What to wear on formal nights

Someone in the Alaska forum told me formal night is now called "gala" because HAL passengers are not wearing tuxedos and prom gowns in the MDR anymore. Will I be overdressed in a sequined dress with a double layer ankle length skirt?

Also, on the second formal night, I will eat supper at the Pinnacle Grill (TA's gift to us). Do people wear their fancy dresses there too or only in the MDR?

Someone in the Alaska forum told me formal night is now called "gala" because HAL passengers are not wearing tuxedos and prom gowns in the MDR anymore. Will I be overdressed in a sequined dress with a double layer ankle length skirt?

Also, on the second formal night, I will eat supper at the Pinnacle Grill (TA's gift to us). Do people wear their fancy dresses there too or only in the MDR?

I don't think HAL has provided any reason for changing the name from "Formal Night" to "Gala Night" so I suspect whoever told you that is simply speculating.

On our last Alaska cruise, this year, I was actually surprised at the number of men in tuxes and women in long dresses. I wouldn't say a majority, but certainly a lot of people were dressed formally.

Wear your dress. And yes, you need to be in a "fancy" dress/cocktail dress/pantsuit on formal night for the PG.

Out of curiosity how "casual" can one dress on a formal night? Is a dress shirt and skirt for ladies, and golf shirt and long slacks appropriate? Or is that too casual?

HAL requires a minimum of jacket and tie for males for GALA nights.. No jeans allowed. Not sure how they address female attire.

Out of curiosity how "casual" can one dress on a formal night? Is a dress shirt and skirt for ladies, and golf shirt and long slacks appropriate? Or is that too casual?

That would be great for a smart casual. Not sure why that would ever be considered formal wear.

That's perfect for smart casual night, not formal.

Definitions of formal wear differ from place to place. As far as I can tell, the US definition of formal wear -- tuxedoes, gloves and long dresses for women are just applicable in the US, not other place.

My experience has been that the posters on this board are far more concerned with what other people are wearing than anyone actually on the ships or any of the ship staff.

The minimum of a jacket & tie for men for gala/formal nights is just that a minimum. If you want to dress more formally than that, do so. I remember my high school prom nights, when we went to a casual dining restaurant for dinner in our prom finery. Yes, we were overdressed for the crowd, but we were celebrating and we had a good time.

As a society, we need to stop worrying about what other people think and make ourselves happy. If you're happy wearing a tuxedo with a cut-away jacket and/or long, sparkly dress with a tiara, go for it, even if it's not a Gala/Formal night. Sometimes we have to celebrate the every day, stop saving things for "special" that never comes.

Thank you for the replies

We are cruising as a family of 4, and with 2 young kids, this cruise is a luxury. So we don't have the budget to buy formal wear. I have the generic little black dress, and my husband a shirt and tie. I've traveled to Alaska on NCL in the past and it wasn't very formal even on the formal night. But it's my first time in HAL so not sure if they are as rigid.

I don't think HAL has provided any reason for changing the name from "Formal Night" to "Gala Night" so I suspect whoever told you that is simply speculating.

On our last Alaska cruise, this year, I was actually surprised at the number of men in tuxes and women in long dresses. I wouldn't say a majority, but certainly a lot of people were dressed formally.

Wear your dress. And yes, you need to be in a "fancy" dress/cocktail dress/pantsuit on formal night for the PG.

From HAL's site (no reason given for the change of formal to gala):

Is There A Dress Code?

Guest Attire

Daytime dress is casual. Pack appropriately for the climate in which you're sailing. We suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat, waterproof hat or umbrella for cooler climates. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing — for example, certain places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants.

Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear.

Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening Dress

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. Formalwear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

The number of Gala Nights on your cruise depends upon the duration of the voyage. The number of Gala Nights for collector voyages is based upon the duration of each individual voyage of the ship.

Voyages of 28 days or fewer will follow the schedule below for Formal evenings:

Voyage duration Number of Gala NightsLess than 7 days

7 - 13 days

14 - 20 days

21 - 28 days

More than 28 days

1 Formal evening

2 Formal evenings

3 Formal evenings

4 Formal evenings

Varies based on cruise schedule

Thank you for the replies

We are cruising as a family of 4, and with 2 young kids, this cruise is a luxury. So we don't have the budget to buy formal wear. I have the generic little black dress, and my husband a shirt and tie. I've traveled to Alaska on NCL in the past and it wasn't very formal even on the formal night. But it's my first time in HAL so not sure if they are as rigid.

I wouldn't call it "rigid" so much as "dress up". Party wear for women, and basic "dressed" for men in a jacket and tie.

Hardly "formal" in any sense of the word, except HAL's.

From HAL's site (no reason given for the change of formal to gala):

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress ...

I never post on threads related to clothes but this one got me. Although I know there are a lot of fashion police on these boards whose faces probably lit up when they read the above statement taken from the HAL site, there are certainly many people who could care less about impressing others with what they wear ... or with anything else, for that matter. But for HAL to actually use this wording on their site seems a bit presumptuous on their part, IMHO. Are they aspiring to be Cunard? :rolleyes:

I never post on threads related to clothes but this one got me. Although I know there are a lot of fashion police on these boards whose faces probably lit up when they read the above statement taken from the HAL site, there are certainly many people who could care less about impressing others with what they wear ... or with anything else, for that matter. But for HAL to actually use this wording on their site seems a bit presumptuous on their part, IMHO. Are they aspiring to be Cunard? :rolleyes:

I think that HAL is trying to set expectations. I, for one, happen to appreciate advance warning on how to dress. I don't think it's presumptuous at all. It's helpful.

If you happen to be friends with the crowd "who could care less about impressing others with what they wear ... or with anything else, for that matter, " please tell them that pants are appreciated. :) (Smiley face.)

I think that HAL is trying to set expectations. I, for one, happen to appreciate advance warning on how to dress. I don't think it's presumptuous at all. It's helpful.

If you happen to be friends with the crowd "who could care less about impressing others with what they wear ... or with anything else, for that matter, " please tell them that pants are appreciated. :) (Smiley face.)

I also appreciate knowing how to dress. My comment simply had to do with them using the phrase "dress to impress" as being presumpuous. BTW, I think their reworded dress codes are even more clear as mud.

You're second statement was clearly unnecessary and VERY judgmental and leads me to believe you are in fact one of those people who judge others by their clothes, houses, cars, jewelry, etc. and see yourself as a card-toting member of the onboard fashion police. You jumped to the conclusion that DH and I and anyone we might be traveling with must wear shorts and flip-flops to the MDR. If you knew us, you'd see how ludicrous that assumption is. :rolleyes:

I hesitate to post in a dress code thread (for any cruise line), as without fail they quicky degrade into ugliness and claims of "shorts and flip-flops in the MDR" (which isn't even allowed on a normal night, let alone a formal night).

But since we're going to be taking our first HAL cruise next year (after more than a dozen cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, and NCL), I wanted to see if I could get a reasonable answer to how HAL compares to the others in terms of what's ACTUALLY the norm in practice. I know what the HAL guidelines say ( "Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen"). Does HAL usually turn men away if they don't wear a jacket, or is it more like the other lines where as long as you dress up nicely (like dress shirt/tie/slacks), they usually let you in? We've never been turned away on another line without a jacket, but we always up-dress on those nights (just absent the jacket).

I know many say "just bring a jacket". And we probably will if we have to. But we really prefer not to as a 2 lb jacket in the luggage on a 3 week trip just further displaces luggage capability, especially for buying souvenirs during the trip and fitting them in the 50lb luggage limit to bring home.

Also, how does the normal formal night enforcement compare between the MDR and the specialty restaurants (Canaletto and Pinnacle)? If we decide to bypass the MDR on formal nights, would just a dress shirt/tie/slacks be accepted any more in those 2 restaurants?

Thanks.

Edited by dbsb3233

I hesitate to post in a dress code thread (for any cruise line), as without fail they quicky degrade into ugliness and claims of "shorts and flip-flops in the MDR" (which isn't even allowed on a normal night, let alone a formal night).

But since we're going to be taking our first HAL cruise next year (after more than a dozen cruises on RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, and NCL), I wanted to see if I could get a reasonable answer to how HAL compares to the others in terms of what's ACTUALLY the norm in practice. I know what the HAL guidelines say ( "Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen"). Does HAL usually turn men away if they don't wear a jacket, or is it more like the other lines where as long as you dress up nicely (like dress shirt/tie/slacks), they usually let you in? We've never been turned away on another line without a jacket, but we always up-dress on those nights (just absent the jacket).

I know many will say "just bring a jacket". And if we have to we'll have to. But we really prefer not to as a 2 lb jacket in the luggage on a 3 week cruise just further limits luggage capability, especially for buying souvenirs during the trip and fitting them in the 50lb luggage limit.

Also, how does the normal formal night enforcement compare between the MDR and the specialty restaurants (Canaletto and Pinnacle)? If we decide to bypass the MDR on formal nights, would just a dress shirt/tie/slacks be accepted any more in those 2 restaurants?

Thanks.

Every ship is different. I've seen cruises where the dress code was not enforced at all. It seems lately for my cruises there has been a rack of jackets as loaners so it was enforced. Canaletto is casual. Any other specialty restaurant follows the dress code of the ship.

We have done a dozen cruises on Carnival. The level of dressing up has indeed been less and less over the years. I still wear my tuxedo and DW will wear her party dresses. Fact is, we find it is more enjoyable to look nice and it helps us to feel more festive.

Our national norm of dress is becoming just plain sloppy. We have people who show up at our big "downtown" church in bib overalls and steel toe boots. No, these people do not have anything else; they just choose to dress sloppy. We have had folks at a very high priced steakhouse where the dress code says jacket and tie required seated at a table by us wearing velour tracksuit (4 sizes too small), cut off jeans and a wifebeater shirt. That is not right.

I am old enough so I remember when people, even kids got dressed up to go to a downtown movie. I owned a suit when I was 4. I realize those days are gone, but I also wonder if we have not gone too far the other way.

I do see hope for the future, though. I looked through literally dozens of websites of kids at their high school proms. Most all were dressed to the nines and looked fabulous.

So it looks like HAL is just making recommendations and stating what looks like formal clothing. Is that correct?

My plan for smart casual nights is black slacks and a short sleeve sweater. Also, I have a short sleeve blouse and a black casual skirt, which was what I wore on a Carnival cruise. So smart casual nights will not be a problem. I just wanted to know what people wear in the specialty restaurants on formal nights.

I am taking my first HAL cruise next month to Alaska on the Amsterdam and wanted to get a feel for what HAL and other cruisers consider "formal" wear. I'm in my 30's and am very fashion forward. I tend to purchase higher end clothing and ties don't often make an appearance in runway shows anymore - sport coats and tuxedos might as well be a death sentence for a designer. For formal night, would this suit featured at fashion week in Milan from Fendi for their spring/summer collection be fine for the MDR?

blue.jpg.ce6542395d6ca6cc7343af7f48594f57.jpg

So it looks like HAL is just making recommendations and stating what looks like formal clothing. Is that correct?

My plan for smart casual nights is black slacks and a short sleeve sweater. Also, I have a short sleeve blouse and a black casual skirt, which was what I wore on a Carnival cruise. So smart casual nights will not be a problem. I just wanted to know what people wear in the specialty restaurants on formal nights.

See my post # 17.

I know many say "just bring a jacket". And we probably will if we have to. But we really prefer not to as a 2 lb jacket in the luggage on a 3 week trip just further displaces luggage capability, especially for buying souvenirs during the trip and fitting them in the 50lb luggage limit to bring home.

Thanks.

It depends on the ship & the Dining Room Mgr. We've seen psgrs turned away at the door without a Jacket, have seen loaner jackets at the door, & have seen some seated without a jacket on different ships.. But those without a jacket are in the Minority..

Any time we have to fly, my DH wears his jacket on the plane.. BTW, DH is a tall man & his jacket does not weigh 2 lbs.. I would be amazed if it even weighed one lb.:rolleyes:

No jacket would be acceptable in Canaletto, but the Pinnacle has the same dress code as the MDR..

BTW do not mean to brag, but we are 4 star Mariners & have observed the same thing on 16 HAL cruises..

Edited by serendipity1499

It depends on the ship & the Dining Room Mgr. We've seen psgrs turned away at the door without a Jacket, have seen loaner jackets at the door, & have seen some seated without a jacket on different ships.. But those without a jacket are in the Minority..

Any time we have to fly, my DH wears his jacket on the plane.. BTW, DH is a tall man & his jacket does not weigh 2 lbs.. I would be amazed if it even weighed one lb.:rolleyes:

No jacket would be acceptable in Canaletto, but the Pinnacle has the same dress code as the MDR..

BTW do not mean to brag, but we are 4 star Mariners & have observed the same thing on 16 HAL cruises..

Thanks. I weighed my dinner jacket that I sometimes bring on my luggage scale and it came in at 1.8. Although that includes the fat hanger I usually leave it on. It's surprising how much clothes weigh. I never realized until we started packing for longer trips, and started swapping just a few items in and out to keep it under 50lbs.

We have thought about going shopping for "cruise jackets" - cheap, lighweight cotten jackets that we'd only use to satisfy the bare minimum to get us into the MDR on formal nights. We already did the same with dress shoes, as they can easily take up another 2lbs. We found some lightweight slip-ons that look semi-dressy that only weght 1lb. May need to do the same for jackets. It does get tiresome trying to figure out the minimum amount of "only to get into the MDR for 2 hours on a couple of formal nights" clothes we have to bring for every cruise. But the MDR meals and service aren't something we want to give up. Smart casual is our usual dress anyway, so most nights we don't need any extra "just to get in" clothes. It's just the formal nights that are a PITA.

Edited by dbsb3233

IFor formal night, would this suit featured at fashion week in Milan from Fendi for their spring/summer collection be fine for the MDR?

Formal night guidelines for a man call for a jacket and tie. Sadly, there are no guidelines stipulating the man has to look nice.

Formal night guidelines for a man call for a jacket and tie. Sadly, there are no guidelines stipulating the man has to look nice.

That's a very nasty comment.

Looking nice is in the eye of the beholder.