How early does embarkation start in Boston?

We've been to Boston as a port stop several times in the past, but we've never embarked there, so I'm not sure how things work. We're embarking on Veendam in Aug 29. Maasdam will be there, too. (Liberty of the Seas will be there somewhere, but only as a stop, not an embarkation)

Our docs say embarkation at 1 PM, but I want to board as early as possible, so there's a chance to get to the maître d' and have a hope of changing our dining time. If we board at 1, it will be way too late, plus we'd miss the embarkation lunch.

So how early do they start embarkation? We won't have any high-star priority or suite priority. Will bus groups jump the queue, making us wait a long time?

With two ships, do people from both ships go through security together before separating for check-in as in Vancouver, or are the two groups of passengers separated from the start, as they do in NYC?

Finally, how long does the typical embarkation process take in Boston? DH doesn't do well with standing for a long time. I worry about him passing out, but he resists the idea of a wheelchair for embarkation.

There are 2 separate (but attached) terminals in Boston. The one on the sea side appears to be very primitive, and I expect you will get the one closest to town.

When I was on the Veendam, I arrived probably 10:45. According to my blog checkin was "disorganized but quick" and was completed. There's an upper level waiting with ample seating for a ship the size of the Maasdam.

On my cruise boarding began at 11:30. That would be for suites and 4 and 5 star Mariners. I was in general group 4 and boarded at 11:45.

Roy

As is true in most ports, HAL typically starts embarkation about 11:30 in Boston. People board i groups, based on when they checked in, so if you were to arrive by 11:00, you should be able to get to lunch in plenty of time.

Once your DH uses wheelchair assistance just for boarding, he will be a convert. Getting from the car, to the check-in, then boarding to get to your cabin, can be draining.

Please do try to convince him to try it "just once".

For our July 4, Maasdam cruise we arrived at the port around 10:45. The Veendam was also embarking. We each had our own luggage drop and check in area. We were checked in, waiting in chairs 15 mins. later. We did not encounter a line up. We boarded at 11:30

Laurie

No -- the bus groups do not get to jump ahead of anyone else.

We get there by 10:45 and check-in -- do the security bit and then sit down upstairs and wait.

Unless something has gone wrong, boarding begins around 11:30. HAL tries to have the cabins ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry-ons and do whatever you want to do.

As is true in most ports, HAL typically starts embarkation about 11:30 in Boston. People board i groups, based on when they checked in, so if you were to arrive by 11:00, you should be able to get to lunch in plenty of time.

Once your DH uses wheelchair assistance just for boarding, he will be a convert. Getting from the car, to the check-in, then boarding to get to your cabin, can be draining.

Please do try to convince him to try it "just once".

The reason he feels funny about requesting a wheelchair is that the only issue is standing. He can walk all day. The issue is episodes of low blood pressure caused by standing for prolonged times. "Orthostaticic hypotension" if you want the formal term. So taking a wheelchair just in case he gets faint (it doesn't always happen) seems greedy when they wheelchairs are needed by people who can't walk the distance.

It sounds like the processing is quick and then there's room to sit and wait. If so, he's OK with that.

There are 2 separate (but attached) terminals in Boston. The one on the sea side appears to be very primitive, and I expect you will get the one closest to town.

When I was on the Veendam, I arrived probably 10:45. According to my blog checkin was "disorganized but quick" and was completed. There's an upper level waiting with ample seating for a ship the size of the Maasdam.

On my cruise boarding began at 11:30. That would be for suites and 4 and 5 star Mariners. I was in general group 4 and boarded at 11:45.

Roy

I'm having trouble picturing what you describe as city vs sea side. We were there recently for a port stop at Black Falcon, the end nearest the Summer St Bridge. We were only on the ground floor, which was just an empty space, no food/drink places, no shops, no sitting areas. IFrom the ship, I could see that there is an upstairs area, but have no idea what it's like.

The reason he feels funny about requesting a wheelchair is that the only issue is standing. He can walk all day. The issue is episodes of low blood pressure caused by standing for prolonged times. "Orthostaticic hypotension" if you want the formal term. So taking a wheelchair just in case he gets faint (it doesn't always happen) seems greedy when they wheelchairs are needed by people who can't walk the distance.

It sounds like the processing is quick and then there's room to sit and wait. If so, he's OK with that.

My problem is also with standing. I got one of those foldable canes that has a seat. Don't know if that would be sturdy enough if he feels faint, but the thing really came in handy on our last trip. When you don't have orthopedic problems, you don't realize how much time is actually spent waiting in line or standing for a guide to speak.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I'm having trouble picturing what you describe as city vs sea side. We were there recently for a port stop at Black Falcon, the end nearest the Summer St Bridge. We were only on the ground floor, which was just an empty space, no food/drink places, no shops, no sitting areas. IFrom the ship, I could see that there is an upstairs area, but have no idea what it's like.

I'm not quite sure how to clarify this, but I'll try to attach a little diagram and hope it's legible. At Black Falcon when there are 2 ships they sit one behind the other, and today the Maasdam (blue icon) is nearest the city (city side) while the berth for a second ship is on the way out to sea.

If you really were at the berth closest to Summer Street, I'm surprised that you saw an empty room. I've been to Black Falcon 3 times, twice on port calls and used the second berth, and once boarding the Veendam at the Summer street end. It may be that on port calls there's a second entrance that goes straight through an undeveloped area and is a bit more direct than the checkin route. If so, you missed the second floor which should have ample seating while you wait.

I expect that on August 29 you will be where the Maasdam is today and the Liberty will be in the second berth. There should be adequate seating, but if not somebody should be able to get DH a wheelchair on the spot. Sometimes I've had an extended wait on HAL while suites and high star mariners went first, but not in Boston.

Untitled.jpg.f81e575934d084d59b714c1e2de9714b.jpg

If you click on the image you should get a bigger version.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I'm not quite sure how to clarify this, but I'll try to attach a little diagram and hope it's legible. At Black Falcon when there are 2 ships they sit one behind the other, and today the Maasdam (blue icon) is nearest the city (city side) while the berth for a second ship is on the way out to sea.

If you really were at the berth closest to Summer Street, I'm surprised that you saw an empty room. I've been to Black Falcon 3 times, twice on port calls and used the second berth, and once boarding the Veendam at the Summer street end. It may be that on port calls there's a second entrance that goes straight through an undeveloped area and is a bit more direct than the checkin route. If so, you missed the second floor which should have ample seating while you wait.

I expect that on August 29 you will be where the Maasdam is today and the Liberty will be in the second berth. There should be adequate seating, but if not somebody should be able to get DH a wheelchair on the spot. Sometimes I've had an extended wait on HAL while suites and high star mariners went first, but not in Boston.

[ATTACH]356330[/ATTACH]

If you click on the image you should get a bigger version.

Roy

Thanks, Roy. We were definitely in the berth to the left/west of the one you show. If you look at Googlemap satellite image there's a very large ship in the position we were in. We were on Queen Mary 2, and as we walked back, her bow was visible to the right of the design and terminal buildings.

Veendam and Maasdam will be embarking passengers. Liberty is just a port call, but it will still be a busy morning!

Oops. Somehow I missed the fact that there would be 3 ships in Boston that day and I have no idea how that can work. I'm pretty sure Maasdam and Veendam will have the 2 regular berths. I think Liberty likely can dock to the east of the HAL ships and just deposit passengers on the dock but really don't know. I've never embarked at that second berth and I have no idea what the facilities are like there.

Roy