Can't Decide! Any big NCL fans and why?

Hi everyone! Trying to decide on our first family cruise...we are a big family of six with four kids ranges 6-13. I currently have a DCL on the Wonder booked, and a RCC on the Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) booked, and just now noticed NCL! Ahhh! I know...too many choices and I'm way indecisive. Honestly I haven't heard much about NCL....I feel after DCL, RCC comes up next...BUT the idea of cool, NEW ships on NCL has me thinking. There is an Escape cruise that would work with our schedule. And I imagine it's like the Getaway, which has good reviews, right? What are your experiences? Why are you choosing to cruise NCL over the others? Thank you for any help!:D

The biggest reason for me to cruise NCL is the whole freestyle dining concept. I enjoy eating where and when I want, and I don't have to pack formal wear. The NCL "dress up" night is optional. Pants and a collared shirt are required in Le Bistro and one of the MDRs for dinner always, but that's it.

Hi everyone! Trying to decide on our first family cruise...we are a big family of six with four kids ranges 6-13. I currently have a DCL on the Wonder booked, and a RCC on the Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) booked, and just now noticed NCL! Ahhh! I know...too many choices and I'm way indecisive. Honestly I haven't heard much about NCL....I feel after DCL, RCC comes up next...BUT the idea of cool, NEW ships on NCL has me thinking. There is an Escape cruise that would work with our schedule. And I imagine it's like the Getaway, which has good reviews, right? What are your experiences? Why are you choosing to cruise NCL over the others? Thank you for any help!:D

What first got us to try NCL years back was the price - it was comparable to Carnival, and much lower than all the rest of the big lines. That's become less necessary nowadays, but still nice.

Having done RCC in the past, as well as several others, but not DCL, the thing that first kept me coming back to NCL was the freestyle and anytime dining. While we've always had good luck with our table mates on fixed dining cruises, there's something nice about not needing to rush or wait for dinner. Since then, I know lots of other lines have introduced this concept, but when we recently did it on Princess last summer, it wasn't handled quite as smoothly as it is on NCL. We've liked the variety of specialty restaurants as well, even if we only do a few of them on each cruse.

We also REALLY like the quality of entertainment on NCL compared to a lot of the other lines, but I believe DCL and RCC have good entertainment as well, relative to the others. That said, Howl at the Moon, the dueling pianos exclusive to NCL, has been a favorite of ours in the recent years.

I sailed adventure in February and I would take NCL hands down. Service was awful on adventure. Food was mediocre and hated that there were times you couldn't get food unless you went to the promenade. I'm not a huge eater, but the offerings on getaway 24/7 were great. One sea day took 35 minutes to get a cocktail on adventure. Just not impressed. I had a great time because of the people I was with and the ports. I didn't care for the ship. After just getting off getaway and comparing the 2 it's like night and day. I wish I could sail getaway again!

A Southern Caribbean cruise in on our bucket list, and we looked at the one on Adventure last year for our honeymoon. However, after reading ship reviews, we just couldn't get excited about it, and then found an 8-day on Royal's Independence of the Seas with an itinerary we liked better (plus it was a day longer than the Southern itinerary).

While we enjoyed the cruise on the Indy, we'd previously sailed the NCL Epic (as well as other lines). NCL has the freestyle dining down really well, and I agree with the previous poster who said that while other lines offer a version of it, it's not as smoothly handled as freestyle. Plus, we enjoy being pretty relaxed and casual while on vacation, and NCL's ships offer that moreso than our RCCL cruise on the Indy, IMO. If we didn't want to dress up on formal nights on the Indy, we felt relegated to the buffet, and we prefer eating in the MDRs. Food, while subjective, we much prefer on NCL. My not-picky-eater DH really disliked the food on RCCL.

What works for us may not work for you. But if the Escape fits into your schedule and budget, you really can't go wrong sailing on a brand new ship! We've got two cruises booked on her and can't wait.

Happy deciding!

An added advantage is the loyalty program on NCL, it only took us 5 cruises to achieve the highest (platinum) status, plus your children can accumulate points so that they could get platinum status for their 18th birthday. NCL has enough variety so you can see the Western Hemisphere plus Europe as well as on any other line.

I cruise ncl because of the NYC convenience

The extra long January cruises that fit my college kids schedule

The rock bottom price I've gotten 2 years running

I also have a family of 6 and have done dcl in the Carib and ccl and princess in the med

Why? Because they fit our needs at the time...just like ncl is currently fitting our needs at this time

We would like to do Bermuda but ncl is too pricey in the summer....so we would consider the much better priced celebrity

Bottom line....we cruise what fits our needs...

Time...ports....price....

Whatever works for us

That being said....with your kids ages...and it being your first cruise....

IMHO. I would do the very overpriced yet incredible Disney cruise

I feel dcl is a once and done cruise due to their very high prices but your kids are perfect for it so I say do it

We did it when we had a 3 to 13 year olds....and it hooked us on cruising as a family

Trust me the $6600 cruise only I paid for dcl was ridiculous but it was an incredible cruise...that btw was extended by 4 days due to being diverted...to great sunny ports...due to hurricane Frances in 2004! 😎

Once you have done dcl then for the future look for deals...but do try dcl once while the kids are still kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disney is more expensive. So, you might try a comparable experience on NCL by booking a full suite. Can't be beat.

Yeah but Disney is really special...for a first cruise especially with youngish kids

Certainly a once and done cruise line though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can only compare to RCCL.

1. Freestyle dining. I hate dressing up and I hate specific dining times. I also don't like sitting with strangers who may or may not be compatible.

2. Better entertainment. I think that's generally agreed.

3. Better private island. Granted it's been 10 years, but I liked GSC more than Coco Cay.

4. Friendlier crew. Might just be my opinion.

What's unique about NCL

1. Freestyle - That's not just anytime dining either. You eat with who you want, and when you want. It's also the dinner dress code. In most venues shorts with a collar shirt is fine. There are a couple of venues were long pants are required, but those can be nice jeans.
  2. No formal nights. They do a have a "dress up or not" night or two on each cruise. It's completely up to you whether you dress up or not. Sure saves on packing, if you're into the formal thing.
  3. Dining options. NCL has by far more dining options than any other cruise line, especially on the newer ships like Getaway and Escape. I believe Escape has 21 different options, if you're not in the haven.
  4. Excellent entertainment options. While other lines have this too, some venues are unique to NCL.

Most of the rest is fairly close for mainstream cruise lines. While everyone has their own preference, the list above does differentiate NCL.

I've not actually sailed on NCL yet so can't compare but have sailed RCCL, HAL, Princess and Carnival. Enjoyed them all (RCCL the least though) and have found there are more similarities than differences.

We chose NCL for our May 2016 Med cruise because it was the best (IMHO) itinerary available at the best price.

We then chose our upcoming Getaway cruise that we are going on with our kids because it fit our schedule, allowed us to sign beer/wine waivers for our college aged kids, and it's a new ship with lots to do.

We're not wedded to any one line so choose what fits our needs best at the time.

If you check my sig, you'll see I've cruised all three lines that you are considering. With kids that age, you can't go wrong with DCL if it fits your budget. I don't see a ton of difference between RCI and NCL in te overall scheme. I do like the more laid back atmosphere of NCL over RCI. I like being able to eat when I want and where I want. I like the suite life of NCL over both RCI and DCL. The specialty restaurants offer better variety, but Palo and Remy on DCL are over the top special. I can cruise top line in a suite on NCL and pay for excursions for what a balcony room on DCL costs. There are more adult oriented activites on NCL and RCI than on DCL (in my opinion). When my kids were young DCL was a magical thing. Now they just like to cruise, so I go for value and that's what keeps me coming back to NCL.

Tell us a little more about the make-up of your family, ages, likes, dislikes, of both adults and kids, etc. That way we'll be able to provide a little more insight. While I haven't sailed DCL, I have sailed the others and had a great to awesome time.

Thanks for the info! Do you think the DCL would still be good for my 13,13, and 12 year-olds? They are all boys, and my daughter will be 6. I just don't know what my boys will do? I have to say the pools on the Wonder on DCL look lame :(. And I do love the "magic" of Disney...so I know we will love the nightly shows...but sorry...the other cruise entertainment looks so cheesy to me! I hope I'm wrong!:D

Thanks for the info! Do you think the DCL would still be good for my 13,13, and 12 year-olds? They are all boys, and my daughter will be 6. I just don't know what my boys will do? I have to say the pools on the Wonder on DCL look lame :(. And I do love the "magic" of Disney...so I know we will love the nightly shows...but sorry...the other cruise entertainment looks so cheesy to me! I hope I'm wrong!:D

They will be playing the video games in the Kids Club area.... as to cheesy entertainment, that is on Disney! ;)

I would guess your kids would love the water slides and ropes course on NCL. If the 6 year old would go to kids club, NCL getaway had fun stuff for the 6-9 group. My daughter went to a pj party, got her face painted, treasure hunts. Lots of fun. Illusionarium was fantastic on getaway. So much more for kids on the 'away ships and the escape than the adventure. DCL will be magical too. But you have to weigh the cost option

We've cruised DCL a bunch and we're total Disney fanatics. (We own DVC, we visit Disney World two or three times a year.) We haven't sailed NCL yet, but we have a sailing on the Breakaway scheduled for Spring Break 16.

I would be hard pressed to compare the Wonder with any of the modern ships. And I would be hard pressed to choose the Wonder at a rate higher than being on another line's modern ship.

The Wonder launched in 1999 and is the second oldest in Disney's fleet and hasn't seen an extensive dry dock. The rumor I heard is that they have to keep it small (not adding the aft fishtail) in order for the ship to continue to fit through the panama canal until the expansion is finished.

We sailed the Magic last year for Christmas and she HAS had an extensive dry dock and is still showing her age.

If we were talking about the Fantasy, I would choose DCL every time. But between the Getaway or the Wonder, I would choose the Getaway or another new ship.

I have 2 daughters that are both 15 (now), we sailed in January on DCL. They had a good time, but really didn't get into the characters or clubs at all. They haven't been to the clubs since they were little. I don't make them go if they don't want to, as it is their vacation as well. I think that unless they are really active in the clubs and hang with the other kids, their is not a lot that is really geared to their age group on DCL. Younger kids for sure, but after about 10-12 it gets harder for them to be entertained. On of my daughters saw every movie that they played in the theater. We just came back from Bermuda on the Dawn, they had a better time, mainly because we were off the ship. There was less for them to do on the ship, but the minded less, because we could spend as much time on shore as we wanted. Our next cruise is on the Getaway and I think that there will be plenty to keep them entertained. I did an apples to apples comparison between DCL, NCL and RCI for a western 7 day next summer, DCL was the most expensive followed by NCL and then RCI, but when you factored in the UDP and UBP it was a no brainer.

Edited by johnlatte

We've cruised on a few different lines, Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Premier (the company and the ship, sunk) and for the most part they are all very similar.

These days we seldom choose a cruise based on itinerary, we've been just about everywhere in the Caribbean, often 4 or 5 times. So we tend to choose based on price/value and specific amenities.

We used to cruise on NCL exclusively, because we liked the amenities (both pre and post Free Style Dining) and always had a great experience and felt it was a good value.

A few years back we found an awesome deal on a Carnival 17 night Trans-Atlantic (~$800 for a quad inside cabin) and we really enjoyed the Camp Carnival program.

Since then we have been choosing Carnival for each of our cruises because of Camp Carnival and we tend to get really great pricing. What stands out about Camp Carnival over other lines children's programs? Really its a single thing, they are open pretty much all day and they take the kids for dinner, every night but the first night and for free. This seems like a small thing, but dragging children to the main dining room, the steakhouse or other restaurant can have mixed results. With Camp Carnival, we drop the kids off with the Camp Carnival staff at 5pm in the Lido Buffett and they feed the kids and take them back to Camp Carnival for the rest of the evening. This allows the wife and I the ability to enjoy a nice quiet sit down meal without kids getting bored and getting into trouble.

In a couple of weeks we going on the NCL Getaway, I am excited about experiencing this newer ship and all of its amenities, but I am nervous about not being able to take the kids to Splash Academy until 7pm. I will survive and just have to feed the kids earlier in the buffet and then enjoy the steakhouse later after I drop off the kids.

Something else that effects our choices when it comes to the different cruise lines is Interline Deals. My wife works for an Airline and some of the cruise lines offer greatly discounted cruise fare to employees of other cruise lines, airlines, etc. In our experience Carnival tends to offer more and better Interline rates. NCL rarely offers these and often when they do they are more restrictive than other lines.

One other thing to add, is food. Most cruise lines have cut back so much on the variety and quality of food and the service level in the dining rooms has declined from what it was a few years ago. We have found that overall the food and service quality tends to be a little better on NCL over Carnival. Although on any line, if I want higher quality food and service, I go to the Steakhouse.

It sounds like you (the OP) are trying a few different cruise lines and you should. Try several and find what you and your family likes the best.

We're sailing with 5 kids (6,8,10,14,17) on the Getaway next week. They are all so excited with all of the things to do. I would definitely recommend Getaway or Escape. I think the Wonder is the worst of the Disney ships (and I'm not a huge fan of the Magic either). At least on the Fantasy there would be things that your older boys might enjoy but I'd definitely skip the Wonder. And as much as I love the Fantasy with a big family, the cost would be insane.

I would not give up DCL for NCL. No one does it like Disney!

We're sailing with 5 kids (6,8,10,14,17) on the Getaway next week. They are all so excited with all of the things to do. I would definitely recommend Getaway or Escape. I think the Wonder is the worst of the Disney ships (and I'm not a huge fan of the Magic either). At least on the Fantasy there would be things that your older boys might enjoy but I'd definitely skip the Wonder. And as much as I love the Fantasy with a big family, the cost would be insane.

I have to agree with this. Our last cruise on the Wonder was disappointing. The ship is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but it creeks and squeeks all night long (so does the Magic, but I haven't been on their other ships).

With kids though, I have to say, Disney does a great job. For kids who really love Disney, it's a fantastic experience. If the kids like the theme parks but are not into everything-Disney all the time, especially those in the 10-teen range, I think one of the newer NCL ships might be a lot more fun.

Edited by fshagan

We have done Disney twice and while we loved it, we are done with it. I think with teenage boys unless they are disney nuts, will be bored. My daughter, now 8, loved it but it is very girl centric in my opinion. We also found the kids club lacking. Also if the adults like to gamble or want any night life, you will not get it on Disney. But the food is far better than any other line and the service is amazing and the ships are beautiful.

RCCL, we have only been on once, Allure of the Seas and absolutely hated it. It was way too big for us and we waited in line for everything. Waiting 30 minutes to even get into the buffet for breakfast is unacceptable to me. I also thought the food was not good at all. Also the staff and guests were beyond rude We ate 5 dinners at Johnny Rockets because we did not like any of the MDR food. BUT my daughter loved the boat. She thought it was so much fun and loved all the activities. We will give RCCL another shot on a smaller boat as I'm chalking up our disaster vacation to a bad week.

We now cruise NCL most of the time. Did the breakaway twice and Gem twice as well and have another booked in 3 weeks. We love the suites and the Haven. DD has fun with the activities and we like the entertainment.

So long story short, everyone has likes and dislikes about every line. You need to see what your group wants to do and whats most important and go from there when choosing.