First P&O Cruise 19 July - Advice needed

Dwalkerdave

Dear all

If you could give me one tip or tell me one thing I must do on a 7 night cruise what would it be ?

Thanks

Research your ports of call, decide what you most want to see to make the most of your time, decide how you want to achieve that (ship's trips, private tours/taxis, DiY) weighing up the pro's and con's and practicalities then ask for advice from others who have visited these destinations to get the benefit of any tips or advice.

Happy planning!

(I may have misinterpreted your post and you are looking for P&O specific advice - if so, I'm sure others will have some ideas on that.)

Edited by kruzseeka

I know you only asked for one tip, but I have three:

Make the most of every day, it will be over before you know it.

Try the cocktail of the day - every day!

Slightly contradicts the first tip but... don't be afraid to do nothing. There can be so much going on on board, I think you sometimes end up feeling you have to do it/try it all. I know I did on our return to cruising after a gap of many years. It's OK to just sit with a coffee or beer, read a book or newspaper, snooze or watch the world go by.

Most of all, have a fabulous time.

There's a couple of free bottles of water in the fridge. When you've finished, refill them in the shower room and put them back in the fridge...the chlorine taste will dissipate. Ship's water is very pure, but cannot run cold.

As has been said do research on ports, if you see an excursion you fancy, remember you don't have to do the ships one, it is nearly always cheaper to "Do it yourself" For example in Stavanger Norway the trip to "Pulpit Rock" was £70 each with the ship. A short walk (About 5 minutes) we did the self same trip for £36 each. The same applies in Flam Norway for the Train ride into the mountains. The only word of caution is make sure you give yourself plenty of time, if you are late back the ship will sail without you. With ships excursions if you are delayed the ship will wait.

Also if you have several batteries to charge, (Phones, Cameras, tablets) it's good to take an extension lead with you with several sockets on it. Do make sure you don't leave them unattended though as it's against P&Os rules.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a fabulous time and will soon be booking again. :):)

Go the Spa and use the scales as soon as you get onboard and then weigh yourself on the day before departure. There is absolutely no need to be gluttonous; eat carefully and eat well and you won't have to moan about how much weight you have put on when you get home.

Get up early (before 7am) on a sea day and take a walk along the Prom deck. So beautiful peaceful and serene it's one of the things I love about cruising.

A couple of days in to the cruise, take a look at the ships deck plans, just to see if you have been everywhere.

Enjoy you first cruise :)

Eat breakfast in the main dining room as the buffets tend to be chaos, a much more chilled and relaxing experience, lots of choice and you don't have to have everything in the full English - you can mix and match

I think the op has already sailed

Eat breakfast in the main dining room as the buffets tend to be chaos, a much more chilled and relaxing experience, lots of choice and you don't have to have everything in the full English - you can mix and match

Absolutely agree.

The same with lunch, there is no need to have the advertised three course meal, but you can just have one element.

As for mixing and matching, on my last cruise there was a "done thousands of cruises, and they are not like they used to be" type moaning about the plated dinner service, and how you didn't get a choice of vegetables.

The look of horror on his face when I mentioned that you could just see what vegetables accompanied other dishes on the menu, and ask the waiter for your meal to be served with them instead. "You can't do that" they spluttered, suddenly realising that of course you can...

Mind you he would have probably fainted at the actions of a dining companion one evening, when they decided they would rather have two starters rather than a starter and the soup.