Driving in maui

Roziewear

Is it easy enough to drive around Maui and find points of interest? We don't want to do road to Hana again or Haleakala.

Yes, it is fairly easy to drive on Maui as well as all the Islands with the exception of Honolulu. However, the traffic can be heavy and they do have a rush hour. Since all roads on Maui (outside the cities) are two-lane, expect some delays to varying degrees. I have driven nearly every main road on the four most popular Islands (there are a few exceptions), and never really had any problem. One thing nice about driving on an island is that the main roads either go all the way around, or just dead ends then you just turn around. You can also buy the book "Maui Revealed" and it gives excellent instructions all over the Island(s). I have not checked recently, so I am not sure that the "Revealed" books are still being published for all the Islands. Excellent books to have with you, and to plan/research, before leaving home.

ABSOLUTELY!

I am a 68 year old woman, took my daughter and granddaughter to Maui for 7 days. I drove all over the island. We didn't go to Hana or Haleakala. We did find a Lavender Farm (near the bottom of Haleakala) and a lovely golf resort (with a nice restaurant)right on the main road. The Maui Tropical Plantation (there is a free portion to walk around, as well as a pay portion in a tram, and even ziplines).

We stayed at a smaller/older traditional Hawaiian hotel on Kaanapali Beach. Traffic can be heavy sometimes, but no problem finding the different locations/sites we wanted to visit. And parking in Lahaina was sometimes difficult.

We didn't want to leave Maui, even after 7 days!

Maui is very, very easy to driver, as well as all the other islands. Mostly one main road. If you are at all worried, rent a GPS from the rental company.

Now for the age old question, why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?? :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Now for the age old question, why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?? :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len[/size][/font]

+1.

You made us smile.

Undoubtedly to get federal money. ;)

There's a stretch along the very isolated southern end of Maui that is a single lane road like the bridges along the RTH. Federal funds require 2-lane bridges so over this isolated gulch is a 2-lane bridge that connects a single lane road...more illogical government regulations. :p

Now for the age old question, why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?? :D:D:D:D Len

Aloha :D

Same reason there are interstate highways in Alaska (49th state)! Plus in Hawaii, we have menehune drivers that can hold their breaths for a really long time driving on special menehune only roads!

Aloha :D

• 3 weeks later...
Is it easy enough to drive around Maui and find points of interest? We don't want to do road to Hana again or Haleakala.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Book a Mustang convertible and drive to anywhere you would like to go! We did, and drove to Lahaina for a whale watching tour, sightseeing and lunch before turning the car back in at the airport. Thrifty will shuttle you to/from the port for free.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Book a Mustang convertible and drive to anywhere you would like to go! We did, and drove to Lahaina for a whale watching tour, sightseeing and lunch before turning the car back in at the airport. Thrifty will shuttle you to/from the port for free.

I am thinking of the beach, lahaina, sight seeing etc

Just wondering what is on route to stop off

Where could I get a route map for this area?

tanks

I am thinking of the beach, lahaina, sight seeing etc

Just wondering what is on route to stop off

Where could I get a route map for this area?

tanks

The Hawaii Visitor's Bureau website has a lot of useful info:

http://www.gohawaii.com/en/

The free "This Week in" series for each island shows maps at the end of the brochure & here's the Maui version:

http://thisweekhawaii.com/maui/

You can also search online for maps of each island.

We printed off some Google maps. Also, if you rent a car you'll get a pretty decent map from the rental agency.

I don't know if you are arriving by ship or plane but the above info is spot on. I usually recommend This Week, which Astro Flyer has recommended, and AAA. If you are a member of AAA they offer maps and guide books free of charge for the islands. You might also post a question on Trip Advisor re recommendations for your day...best beaches, etc., Have fun. Cherie