New Caribbean itinerarie?

schlot

It seems from what I've read, that Princess is limiting their number of ships out of Florida to 3. That being said is there a chance that their will be any different itineraries including stops in the Bahamas or Key West, or should I plan on looking at other lines to get there? Thanks.

The Caribbean Princess has a 7 day itinerary in 2016 out of Houston that stops in Key West, Freeport and Princess Cays (technically the Bahamas ;) ).

Edited by msmoger

If I understand correctly, Princess will not sail out of Bayport (Houston) after 2016. They have had many problems with fog, resulting in substantial late departures and early returns. In addition, while the terminal is fairly new and in great shape, it is undersized for modern cruise ships. Caribbean Princess guests often have to wait to board in a unairconditioned/unheated TENT!

Both Houston airports are at least 45 minutes from Bayport. That said, it IS convenient for those who drive to the port.

If I understand correctly, Princess will not sail out of Bayport (Houston) after 2016. They have had many problems with fog, resulting in substantial late departures and early returns. In addition, while the terminal is fairly new and in great shape, it is undersized for modern cruise ships. Caribbean Princess guests often have to wait to board in a unairconditioned/unheated TENT!

Both Houston airports are at least 45 minutes from Bayport. That said, it IS convenient for those who drive to the port.

We've sailed from Bayport several times. Never had to wait in a tent. Check in was quick and boarding started shortly thereafter leaving plenty of room in the terminal for the late comers.

On one of our sailings we had fog at both ends. Even on the fog cruises there was no tent even though boarding was delayed significantly.

We just booked a 7-day out of Ft. Lauderdale for 2016 that stops in the Dominican Republic, which is a new stop to us. They also offer a 7-day that stops in Antigua. We have stopped in Antigua on longer cruises, but never on a 7-day.

I would also be interested in a stop in Key West, but will not sail out of Houston again. Just too many issues weather (especially fog) closing the port and/or channel. But, that's just me. My tolerance for stress when I'm going on a 7-day cruise is admittedly low. ;)

Best of luck.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

We just booked a 7-day out of Ft. Lauderdale for 2016 that stops in the Dominican Republic, which is a new stop to us. They also offer a 7-day that stops in Antigua. We have stopped in Antigua on longer cruises, but never on a 7-day.

I would also be interested in a stop in Key West, but will not sail out of Houston again. Just too many issues weather (especially fog) closing the port and/or channel. But, that's just me. My tolerance for stress when I'm going on a 7-day cruise is admittedly low. ;)

Best of luck.

I've read about the fiasco that Bayport is too. With Carnival being in Galvenston would Princess look at using that port?

If you are interested in Key West or Bahamas you will need another cruise line. We are looking at the 8 day to the ABC islands & 4 sea days in 2016. ;)

That's what I was thinking. Trying avoid it but perhaps I will have to look at NCL or X.

The convenience of Ft. Lauderdale port being so close to the airport is a big plus.

I've read about the fiasco that Bayport is too. With Carnival being in Galvenston would Princess look at using that port?

Princess has already been there done that. They will be leaving Houston next year. Too many issues at both ports.

I've read about the fiasco that Bayport is too. With Carnival being in Galveston would Princess look at using that port?

Probably not.

Princess left Galveston the first time in 2007 due to competition. Basically three cruise lines all going to the same places with not enough passengers to keep prices high enough to be profitable.

The Bayport terminal was built with the idea that if it was built, the cruise lines would come. They did not.

Princess (and NCL) came to Bayport after the port made a deal where they paid Princess (and NCL) to sail from there. With the contract to pay Princess to use the port up, Princess will not be there in the fall of 2016.

And the competition in Galveston is still pretty tough.

In addition, while the terminal is fairly new and in great shape, it is undersized for modern cruise ships. Caribbean Princess guests often have to wait to board in a unairconditioned/unheated TENT!

Pictures of the inside of the undersized terminal.

891111004111114InsideBayportcruiseterminalDSC02367_zpsa710990d.jpg

890215002021514InsideBayportcruiseterminalDSC06011_zps22a7668a.jpg

And a picture of the undersized waiting room for suite and elite passengers.

890215%20003%2002.15.14%20Bayport%20cruise%20terminal%20Elite%20suite%20lounge%20DSC06012_zpswnd47alq.jpg

Princess has already been there done that. They will be leaving Houston next year. Too many issues at both ports.

To us the big issue is the length of time sailing on front and back end of the trip in relatively cool to cold weather in winter. When we go on a cruise or holiday in winter, we want warm to hot weather right away. FLL makes a big difference from Houston.

To us the big issue is the length of time sailing on front and back end of the trip in relatively cool to cold weather in winter. When we go on a cruise or holiday in winter, we want warm to hot weather right away. FLL makes a big difference from Houston.

Yes it is chilly, and it does take off a bunch of time.

Not to mention all the other weather possibilities.

Caribill - maybe my friends and I were unlucky. We did experience, along with many others, waiting to board in a tent. Not a very nice one either. The plywood floor was laid over mud, and so most everyone had pretty muddy shoes. Some of the older guests had trouble walking on the uneven surface.

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac232/MAYNARDS99/Bayport%20Terminal.jpg

Edited by HUNKY
Add photo

It seems from what I've read, that Princess is limiting their number of ships out of Florida to 3. That being said is there a chance that their will be any different itineraries including stops in the Bahamas or Key West, or should I plan on looking at other lines to get there? Thanks.

We always fly in, from Europe, a few days early and tend to pass those days down in Key West, so driving north to get on a ship which is going to take us back to Key West for half a day would be a turn-off for us.

We always fly in, from Europe, a few days early and tend to pass those days down in Key West, so driving north to get on a ship which is going to take us back to Key West for half a day would be a turn-off for us.

Key West is an excellent pre or post cruise destination for sure. :D