OK to bring soda on embarkation?

We enjoy bringing our own soda when we travel. Carnival is now restricting to cans; we prefer resealable bottles.

I understand that RCCL's rules prohibit bringing on any beverage - but had read when I looked into this a year ago that they were not enforcing at least for soda.

Is this still the case? What about bringing on in ports?

We enjoy bringing our own soda when we travel. Carnival is now restricting to cans; we prefer resealable bottles.

I understand that RCCL's rules prohibit bringing on any beverage - but had read when I looked into this a year ago that they were not enforcing at least for soda.

You know the rule. They may or may not enforce it. At spring break time, they are much more likely to enforce the ban.

It's not a very common thing and they overlook small amounts. They have multiple beverage packages and freestyle machines available and convenient.

I would disagree- I find the access to included beverages and the freestyle machines very inconvenient when I'm on the pool deck. RC needs self serve stations outside! Not my idea of a good time ...... Waiting at a packed bar for a refill.

I would disagree- I find the access to included beverages and the freestyle machines very inconvenient when I'm on the pool deck. RC needs self serve stations outside! Not my idea of a good time ...... Waiting at a packed bar for a refill.

I can't say I ever had that issue. Whether a drink or soda, I never had an issue getting one. But I do have a question? How is going to your stateroom to grab a soda, and walking back to the pool faster? Grabbing a soda, filled with ice seems to be easier, and more convenient to me anyway.

I don't really care if someone brings on soda. I know it's more money, but I'm on vacation, and there are places all over the ship to get the drink I want. It's just seems extremely inconvenient to always be finding ice and going to your room for a soda.

We brought a couple of six packs on the Oasis last year and really enjoyed having a fresh coke with ice while relaxing in our room. There's just something about a nondiluted coke :D And to add, our room guy knew we wanted fresh ice in the room daily.

Edited by Lisa77064

I can't say I ever had that issue. Whether a drink or soda, I never had an issue getting one. But I do have a question? How is going to your stateroom to grab a soda, and walking back to the pool faster? Grabbing a soda, filled with ice seems to be easier, and more convenient to me anyway.

I don't really care if someone brings on soda. I know it's more money, but I'm on vacation, and there are places all over the ship to get the drink I want. It's just seems extremely inconvenient to always be finding ice and going to your room for a soda.

On RC I have my attendant fill my cooler bag with ice. I bring a water bottle and pop to the pool. You made my point exactly - RC has no drink machines by the pool. Other lines have these outside at both pools (along with multiple soft serve ice cream). The inconvenience forces me to bring drinks on board.

67mixc.jpg

opra5c.jpg

I would find it even more inconvenient to have to go all the way back to my cabin to get another soda whenever I want one. I have never had any problems with getting any kind of drink while on the pool deck.

I would find it even more inconvenient to have to go all the way back to my cabin to get another soda whenever I want one. I have never had any problems with getting any kind of drink while on the pool deck.

When we went on Navigator last year, I bought the soda package and I also brought Dr. Peppers on board. I found that I had to stand in line many times to get a soda. Since I have mobility issues and I am not able to stand for long periods of time, my husband had to stand in line so I could sit down. They really do need to do something to improve this process. If it weren't for being able to have the drinks in the dining room, I wouldn't even buy the soda package.

You must of missed my response: I don't go back to my cabin

On RC I have my attendant fill my cooler bag with ice. I bring a water bottle and pop to the pool. You made my point exactly - RC has no drink machines by the pool. Other lines have these outside at both pools (along with multiple soft serve ice cream). The inconvenience forces me to bring drinks on board.

You are either paying for drinks by the pool or forced to trek thru the Windjammer (totally inconvenient). I plan to avoid this in 55 days if possible

You must of missed my response: I don't go back to my cabin

You are either paying for drinks by the pool or forced to trek thru the Windjammer (totally inconvenient). I plan to avoid this in 55 days if possible

I didn't miss your response, it's more like I misinterpreted your response. In my response I should have expressed my not having an issue because I get a bar attendant that walks through the pool areas to take my drink order and bring it to me.

Edited by Eng23

The busiest place to get a soda, or any drink is the pool area on a sea day, and I have yet never waited in a line. Most times, I never leave my chair.

I guess many people just don't see lugging a "cooler" around, or going back to your stateroom is more convenient. Guess I'm missing something.

I have never had to go back to my room for drinks. I use the RC cooler bag that is required for the beer special. No problem for me to load it up when I go to the pool. Easy to carry, works well, everybody is happy.

I also find a larger cooler bag is useful when I go to shore. We grab drinks at the store an take them with us. The savings goes into my future cruise fund.

bf259i.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like to have a Diet Coke when I wake up in the morning. It's my "coffee". I have no patience at that hour for running around the ship looking for a bar that probably won't be open that early. So how do I get my soda onboard? Would my roll-aboard or checked luggage be better?

I like to have a Diet Coke when I wake up in the morning. It's my "coffee". I have no patience at that hour for running around the ship looking for a bar that probably won't be open that early. So how do I get my soda onboard? Would my roll-aboard or checked luggage be better?

Either would work, and I would suggest cans as the cruise line feels those are harder to use to sneak on alcoholic drinks.

So the 'no nonalcoholic beverages" rule is really about preventing alcohol (except the allowed wine/champagne) from being sneaked onboard! And here I thought that Royal Caribbean had become really greedy in forcing passengers to buy sodas at ship's prices.

I can handle bringing cans if it'll solve my problem. Thank you, clarea.

Me darling wife loves TAB (yuk) and I like Diet Mountain Dew. We have been on six RCCL cruises and have never had a problem bringing two 12 packs on board in our carry-ons.

In all the years we have cruised I have never had a problem bringing water/soda/juice on board.

Now that I buy the pkg, I don't bring water, but hubby likes 7-up so I always bring some of that.

I will say I don't like it when the ships don't have the freestyle machines. On adventure, it was a PITA every morning trying to find a diet coke. I want my coke as soon as I am done with my workout, so usually 7 am. Had to wait, and then wait some more until the bar in WJ opened around 7:30 or 7:45 to get my coke.

Like the other person, my diet coke is like coffee to the rest of you. I want it first thing in the morning. Hubby can get coffee at 6 am, why can't I get a diet coke that early????? Only ships with the freestyle machines gives me that option.

The other thing I like about the freestyle machines is I can get caffeine free diet coke as I try to stay away from caffeine. so while I want it first thing in the morning after I work out, I think it is more the salt I crave after sweating in the gym since the caffeine is not what I want.

• 5 months later...
I have never had to go back to my room for drinks. I use the RC cooler bag that is required for the beer special. No problem for me to load it up when I go to the pool. Easy to carry, works well, everybody is happy.

I also find a larger cooler bag is useful when I go to shore. We grab drinks at the store an take them with us. The savings goes into my future cruise fund.

bf259i.jpg

Can you tell me more about the beer special? Do you have to buy the RC bag and then they fill it up for a discounted price? Do they supply the bag when you buy a "bucket" of beer?

Thanks

Same here but I normally prefer Pepsi. If it is convenient for me to pick up a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi before heading to the port I will do that. If not, then I just drink the Diet Coke or Pepsi that is in the mini bar. I know I will have to pay for it even though I will have the beverage pkg but one soda a day is not going to break the bank. We will be on the Navigator next week and it's my understanding there are no freestyle machines. I am not about to go in search of an open bar for a soda first thing every morning. Since we will be in Ft Lauderdale for 2 days pre cruise I will probably have a chance to pick up a 12 pack. If they let it through, great, if not, oh well, no big loss. I won't claim it at the end of the cruise because we will be flying. I'm sure it won't go to waste. SOMEONE will get a free 12 pack of soda. :D

You can bring soda on board in your carryon. There lot of reasons why people want to do that.

1--Taste of the brand. Since royal used Coke . I like Pepsi. Other want 7 up or anything that is not Coke related products.

2--Maybe the original post just want a glass of soda in the main dining room. Since there is lemonade on board for sweet taste bud, but people want their own soda.

3-- Sometime those soda in freestyle may run out of syrup. Yes i work with these machine before and they have syrup bag to make it soda. If that run out are you willing to wait probably forever for them to change it and thn you might have to cram with other people who using another freestyle somewhere close by.

To OP, there is 8 pack case out there that is in plastic bottle that is the same size of 12 oz can. You can buy more of these soda as well at port in local drug store. Also i put one bottle of my own soda in the mini fridge and they are cold enough to drink it.

I don't drink coffee either, but I do like a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper with breakfast sometimes. Pretty frequently I've been unable to get a soda from the Windjammer bar along with breakfast -- it isn't always open -- and we aren't 'specially early breakfast eaters.

I like to bring a couple screw-top bottles onboard, and -- if I feel like it -- I take one with me to breakfast, then I just get a glass of ice from the (free) main drink station.

So bring it with you when you head out of your cabin for the pool. If you want another later, you might feel like a stretch break and might head back to the cabin, or you might buy one from the bar. Why make something so simple sound so difficult?

So if they confiscate your soda, do you have to go to the naughty room? Or do they take it away and/or hold it until the end of the cruise?

I just don't want to go to the naughty room! ;)

you will be fine. a lot of people do this. Just put in your carry on. Just make sure all the plastic seal on your case stay intact, no sign of ripping it before going to security. i bought an 8 pack of plastic soda bottle and it had a shrink wrap around it. i never touch the wrap even tho i want to put more in the bag. When you go thru security, they only want to verify what all those bottle. I said soda.