd highly recommend the Millie south from Seward.

You arrive at Glacier Bay in the afternoon when the fog has lifted. That's a huge advantage if you truly want to experience the calving.

Another advantage is ending in Vancouver. Anchorage is 1,300 miles north of Vancouver.

We have also been on the Infinity and the Millie and prefer the latter.

I really think you miss too much, with the added angst of sailing in the Pacific, on the Solstice.

Another option, if time and schedule permits is a repo from Vancouver sailing to Alaska and on to San Diego. That was one of our all time favorite cruises.

We have just returned from Alaska on Infinity and loved it. We were unsure about the ship before we boarded as we have been on a couple of the solstice ships but she was in great shape. We had calm seas all the way causing the inside passage and Hubbard glacier was amazing went really close in. No problem with tendering at icy straight got on no. 3. I have heard the Seattle departure can be rather rocky so may be a consideration if you suffer.

We are booked on the Aug 2nd out of Vancouver on the Infinity. I too had the same decision as you but I have also been to Alaska (Glacier Bay on Norwegian) so I knew that I wanted the inside passage out of Vancouver for more scenery.

The Seattle to Seattle trip was OK but there were times where it was rougher on the water and nothing much to look at on some days.

I will see Sawyer Glacier on this trip as we are in Juneau 12 hours so I booked the day long excursion with ADVENTURE BOUND ALASKA for a lot less $$. We will see Hubbard as well so I'm happy with our trip.

Skagway is a great port that is not on our itinerary but I was there so missing it was no biggie since Hubbard is a great alternative. It really comes down to cost(if that is a factor) , Itinerary and your preferences.

We are booked on the Aug 2nd out of Vancouver on the Infinity. I too had the same decision as you but I have also been to Alaska (Glacier Bay on Norwegian) so I knew that I wanted the inside passage out of Vancouver for more scenery.

The Seattle to Seattle trip was OK but there were times where it was rougher on the water and nothing much to look at on some days.

Know what you mean. The biggest drawback to the Solstice for Alaska is its poor itinerary.

Two days are essentially wasted just cruising out in the ocean, missing out on the scenic inside passage route taken by the ships that travel to/from Vancouver.

Also, in Juneau the Solstice either tenders or gets an undesirable docking berth, and the brief evening stop at Victoria does not allow sufficient time for enjoying that port.

Granted the Solstice is a beautiful ship, but as much as we enjoy the shipboard experience, we can experience sea days on S-class ships at much lower cost on other itineraries.

Alaska cruises are expensive, (unless you manage to pick up a good deal on one of the special rates), so that is a high cost to pay for spending all that time cruising out at sea and missing the lower Inside Passage.