Upgrade on the Golden?

Momma Mojito

When we sailed New Zealand/Australia on a Princess, we were assigned a mini suite. The ship was "sold out" for about 6 weeks before departure. Much to our surprise we were upgraded to a full suite at check-in in Auckland!!! It was our second Princess cruise. So, anything can happen!

Unlikely but it is still possible as people often cancel cruises so rooms become available. I upgraded myself recently when someone cancelled on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. My TA sent out a notice to passengers that there had been a couple of cancellations and I snagged one of the rooms that (very briefly!) was available. The cruise had been sold out for many months and I figured I was going to have to be happy with the cabin I had but, by responding immediately to the notice, I was able to get a better cabin.

We have an assigned cabin but also said that we would take an upgrade if it was offered. The Golden is listed as sold out as of now. Our cruise is August 20, what do you think the chances are of receiving and upgrade offer?

First realize that the great majority of passengers have the "will accept upgrade" option.

So if some higher cabin categories do open up, there are many passengers who are in contention for the upgrade fairy to point her wand at them.

So, there is always the chance the wand may get pointed your way. Much depends on whether the Princess computers think they can resell your assigned cabin easily.

We have an assigned cabin but also said that we would take an upgrade if it was offered. The Golden is listed as sold out as of now. Our cruise is August 20, what do you think the chances are of receiving and upgrade offer?

A lot can happen from now until sailing date. There really is no way to predict the status of the ship's inventory and berthing so until then it would very hard to give you any probability. Even though the ship is sold out; it might be the ship is undersold on more expensive cabins and oversold on cheaper cabins - so upgrades are very possible plus you don't know how many GTY and group inventory has yet to be berthed. But how the upgrade fairy waves her wand and magically upgrades people is clearly a mystery. Just be happy with your assigned cabin and if you do get upgraded then it all extra gravy.

Oh, I did forget to mention that we will be celebrating our 50th on the Golden.

Celebrating your Golden Anniversary on the Golden Princess - how appropriate! Congratulations and enjoy the extra little perks that Princess will give you for having your 50th with them.

Celebrating your Golden Anniversary on the Golden Princess - how appropriate! Congratulations and enjoy the extra little perks that Princess will give you for having your 50th with them.
What are the perks of a milestone anniversary? I know about the perks for ordinary anniversaries.

What are the perks of a milestone anniversary? I know about the perks for ordinary anniversaries.

This year only if you are on the ship during the month of your 50th Anniversary you will get $50 OBC. If the 50th anniversary is during a different month (this year only), you get a bottle of wine.

Just because the sailing shows sold out does not mean there won't be any movement in cabins. Princess keeps some cabins blocked and there will be a lot of moving around of cabins by Princess in the next 30 days. Yes there is a possibility you could get an upgrade, you just never know. Still a ways out. :)