paying for tours/drivers in cash vs cc

cigarboo

I notice many people book tours in multiple ports, especially with companies like RIL or Smartcruise, etc. That adds up to a lot of money and it seems that payment is in cash.

I'm curious how people handle this. We have 2 tours booked. I suppose I will exhange money in the US and just sweat bullets while I travel, until I complete the tours.

For RIL, there is a pay by cc 10days prior with 5% charge. Has anyone done that? Was thinking this might save me from bringing tons of cash. Except I have a fear that if somehow there's a mishap w/tour arrangements, I would have no tour and not enough cash for touring alternatives.

I am sure you will get some good answers here,but if you read some threads on this board you will find a lot of people use the ATM's to get cash out so one does not have to carry a lot of cash and a much better rate than you would get exchanging money here before you go.

Thank you for your reply. However, I think I need a lot more money than 1 or 2 atm can give me. I don't really have time to go from atm to atm to collect enough money for the tours. I agree, in most other instances, atms are the way to go.

On my Serenade cruise last October I organized 3 tours and someone else did 3 more. In our case we collected the money at the M&M so we could make up envelopes and store them in the cabin safe for the appropriate port. It worked fine. I just exchanged $$$ for euros through Wells Fargo (best rate that I found) before I left home.

I actually felt better not using an ATM overseas or a CC in the ports (even though my Capital One card didn't charge fees).

If there are just two of you paying for the excursions before you leave home the 5% might not be a large amount. I wouldn't anticipate any isses if you use Pay Pal and you will have receipts for the payments. Edited by LEtue

I use a spreadsheet to identify what I need in cash and what I can pay by cc each day. Some places have easy access to ATMs, others don't. I add one max amount ATM withdrawal for the easy access days, then get cash before I leave the US for the cash gap (if any).

Last time we did the Mediterranean/Italy in 2011 I was short at the start of one of my tours because of a missed ATM withdrawal the day before. The tour guide was happy to point out an ATM out to me during the day so I could pay by cash.

[quote name='cigarboo'][B]IThat adds up to a lot of money and it seems that payment is in cash.

I'm curious how people handle this.[/B] We have 2 tours booked. I suppose I will exhange money in the US and just sweat bullets while I travel, until I complete the tours.

[/quote]

We just hit ATM's as we go. Much safer than carrying an entire vacation's worth of cash on our person while we travel and "sweating bullets" as a result.

[quote name='cigarboo']Thank you for your reply. However, I think [B]I need a lot more money than 1 or 2 atm can give me. I don't really have time to go from atm to atm to collect enough money for the tours.[/B] I agree, in most other instances, atms are the way to go.[/quote]

ATM's are plentiful in any tourist destination, and as I recall, typical daily withdrawal limits are around 300€. Do you really need to hit more than 1 a day? How much are your tours? :eek:

I need enough for 2 RIL van hires, plus vatican guide plus tip and spending/lunch money... so yes, I need a lot. I also want to have enough to hire an all day taxi tour for 7 people in Naples. At minimum, I need enough for the 2 tours I've already booked. I'm thinking I need at least 2000 euros.

have you checked with RIL to see if they take paypal? I am using Rome Cabs in two sites and have fully paid the tours before I leave via paypal. Also made arrangements with two other companies and did the same. This brings down the amount of EUROs we need to bring with us. The exchange rate on paypal is whatever the current bank rate is.

[quote name='cigarboo']I need enough for 2 RIL van hires, plus vatican guide plus tip and spending/lunch money... so yes, I need a lot. I also want to have enough to hire an all day taxi tour for 7 people in Naples. At minimum, I need enough for the 2 tours I've already booked. I'm thinking I need at least 2000 euros.[/QUOTE]

We too had private tours in every port. Much cheaper than the ship's exclusion, but, yes quite a but of Euros. I think it was over € 1200. We took quite a bit with us, exchanged at Wells Fargo for a great rate, no fees. We used a money belt and kept the money not needed in the safe. We still had to get some more! Having too much fun! It is worth checking if any of them now take credit cards or PayPal.

I don't like having to stop to get money. Several years ago we had the "limit" removed form our daily withdrawals. I think we removed as much as €1000.00 in Venice once. A bank officer said all you have to do is ask. We have been with the bank a long time, not sure if that made a difference. This was Bank of America.

[quote name='cigarboo']I need enough for 2 RIL van hires, plus vatican guide plus tip and spending/lunch money... so yes, I need a lot. I also want to have enough to hire an all day taxi tour for 7 people in Naples. At minimum, I need enough for the 2 tours I've already booked. I'm thinking I need at least 2000 euros.[/quote]

Having no idea how much the RIL van hires are, it sounds like this is for excursions that are spread out over several days. Still seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to just hit an ATM (one) each day. Maybe take some euro with you to start the trip if one ATM visit/day won't give you enough, particularly for the first few days, and consider using a credit card for lunches and major souvenirs if possible.
Not really sure what the alternative is... you say you don't want to be carrying all your money and sweating bullets about it, but you don't want to visit numerous ATM's each day and you want/need to use cash.

I buy euros from my bank before I go. Used to use ATMs but the convenience of having my $$ ahead of time just works for me…… and I know what you mean about needing more than what you can get from 1 ATM. Add to that having to do it in multiple ports and well - it can be a hassle and I don't like hassle on vacation.

I take small white envelopes and put the date and port on the front. Then I put the euros in for the tour and appropriate tips along with any entry fees or ferry costs etc ……. they go in the cabin safe and every morning I just pull out the envelope that goes with that day…….. easy peasy…….

As for traveling with that cash….. its really no different than keeping on eye on your passport (another major item that you don't want to have go missing!) I am just very careful. I don't wear flashy jewelry off the ship etc…..

[quote name='texancruzer']I buy euros from my bank before I go. Used to use ATMs but the convenience of having my $$ ahead of time just works for me…… and I know what you mean about needing more than what you can get from 1 ATM. Add to that having to do it in multiple ports and well - it can be a hassle and I don't like hassle on vacation.

I take small white envelopes and put the date and port on the front. Then I put the euros in for the tour and appropriate tips along with any entry fees or ferry costs etc ……. they go in the cabin safe and every morning I just pull out the envelope that goes with that day…….. easy peasy…….

As for traveling with that cash….. its really no different than keeping on eye on your passport (another major item that you don't want to have go missing!) I am just very careful. I don't wear flashy jewelry off the ship etc…..[/QUOTE]

We've got "cash only" tours too on our forthcoming cruise and little port time to hit ATM's. So this is exactly what we're doing. I figured out what we'd need for each excursion and what denominations (and using large denomination bills when possible to cut down on the bulk) and will arrange in small envelopes as you do. For purchases and lunches, we'll use credit cards but will take a few extra Euros for small stuff. For travel pre cruise we'll be wearing money belts inside our clothes (and pinned) I always wear a cross body small purse for hand sanitizer, tissues, lipstick, etc. and for my little bit of cash and my camera. I'm not paranoid but I certainly pay attention to my surroundings, just as I would if I were carrying a lot of cash at home.

My experience (having visited Europe 1-2x per year since 2009) is that most European airports have pretty decent exchange rates. I usually bring USD and exchange at the airport, it goes into my purse which is then securely locked, with taxi money placed in an outside compartment, which prevents me having to open my purse till I'm at the hotel. Like a lot of people, I will carry as much cash as I need for the day, the rest stays in the safe at the hotel or on the ship. If you are in a family party, it also makes sense to divvy up the money among you - that way, if one person gets pickpocketed, you only lose part of the cash.

I've been wary about using ATM's in Europe. A friend of mine 2 years back had a very bad experience - she withdrew money in Venice and apparently, half an hour later, someone cleaned out her account in Rome! She only found out when she was trying to withdraw money again, she had to call Chase and it was a pain getting it sorted out. Chase thought there might have been skimmers attached to the ATM she used, and they got her account info that way. Since then, I've tried to not hit up ATM's at all. Although the inside ATM's (not the streetside ones) should be fine. But I felt like I've usually gotten a good rate at the airports and usually exchange 2,000-3,000 Euros per trip. I'm also careful about using credit cards, although sometimes you don't have a choice if you are buying a big ticket item.

[quote name='samavarcruiser']If the company is reputable, just pay with cc and don't think about it anymore :)[/quote]

But that would take all the fun out of it for those who prefer worrying, fretting, and agonizing over such choices. :D

[quote name='waterbug123']Having no idea how much the RIL van hires are, it sounds like this is for excursions that are spread out over several days. Still seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to just hit an ATM (one) each day. Maybe take some euro with you to start the trip if one ATM visit/day won't give you enough, particularly for the first few days, and consider using a credit card for lunches and major souvenirs if possible.
Not really sure what the alternative is... you say you don't want to be carrying all your money and sweating bullets about it, but you don't want to visit numerous ATM's each day and you want/need to use cash.[/QUOTE]

These tours are generally around €600 without tip or private guide for places such as the Vatican or Pompeii. So if you are paying for it all, it is quite a bit of money. I know the guides are more than €100. The Vatican guide was close to €200. Maybe more.

RIL is very reliable. There are thousands of reviews in the RIL thread. If you feel better using the CC at 5 percent charge, you could do that. We used them in Rome, they were great. We used Simply Almafi in Naples as someone on the roll call recommended them. Both were outstanding.

The guides will want cash, however.