Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii

pritbrit

I will be sailing on the Spirit in two weeks and was just wondering if anyone has taken the NCL excursion from Naples to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii? I was trying to find a private one but it seems that none really go to Capri and Pompeii on the same day. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Check the Italy boards as this question is asked there a lot. The consensus seems to be while possible to do it in one day it is not recommended as you spend a lot of time running to catch transportation from one place to the other. You can do it yourself by catching the ferry near the cruise terminal to Capri and then to Sorrreto and a taxi/ train back via Pompeii ( or the reverse, which I think is better).

For piece of mind go with the cruise line or eliminate a stop. I did Pompeii and Sorrento only and took all day with limited time in Sorrento using the train as the ferry time was limited in winter when I went. If you squeeze in Capri you don't really get to see much.

Happy planning.

It will be very hot this time of year at Pompeii . We have made that cruise several times and trying to do both places will not allow you to enjoy either .

If you decide on Pompeii , take the morning train and gather 10 total tourists. You can then put together a group with one of the many guides out front, around 10 euro each . The tour will go until noon . Then board the train to sorrento and have lunch and shop, and enjoy the scenery . Take the ferry back to port.

Or just take the ferry to Capri (go up to Ana Capri first ) and spend the day on the island .

2 very different experiences , both lovely days to remember .

You will get details for each itinerary at the Italy boards.

These are very DIY friendly with Capri being the easiest. Have a wonderful time .

I have been to Pompeii twice and Capri once, as well as Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. There is a lot to see in the area and one day is not enough.

If you cannot find a tour you like, organize your own. Romeinlimo is a good company.

I cannot imagine doing all this in a single day. We spent 3 days at Capri and a full day at Pompeii, followed by a partial day at Sorrento. I can't imagine squishing these into one day. That said, if that is your only opportunity to experience these, none should be missed, so do what you can to try to see them all.

We did the Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii tour through NCL last April. It is a very busy day but we never felt rushed. Overall I would say it is a good tour for someone who wants to see as much as possible in one day. We had more then enough time in Pompeii in my opinion.

We used AP Tours twice and they do a great job, Pompeii in the morning the Amalfi coast in the afternoon dropping you at the ferry. But you don't need a guide to go to Capri. Capri should really be a separate day.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

We did it through Princess, and it was one of the most magical days of my life! To hit 3 of the coolest places in the world in 1 day was just amazing! Yes, it's go go go, but it's well worth it! We were in port with a Norwegian ship and saw pax doing the same tour.

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

I have been to Naples twice... one I went to Pompeii and the other time I went to Capri.

Both times I travelled on my own.

You can get to Pompeii by train. The train station is about 15 minutes walk from the port. It was reasonably hard to find so you might want to download a map before you go. The trains run frequently. Naples was as you would expect. If you are into history then you will love it. I am not and I really just went to say I had been. The heat was oppressive and there is very little shelter.

Capri and Sorrento can be reached by boat via a ferry service which is based right beside the cruise ship dock. There are relatively few ferries each day so you would need to download a timetable before you travel. Capri was beautiful. My wife and I hired a small boat and sailed all the way round.

Sorrento can also be reached by bus or taxi, however I haven't done this.