Finally booked an aft

Well, after reading many posts regarding aft cabins, we finally decided to give them a try. Just booked 2 corner afts (7388 and 7688) on deck 7 of the Explorer for Alaska next summer. After looking at pictures and watching videos, we decided the corner balconies looked to be the best. Rather than book 2 afts beside each other we took both corners of deck 7. Our children still like the idea of looking down at the water, so they are in the D3 cabins close to ours. Hope we will love them!

We are looking forward to our first aft at Christmas.

Having been to Alaska, I can tell you that you will have the best wake view when you are sailing out of the fjords after viewing the glacier.

Well, after reading many posts regarding aft cabins, we finally decided to give them a try. Just booked 2 corner afts (7388 and 7688) on deck 7 of the Explorer for Alaska next summer.

Those are the two best aft cabins in my opinion. I can't imagine a better balcony for Alaska! Great views and cover for the inevitable rain you will experience while sailing in Alaska. Good job!

I think I would have booked side by side....having 1 corner aft is large enough to share with your entire party....having the balcony next to it would have been VERY convenient.

Not so much - dividers on ExOS don't open, so wouldn't really add much in the way of convenience:)

To the OP - had 7688 on ExOS in 2011 and loved it! After about 10 minutes you don't even see the superstructure any more! Have 7688 booked on NOS for 2017 (have done the corner on deck 9 and it was okay, but not as good:p). Enjoy your trip!

Well, after reading many posts regarding aft cabins, we finally decided to give them a try. Just booked 2 corner afts (7388 and 7688) on deck 7 of the Explorer for Alaska next summer. After looking at pictures and watching videos, we decided the corner balconies looked to be the best. Rather than book 2 afts beside each other we took both corners of deck 7. Our children still like the idea of looking down at the water, so they are in the D3 cabins close to ours. Hope we will love them!

We had 7388 (Navigator, sister ship) on a transatlantic and LOVED it! Just F.Y.I….in case you want to consider a hammock, you can see DH enjoying that huge balcony below! This is the balcony of 7388 on Navigator - should be the same on Explorer, and 7688 will be the same size on the port side. Enjoy that great balcony!!

Judy

Nav7388balcony.jpg

Thanks for all the positive feedback. The picture with the hammock looked amazing.

Now we wait!!! I am curious to hear your comments on the view from 7390 and 7690. We debated and debated as to whether the obstructions would make it hard to get good pictures from the balcony. We were not sure, so decided to take the 2 corner afts. We will leave the reservation the same, but would love to hear your comments. THANKS!

I, too, have cabin 7388 on the Explorer booked for our cruise to Alaska in July of 2016. Really excited about it. Had a corner aft on deck 10 the last time on Explorer to Bremuda. Love those afts.

For those who have had the cabin, is the stateroom any larger then the standard E cabins? Not that it matters. It is just the two of us; we booked it because of the balcony, not the room size.

Awesome choice! We had 7388 on the Adventure last September and absolutely loved it. I think I spent more time on the balcony than I did in the cabin. We've got 7388 on the Navigator booked for September 2016 and cant wait :D

When we had cabin #7688 on the Explorer a couple years ago, I did spend more time on the balcony than the cabin. Just a normal cabin, but the balcony more than made up for it. I would get awake in the middle of the night and go out and sit for a while. Just loved it.

You made the right choice. Enjoy.

Gwen :)

We are very excited about the aft cabin, but have to say that I am concerned my mother and father in law will not like it as much as a side balcony. I am wondering if the vibration and motion is much more noticeable in the back? I talked them into giving an aft a try, so I just want them to be happy. I am a people pleaser. We will be on deck 7. THANKS!

We are very excited about the aft cabin, but have to say that I am concerned my mother and father in law will not like it as much as a side balcony. I am wondering if the vibration and motion is much more noticeable in the back? I talked them into giving an aft a try, so I just want them to be happy. I am a people pleaser. We will be on deck 7. THANKS!

We did not notice a huge difference in motion, but we did notice vibration, especially when the ship was manuvering near the dock.

We did not notice a huge difference in motion, but we did notice vibration, especially when the ship was manuvering near the dock.

Thanks Bob! Would you say it was enough vibration to deter you from the aft in the future? I have been reading some negatives about Explorer since dry dock in regard to over crowding and motion. It takes a lot to rattle me, so I know my Alaskan cruise will be amazing next summer, but as I stated previously, I want everyone else in our party to be happy. THANKS!

Thanks Bob! Would you say it was enough vibration to deter you from the aft in the future? I have been reading some negatives about Explorer since dry dock in regard to over crowding and motion. It takes a lot to rattle me, so I know my Alaskan cruise will be amazing next summer, but as I stated previously, I want everyone else in our party to be happy. THANKS!

I don't really enjoy the aft staterooms that much. Their big attraction is the huge balcony, and that's not a big enough draw for me to overcome the long walk back to the stateroom. In other words, the vibration is just another negative to me, in addition to the long walk, either of which deters me from getting an aft stateroom.

We always book an aft room when we can. We spend a lot of time on our balcony so we want it to be large enough for the lounge chairs.

We don't mind the vibration at all, in fact hardly notice it.

And as for the long walk to the room I consider it walking off some of those calories I will eat:). If you have any mobility issues then it could be a problem.

Have a great cruise.

We first experienced an aft balcony on our cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. The ship picked up a seriously large amount of fishing net on the propeller beneath us which caused more vibration than usual. It was still the most awesome cabin we have ever had. Loved it.