New to Oceania - any advice?

mocrimlaw

I think I saw somewhere that Oceania do not have anybody taking photos on their ships

I am wondering if Oceania do have someone taking photos of the cruise of which one can buy?

The last cruise we were on with another shipping company there were no photographers but we were given a memory stick of our cruise

Just wondering how many photos I need to take?

I think I saw somewhere that Oceania do not have anybody taking photos on their ships

I am wondering if Oceania do have someone taking photos of the cruise of which one can buy?

The last cruise we were on with another shipping company there were no photographers but we were given a memory stick of our cruise

Just wondering how many photos I need to take?

They used to sell a DVD of the cruise but have not noticed them recently or I just was not looking ;)

Take the photos you want to take but don't feel a need to photograph everything that moves. (Unless you want to.) I usually take views from our veranda, take some of the special dishes we order (before they've been eaten!), and so on, shots of our cabin. That kind of thing. If you want photos of yourselves on board, ask another passenger to "shoot" you with your camera. I can't imagine that anyone would refuse.

Since there isn't a staff photographer on board I don't recall anything like a memory stick or a video being available for purchase. Yes, we have seen them on other cruise lines ... but not Oceania.

Mura

(Lyn and I posted pretty close to simultaneously but our memories are the same. Like her, I wasn't looking! I just cannot imagine that they have anything available since there is no photographer taking pictures at every opportunity.)

Edited by Mura

Mura

several years ago they did have the Videographer taking photos around the ship, some of the shows & you could purchase the DVD at the end of the cruise

But have not noticed them in recent years

Yes, I remember those, Lyn. But it's a very long time since they had a photographer on board. I know that when we took our first cruise (with my mother) in 2004 that a photographer was on board. But I don't recall any after that time ...

It seems to me that the only way to do a memory stick or video is IF you have a photographer on board ... unless perhaps Oceania invited passengers to submit photos that could be distributed to others. THAT has certainly never happened on any of our cruises ...

I do remember how happy we all were when the photographer area (where photos were displayed) -- on Deck 5?? -- disappeared!

When we took an NCL cruise a few years ago I was a little tart with the photographer taking pix of all of us on our sailaway in NYC ... his comment was "it's a job". I couldn't argue with that!

Mura

Yes, I remember those, Lyn. But it's a very long time since they had a photographer on board. I know that when we took our first cruise (with my mother) in 2004 that a photographer was on board. But I don't recall any after that time ...

It seems to me that the only way to do a memory stick or video is IF you have a photographer on board ... unless perhaps Oceania invited passengers to submit photos that could be distributed to others. THAT has certainly never happened on any of our cruises ...

I do remember how happy we all were when the photographer area (where photos were displayed) -- on Deck 5?? -- disappeared!

When we took an NCL cruise a few years ago I was a little tart with the photographer taking pix of all of us on our sailaway in NYC ... his comment was "it's a job". I couldn't argue with that!

Mura

I do not think they were that intrusive after the first couple of years

I do remember the photo wall

We were on HAL in Nov & it was a pain getting on/off with them want photos of the happy passengers at each port ...had forgotten how nice it was on Oceania not to have that inconvenience ;)

Back to the regular chat :D

As of last February/March (on Marina) they were still offering a DVD for sale at the end of the cruise but it was very low pressure and not advertised well. It would have been easy to miss the announcement.

Not having a photographer on board is one of the many things I love about Oceania. I love eating dinner in peace and not having an annoying photographer asking me to pose for a picture, which is what happens on the larger cruise lines. And the prices that they charge for those pictures is ridiculous! I also love the quality of the food and the whole dining experience on Oceania.

I'm really surprised to see this. Certainly I wasn't aware that DVDs were available for our cruises in the last 5 years or more. Of course, I wasn't looking!

Mura

Guess I was not looking :D

Was it on the specific cruise you were on or a general one?

They have been available on all the Oceania cruise we've taken, the latest on our Marina 2014 cruise. I seem to remember seeing clips of it on the O channel in our cabin on the last few nites. It is not stock footage but shot discreetly during the cruise.

Edited by canuck.qc

The DVD has had shots of the O excursions with cruisers on that cruise.

There are some stock sections, but somehow those sections have perfect weather.

There have also been sections of ship activities and entertainment.

They have been available on all the Oceania cruise we've taken, the latest on our Marina 2014 cruise. I seem to remember seeing clips of it on the O channel in our cabin on the last few nites. It is not stock footage but shot discreetly during the cruise.

Interesting

Next cruise I must pay more attention :D

We just got off Nautica and they had a videographer, Currents had details on how to purchase the DVD. I think they mostly use stock footage, I only saw the video guy a few times.

I am sure a lot is stock footage but we also saw actual cruise footage as well.

One of the giveaways was a couple (they appeared in the video) who came up on deck in their bath robes. This was while we were viewing the Hubbard Glacier. :eek:They did not stay on deck long:)

Lol -perhaps the makings of the next hit reality tv show?