How much extra do you spend on food on Royal Caribbean

How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)  

399 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)

My husband describes me as a cheap date on a cruise. We rarely have any balance on our account when we are done. We prepay gratuities and use tip envelopes for extra tipping. I can find plenty of food I like without paying extra. We eat out at home so up charging to the specialty dining is not much of a treat for us.

We've only done the Quantum so far. With so many different dining venues included at no extra charge, we only did one up charge restaurant on our 8 night transatlantic. Even then, we only got to visit each included dining room once, plus a second visit to each of our favorites. For that cruise we chose Chops as our up charge dining experience. It was a super stand out and we'll definitely try it again sometime.

When we do our Mediterranean cruise next year we plan to try Wonderland. We weren't sure what to think of it when we did the Quantum, so didn't book. Having seen it and spoken with others who dined there, I now think everyone ought to give it a go once if they can.

We've got a super short three night on Majesty coming up this fall. We're not planning any specialty dining for that cruise just on account of it being so short. We figure one regular dinner in the MDR, one Formal dinner in the MDR, and then we might just give in and do the Windjammer once for dinner. At most, we might work in a lunch at Johnny Rockets.

I voted 1-30 but should hav voted one up I usually do Chops once or 150 Park. It depends on how I feel and the service I am getting from the Main Restaurants. If service is really good then I do not go. I buy a Replenish package.

I'll go to Johnny Rocket's at least once. The location near my house was closed recently, so now I need an RC cruise to get my burger and shake fix.

You saying this had me laughing. We actually have a Johnny Rocket's not too far from us and I can honestly say the only time we eat JR is on a ship. That said we like the food they serve. We just think of it as a cruise experience. Now how sad is that!!! LOL

I cant justify spending an additional amount on food if I already paid for my meals/snack when its included in the cruise fare. Its like going to the grocery store and spending $200 on groceries for the week and then eating your meals out several times that week when there is food at home...

We like the MDR experience and I haven't had a meal in their I haven't likes yet....the same for the windjammer.

Just a simple poll to see how much additional money people are spending on upcharge specialty dining food / experiences onboard Royal Caribbean ships.

We spent $130 each on the Oasis last month.

Normally it is less than $50 per person though. We did both menus of the 150 Central Park, Chops, Johnny Rockets & Sabor.

Oh, I did get the wine paint at 150 Central Park one of the times, so maybe a little more. :eek:

That is NOT the norm though LOL. :D And, for the record, all of them were well worth the money.

- Holly

We were very satisfied with MDR, but love Italian so we did GiovannI's one time on mystery dinner night. Limited, but good menu, bottle of

Wine and an interactive activity. Nice.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

If we have an OBC that needs spending, we might go to a specialty restaurant. Other than that, we stick to MDR. Johnny rockets is worth the cover charge in our opinion. We skip the beverage package, but usually purchase a few bottles of wine.

We are all in. We usually do all specialty restaurants and the chefs table. We usually get one bought by our travel agent and get a discount for booking 3. But still expensive. And we do the the alcohol packages. But we are foodies so we like it. The only one that wasn't worth it last time was chops, crowded with poor service on Allure. So 600 on food for the two of us for food. Plus 800 drinks package...

Now THAT cracks me up!

Interesting poll! I never realized how many people NEVER go to specialty restaurants while cruising.

LuLu

For many it's an economic decision. Many are completely satisfied with the regular offerings of the MDR or buffet.

But you can tell that there are a lot of snarky people who think they are making a statement by not spending the upcharge as if it's a sucker's bet to do so. Yet, a lot of these are the same people who don't think twice about paying the upcharge for a window/balcony/suite, or the upcharge for soda/alcohol when water is included in the cruise fare. Why pay for an excursion when it costs nothing extra to walk around the port?

People pay additional money for a lot of things to enhance their vacation, but for some reason specialty restaurants stand out as something unnecessary or even offensive to many cruisers.

We don't have any real issues when it comes to eating all our meals in the MDR or Windjammer. So we can do most of our cruises without spending any extra funds on food. We MIGHT do one night out of a 7 day sailing at Chops/Giovannis, and possibly a lunch at Johnny Rockets, but that's it. That could run us a maximum of around $70 or so.