Refunding prepaid DSC onboard

triptastic

hi,

My question is, if I prepay my DSC prior to my trip and have a service issue, what are the chances of having my DSC adjusted? The only reason I ask is because as these charges increase, I really question how they can justify almost $100 CAD daily ( 2 small kids and 2 adults) when I will hardly be on the boat. I am going on a Med cruise next year for 12 days. These charges seem rather steep now! I am not looking to pay less in the DSC, I only want to know if that I am covered in the event of dissatisfaction?

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to figure out your math. Are you saying you will pay 700 dollars service charge for the week. That's 100 dollars a day. Where are you coming up with this

I am trying to figure out your math. Are you saying you will pay 700 dollars service charge for the week. That's 100 dollars a day. Where are you coming up with this

Well your math is right but I am trying to figure out your reading skills lol...

Clearly OP made an error in their calculations ($100CAD a day) we all know that but clearly your reading skills are sub par also considering the original post the OP made that you quoted states 12 days..

Rather then a jab to op that you did "I am trying to figure out your math" why did you not let the op know they made an error and list the daily fee for 4 people???? Bet you don't like it that I commented on your reading skills huh? so dont do it to the OP!

Edited by jb456

Well your math is right but I am trying to figure out your reading skills lol...

Clearly OP made an error in their calculations ($100CAD a day) we all know that but clearly your reading skills are sub par also considering the original post the OP made that you quoted states 12 days..

Rather then a jab to op that you did "I am trying to figure out your math" why did you not let the op know they made an error and list the daily fee for 4 people???? Bet you don't like it that I commented on your reading skills huh? so dont do it to the OP!

And in turn, you just did it to someone else...and so it goes....

This is a topic which you will never reach a consensus on; but the charge is there and you can remove it if you think it's unjustified.

If DSC makes the crew happy, makes the company run profitably and continues my cruising pleasure than I am happy to pay it. That's just my take on it.

I used to enjoy taking a flight without having to worry about baggage charges, check in charges, terms and conditions etc but the majority of people wish to have these items broken down and a cheap base fare.

I don't use the body cream in the cabin, so can I have a %age refund on my cruise fare, or at least an extra chocolate each night?

Question -

A port day. A family of 4 wake up - get right off the ship - eat breakfast in port, spend the day in port, eat an early supper in port, get back on the ship, go straight to their room to put young ones down, sit on the balcony for a couple of hours then go to bed. Does that justify paying $34 in tips for the day? When the room staff get like $3 a day out of the $13.50?

You're right. It doesn't make sense to pay $13.50 for a service gratuity charge when you make little use of the services during a full day in port. Just as it doesn't make sense to pay only $13.50 on a day when you dine out three times, have your room made up twice, and have an army of personnel ensuring your trip is a pleasurable one. That's why cruise lines average it out to a daily charge for simplicity.

As an alternative, I suppose the cruise lines could charge $0.75 per hour that you're on the ship? Even that wouldn't be completely fair - as while you're off snuggling up to a dolphin there's many people back on board working hard to make sure you return to a beautiful room and ship.

You're right. It doesn't make sense to pay $13.50 for a service gratuity charge when you make little use of the services during a full day in port. Just as it doesn't make sense to pay only $13.50 on a day when you dine out three times, have your room made up twice, and have an army of personnel ensuring your trip is a pleasurable one. That's why cruise lines average it out to a daily charge for simplicity.

As an alternative, I suppose the cruise lines could charge $0.75 per hour that you're on the ship? Even that wouldn't be completely fair - as while you're off snuggling up to a dolphin there's many people back on board working hard to make sure you return to a beautiful room and ship.

In other words: You don't know the answer for OP.

While you are at the Guest Services please book to go on the Behind The Scenes tour so you can tip everyone you see during the tour - make sure you bring around $150 worth of one dollar bills.

There are just so many people behind the scenes that help make the cruise.

I've really had enough of this nonsense, the same holds true for every hotel, restsaurant, service industry and no one on this board ever tips those people away from the cruise industry.

Folks, stop being brainwashed sheep, the cruise industry has sold you a bill of goods that is their own making. Whether they pay those behind the scenes people fairly or not is not anyones business. If we stopped listen to this bull, refused to pay it, it would be added to the fare where it all belongs anyway

If cruise lines had the "best interest" in guests they would devise a better system for gratuities. Instead they blindly steal from guests.

Example - If a family of 4 are on a 10 night cruise and only eat at the dinning room 4 times they should not be charged the portion of dinning room gratuities ($5pp daily or wtv the amount is) for the other nights. Cruise line would rather steal $120 from that family for a service they did not even use on particular nights!! And you want me to care about the behind the scene assistant trainer 3rd level worker getting a tip when the cruise line is taking advantage? HAH dont think so :)

Could be a simple process as in the waiter scans your cruise card when eating in the dinning room. The days the card is not scanned in the dinning room the system automatically removes that portion of the gratuities.

But you see cruise lines don't implement anything in their system like that because they DO NOT have you the consumers best interest in mind. All they want is to take your money.

Till they diverse a better system I will continue tipping in cash.

Don't like it -- don't cruise. It has been that way for years.

I've really had enough of this nonsense, the same holds true for every hotel, restsaurant, service industry and no one on this board ever tips those people away from the cruise industry.

Folks, stop being brainwashed sheep, the cruise industry has sold you a bill of goods that is their own making. Whether they pay those behind the scenes people fairly or not is not anyones business. If we stopped listen to this bull, refused to pay it, it would be added to the fare where it all belongs anyway

Many times when you leave a tip in a land based establishment the recipient tips out to those working behind the scenes as this is an accepted industry practice (not a universal one but still an accepted practice). I leave my tip and don't worry about who it may or may not be shared with, same as I leave the service charge in place.

I will revert back to my other question I posted above that no one seemed to want to answer........

Question -

A port day. A family of 4 wake up - get right off the ship - eat breakfast in port, spend the day in port, eat an early supper in port, get back on the ship, go straight to their room to put young ones down, sit on the balcony for a couple of hours then go to bed. Does that justify paying $34 in tips for the day? When the room staff get like $3 a day out of the $13.50?

You don't pay any tips, you pay a daily service charge. Being on the ship at all justifies the specified amount, so to answer your question ,

Yes - $34 is justified.

You don't pay any tips, you pay a daily service charge. Being on the ship at all justifies the specified amount, so to answer your question ,

Yes - $34 is justified.

Another thread asks the question: What justifies these increases? Do you have an answer for that either? You like to tell people what to do with their money but you never seem able to point to a reason why something is suddenly worth an increased charge.

Another thread asks the question: What justifies these increases? Do you have an answer for that either? You like to tell people what to do with their money but you never seem able to point to a reason why something is suddenly worth an increased charge.

My guess is they are trying to attract better staff by being able to pay them more, but since I don't have a seat in the board room I can't say for sure. Of course only time will tell if that strategy works.

Thank you to those who helpfully replied. I did get my answer from your responses.

As a new user of this board, I really find some of you to be very helpful. I appreciate those who can answer a question and stay on topic.

Regards