Does the upsell fairy negotiate?

flyboyswife

I've been called more than once, but never with a price that made me want to change cabins. They wouldn't negotiate but they did offer other cabin types at small discounts. They've tried to get me out of the L shaped cabins a couple of times but I didn't want to pay the upsell.

I have done 9 carnival cruises and I have been called for upsell 4 times, we took 2 of the offers, they would not negotiate.

3 Royal cruises ..... No upsell calls

Edited by dwaterhouse

When I got my only call, I asked if there were any other cabins to upgrade to at a lower price. No. Then I asked if he would call me back with an offer for the cabin that was vacated when somebody else took the upgrade offer. He told me it would be the same category as the cabin I had booked because the offer was being extended only to "Platinums booked in insides". I hinted very nicely about a lower price and was told "No" very nicely. Then I came to my senses and accepted the offer.

On my January Ecstasy cruise last year we were booked in an inside cabin on deck 9. We loved the location.

Got an upsell call for a mini-suite right across the hall for $150.00 more per person. We had faster to the fun so with the mini-suite we could cancel that and save $50.00 but we really didn't want to spend an extra $250.00.

I told them we would take the upgrade for $100.00 per person. She went and talked to her supervisor and they agreed. Woo hoo.

For the record....a mini-suite on Ecstasy is really just a balcony room. Have no idea why it was considered a SUITE. But we did like the perks we got.

So.....I guess it can't hurt to ask for what you want. Worst they can say is no. But you could get lucky.

We have our 23rd cruise booked with Carnival and have never received an upgrade or upsell call from them. Beyond me how they decide who is going to get the call. We have booked thru the cruise line, with an on-line TA and a brick and mortar TA, so guess it doesn't matter. Maybe they just draw names out of a hat!!

I've been called a couple of times but it is always a "take it or leave it" offer. Never did take it because it was always a HUGE upsell on a short cruise we booked at the last minute and had no intention of paying another $750 each for the Owner's Suite.:eek::eek:

I got a couple of email offers to ungraded which I turned down because we selected our room carefully, unless they offered us a suite for nearly free we will stick with our bowling alley balcony.

Got the call twice, always non-negotiable. Once was an inside Lido to Balcony Lido for $25 a day... Deal

BUT

2nd Time was Balcony to Spa Balcony for $50 cash and all the OBC I had gotten with price reduction so. I had to ask to use the OBC but they allowed it Deal.

Never book Spa, never will again but loved trying it.

FWIW

I sailed on Carnival, 10 times- last year. No calls, but they probably know better than to waste any time with me. :) I'm a clear bottom feeder, and never pay for more than the minimum available at the time of booking. :)

I had one upsell call. I was booked in an OV and they offered me a spa balcony for quite a bit more. I replied that I was interested in a cove balcony but not the more expensive spa balcony.

He said he would see if someone with a cove balcony wanted the spa balcony then get back to me.

Sure enough, next day he called back and offered me the cove for just a little more and we jumped on it.

I've been called a couple of times but it is always a "take it or leave it" offer. Never did take it because it was always a HUGE upsell on a short cruise we booked at the last minute and had no intention of paying another $750 each for the Owner's Suite.:eek::eek:

I always wondered if I got a good deal or not when we were offered the Owner's Suite on Ecstacy for $2500 additional (5 day cruise) plus our already fully paid balcony fares. There were 3 of us, wife and I and elderly father-in-law. Apparently you got a better deal. :beer:

I suppose it may make a difference what catagory one is starting from--we had a obstructed balcony originally. I gotta say, the OS was nice, but it seemed like a lot of money at the time (2010 or 11).

Edited by Hawaiifrank