Non-Indian or less spicy Vegetarian options?

Jenniell

My 9 year old daughter decided as of 3 days ago she is a vegetarian. We sail in 13 days. While this makes me feel infinitely less guilty about her not joining us at the steakhouse it does make me ponder about the dining room. Most of the vegetarian options are Indian and will I fear be too spicy for her. So spice ranking 1-5 how is it and are there other options?

I would think she could just order from the vegetable section of the regular MDR menu. In my opionion, most of the Indian food is plenty spicy. Seems like there are also lots of options on the buffet and the other venues on the Lido.

The waitstaff will be able to tell her which Indian vegetarian dishes are spicy and make suggestions for her. Seems like there is usually a pasta dish that can be vegetarian or have protein added on top which they can easily leave off. Otherwise, she may be having a lot of her meals on the buffet. The mushroom pizza is delightful, I order quattro fromaggio with mushrooms regularly, if she is still eating dairy. However, at the age of 9, 10 days without meat may change her mind. If she is not getting a lot of protein added to her diet in the next 10 days, she may be too tired to complain. My 10 year old grandson tried this out as well, but only lasted a few days when he discovered that vegetable proteins are, in his words, "gross". So he bellyed up to the Guy's burgers by cruise time.

Edited by isaiahsnana

That's what I was afraid of with the Indian food. She's a Texas girl so she has no issues with jalapeños but Indian food is quite a bit hotter. I'm not worried too much about the eating on lido, just the MDR. She enjoys getting dressed up for dinner every night. I just wanted to make sure there were some options when she gets there.

Lol Isaiahsnana. I'm thinking the same thing. I thought it would be over the moment she realized that bacon was out. but I'm sure if I were to voice that to her she will do it even longer just to prove me wrong. Then again if she's serious and going to stay with it I'm going to support her.

She can always get vegetarian spring rolls and a veggie plate (think, mac and cheese, baked potato with sour cream, etch). Cheese plate, etch for protein.

I would imagine most of the cream soups are also vegetarian. Beans and tofu off the lido salad bar, etc. Should be pasta options with mushrooms, etc. Veggie omelet for breakfast, she should be able to get plenty of protein.

Edited by bargainsniper

Most of the Indian on the MDR dinner menu isn't hot spicy. There are some chilis on the plate that are spicy. What ship? We found many non- spicy things at the Splendor's Tandoor. The pineapple chutney is very good ver the soft serve.

The spiciest vegetarian meal on Carnival has been the Chili Relleno. The chili they use isn't the same one we use in SoCal.

The biggest (funniest) issue with the Indian entree is that it arrives on two plates. I place the oval bowls (rice etc) around the one plate. The empty plate either goes back to the waiter right away or stacked underneath.

Edited by SadieN

I am a vegetarian as well and there will be plenty of appetizers that are vegetarian like salads, fruit and soups! I usually order two plus she can always ask for a baked potato or Mac n cheese. There is also usually a pasta dish she can get meatless and they do also have a tofu dish but it's not very good, I do wish they had other options than spicy Indian! She won't starve though if she's still hungry after dinner the veggie piazza is very good!

I didn't find the Indian food in the MDR spicy.

There is also usually another vegetarian option - like lasagna, stuffed pepper, enchilada's, polenta, stuff like that. There is also macaroni and cheese on the kids menu or cheese pizza or they can do a plain pasta with butter and cheese.

On the "old" menus (not the American table), there are also vegetarian spring rolls as an appetizer every night. You can also order sides of vegetables and potatoes. There are many soups that are probably vegetarian (you'll just need to check what kind of soup stock they use).

Both my 2 year old son and I are vegetarians and have always eaten great food on Carnival. I included detailed reviews (with photos) of all vegetarian dishes in my reviews. The links are available in my signature. I LOVED the Indian and didn't find it very spicy, but if she doesn't like that, there are plenty of other great choices (including cheese pizza and pasta from the kid's menu if all else fails). Have a great trip!

I found the Indian on the ship to be very mild, but there is usually another vegetarian option on the menu.

Is be careful about asking to just leave a protein off, as the meals may be cross contaminated or cooked with animal fats (but as a new vegetarian her stomach probably could still handle it. Later on it may make her sick)

The Indian Vegetarian comes with rice and three "nightly" dishes that usually are not too spicy. They bring a spicy condiment on the side but you don't have to use that.

There is usually a salad available plus the fresh fruit plate. Lots of nights have pasta, soup, baked potato or a fish meal if she wants to try that.

Speak to the waiters and the head hostess to make a plan for the next evening. I am sure they would bring her pasta and marina every night if that is what she wanted!

There are tons of items on the buffet. Let her figure out what she likes and realize that when on vacation sometimes you can relax the rules!

I am a vegetarian and did not enjoy the Indian entrees. It seemed to me that they were left overs from the tandoor, vegetables were mushy. I had the late dinner, so I would go to Lido first and have a nice salad, then dinner. If there was nothing appealing to me, I would order a baked potato and steamed vegetables. They were always good. There are more options on the buffet but I did enjoy having dinner with my tablemates. She won't go hungry, good luck! Also be careful- I asked the waiter, Is the soup vegetarian? He says Yes. Then, I ask is there chicken stock in the soup? He says yes.

On the breeze there was always 1 vegetarian option plus the Indian veggie option, so there were always at least 2 entrees to pick from. I believe on the Glory as well. Have you checked the menus on zydocruiser? She won't go hungry, that's for sure.

My 9 year old daughter decided as of 3 days ago she is a vegetarian. We sail in 13 days. While this makes me feel infinitely less guilty about her not joining us at the steakhouse it does make me ponder about the dining room. Most of the vegetarian options are Indian and will I fear be too spicy for her. So spice ranking 1-5 how is it and are there other options?

She's 9 years old. Will she still be a vegetarian in 13 days?

She's 9 years old. Will she still be a vegetarian in 13 days?

My thoughts too:D Let her do her veggie thing, but see it fall by the wayside when her friends want her to go to McDonalds with them, or pass up the turkey at Thanksgiving. She might become dedicated, who knows?

My thoughts too:D Let her do her veggie thing, but see it fall by the wayside when her friends want her to go to McDonalds with them, or pass up the turkey at Thanksgiving. She might become dedicated, who knows?

That's what we thought as well. I figured it would be over the moment she realized there was not going to be any bacon for our Saturday morning omelets. We don't have any close friends or family who are vegetarians so we weren't sure exactly where this came from. She has far more drive and resolve than her father or I ever had at her age. This might last a few more days or it could be a permanent change. Who knows? But I figure it's always better to support her instead of write it off as a phase. If only I could get her as passionate about cleaning her room...

Add me to the list that did not find the Indian vegetarian options spicy either.

They are actually super delicious in my opinion and would be a great way to intro into eating different ethnic foods.

You could also tell the waiter that the order is for a child and they may be able to add a little bit more yogurt to any item in order to cool the minimal spicy level.

PS: If she can handle tex-mex foods, then she will be fine and will probably love the Indian food.

If she finds something is too spicy in the Indian, have her take a taste of the riata, the yogurt sauce. It cools the mouth down instantly.

Edited by SadieN

Just tell your waiter in the MDR. He or she will be happy to accommodate your DD.

The Indian veggie dish was not spicy at all...but I do live in the UK. :)

From memory a lot of veggies options were Mediterranean inspired and very tasty too. I particularly enjoyed the Spanakopitas and the stuffed/baked aubergine (eggplant) and I am not a veggie.

Lol Isaiahsnana. I'm thinking the same thing. I thought it would be over the moment she realized that bacon was out. but I'm sure if I were to voice that to her she will do it even longer just to prove me wrong. Then again if she's serious and going to stay with it I'm going to support her.

Exactly, we cooperated with my grandson and provided an appropriate amount of protein for him but continued to serve his younger brothers their usual meals as well as our own. Never said a word. Problem solved itself by cruise time.